On 09/12/2023 at 09:02, Neil said:

I'm sure that I have read somewhere (on the internet) of others experiencing wifi issues at exhibitions where home use was faultless. The thought was the cause might be interferance from other layouts in the hall also using wifi. Sorry I can't offer any more as I'm no expert in either dcc or wifi.

I actually fitted a wired handset to get round this loco control was fine it was the point control and route setting I now need to fix. 

Will have a think before it’s next outing, which is in June 24 at Elderslie.

Thanks, 

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year!!!

Happy New Year everyone. Luckily I have a loco numbered 2024 so that gave an obvious excuse for the new year message….

Happy New Year 2024

Happy New Year 2024

Happy New Year 2024

Just before Christmas I added a chance purchase of a Van Biervliet class 25/0. I saw a post on FB on a random Model Railway group of the window of the Menzels shop and they had the locomotive at a sale price so emailed the shop and it was on its way to the U.K. shortly after.

As expected I had to pay VAT to have it delivered. On putting the locomotive on the track it moved for about 50cm and stopped. 

It transpired the plastic balls (which connect to the Cardenshaft) at the top of the bogie gear towers had become loose. Following a bit of research it seems this is a very common fault. Menzels were happy to refund the locomotive purchase price but obviously I’d have to try and get the VAT back. They didn’t have another locomotive to exchange it with.

The internet suggested supergluing the balls back on which at least gave me a working locomotive again. The long term solution is to replace the bit with a Roco part which I will probably do in due course. 

SNCB 2507 - Van Biervliet

SNCB 2507 - Van Biervliet

One final arrival for 2023 was yet another 62 this time in Locon orange livery.  The loco is on the shed for repairs from its Dutch owners. 9802 was formally ACTS 6702, before that it was SNCB 6325. The locomotive will be fitted with LED lights in due course.

Locon 9802 - Roco

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 02/01/2024 at 19:51, Neils WRX said:

One final arrival for 2023 was yet another 62 this time in Locon orange livery.  The loco is on the shed for repairs from its Dutch owners. 9802 was formally ACTS 6702, before that it was SNCB 6325. The locomotive will be fitted with LED lights in due course.

Locon 9802 - Roco

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil, this looks remarkably like a loco I was keeping my eye on on the pre-owned eBay website of a well-known UK retailer recently.  If it is indeed the one, niceto know it’s gone to the right home.  Looking forward to more in 2024: always good to read and watch your updates here, Keith.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi Neil, this looks remarkably like a loco I was keeping my eye on on the pre-owned eBay website of a well-known UK retailer recently.  If it is indeed the one, niceto know it’s gone to the right home.  Looking forward to more in 2024: always good to read and watch your updates here, Keith.

Hi Keith,

I’m guessing it is… I’m a bit of a sucker for 62’s….

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, swisspeat said:

This layout appears in the Feb 24 issue of the excellent magazine Modelspoormagazine.

Well done Neil!

And you made the front cover....

Peter

I know really chuffed!!!!

Front Cover

:-) :-)

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Photos 

Just a few pictures for this update.

9101 on 3 x4 wheel tankers

SNCB 9101 - Van Biervliet

5505 on the Fuel point 

SNCB 5505 - Van Biervliet

Green diesels by BBC a Roco

Green Diesels - Roco

Finally I’ve printed the magazine cover off and it’s on the wall!!

Train Miniature Magazine Cover

Hopefully next update something will have happened!!

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, went to ModelRail Scotland on Friday as punter rather than an exhibitor (never had an invite).

Enjoyed the exhibition and brought a few odds and ends but no rolling stock.

Thought it was an excellent exhibition and foreign layout wise liked the TT Czech layout (which is starting to give me ideas), as well as the Swiss Twins. Neither of which I’d seen before. 

Was a bit disappointed with Eastfield, very impressive to look at but not much moving (on Friday), Wellpark and Gresty Bridge were excellent as always.

One purchase I did make was a DCConcepts Alpha meter which I can use on both layouts as I’m going to put it in a Tupperware box.

The peak power usage seems to be when I change routes on the Z21 and the point motors activate. Not sure what it tells me, I have seem a peak amps of about 1.2-1.3 amps, although normally this sits around the 0.8 mark which is well within the Z21 capacity.

Here’s a picture to make the post more interesting…

Mehano 2633

Sncb 2633 Mehano

5205 by Roco 

SNCB 5205 -Roco

5541 by Marklin 

Sncb 5541 - Marklin

Also earlier this year added sound to my other 44 railcar (forgot to post this so it never happened….)

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

First update for a month or so.

One new addition 2863 by Piko, model came from Lippe and I used some vouchers I got at Christmas.

SNCB 2863 - Piko

A few random other pictures from the Facebook Page.

7617 by Piko 

SNCB 7617 - Piko

513-10 by ESU

Lineas 513-10 ESU

1502 by LS Models

SNCB 1502 - LS Models

5102 & 5183 by Mehano 

SNCB 5102 & 5183 Mehano

5931 by Van Biervliet 

SNCB 5931 - Van Biervliet

Thanks,

Neil