hi neil

i love your czech layout and fantastic collection of belgian, danish and czech trains. i like esp. like your ex ns 2200 recent acquisitions. 

are you using peco code 75 track on the new layout?  do your trix / marklin trains run on it ok? i read elsewhere the flange depth causes issues. 

cheers

tim

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bluedepot said:

hi neil

i love your czech layout and fantastic collection of belgian, danish and czech trains. i like esp. like your ex ns 2200 recent acquisitions. 

are you using peco code 75 track on the new layout?  do your trix / marklin trains run on it ok? i read elsewhere the flange depth causes issues. 

cheers

tim

Thanks for the positive comments :-)

I'm cheating and using Peco code 100 because of the wheel flange issues.

I fairness with a bit of weathering etc I think I can get something that doesn't look to bad. I am using a sleeper spacing tool for the first time as well so interested to see what thats like on a bit of flex track.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 1

hi neil

can you make a video demonstrating the sleeper spacing tool please? where did you buy it from? 

once the rail sides are painted i think you are right and code 100 looks ok. 

i was looking at roco line track which is code 83 but it is quite expensive. 

good luck with the track laying

tim

I used the sleeper spacing tools on the first bit of flex track, it’s a bit of a faff cutting all the sleeper spacers, guess it’s a bit like building track.

Anyway I think the spacing does look a bit better.

Flexi Track - Sleeper Spacing Tool

I will use the tool on all the sidings and running lines when I get round to properly laying track. Still awaiting the cork underlay.

The track at the rear of the layout will be fitted with OHLE so here is a posed picture of a Mehano class 26.

SNCB 2633 - Mehano

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 5

i really like the re-spaced sleepers! but yes it does seem like it would be annoying having to cut all the sleeper joins and then to make sure the sleepers are straight as well before gluing the track down! 

do you know if trix wheels will run on roco or tillig code 83 track ok?  or can you buy replacement wheels with smaller flanges to fit trix/marklin? 

do you have any belgian signals? (either lights or mechanical)

cheers

tim

9 hours ago, bluedepot said:

do you know if trix wheels will run on roco or tillig code 83 track ok?  or can you buy replacement wheels with smaller flanges to fit trix/marklin? 

do you have any belgian signals? (either lights or mechanical)

cheers

tim

Really not sure about the Trix flanges some are really a bit chunky. I guess you could do something if you have a lathe?

re signals, I do have a couple of kits I brought a few years back for colour light ones, but I have seen much better ones online so I might invest in one, I might also go for a level crossing by the shed on the Electric “bypass line / headshunt”, but those are future jobs.

Just about to start track laying, I have rigged up my first Colbalt IP as a test and eventually managed to get it working with my Z21.

One question I do have is do I have to remove the springs from my Peco points? Or do I leave them as they are?

Stay safe,

Neil

C0F25CBB-19F5-410D-95A2-C14B7B7CBDAD.png

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 1

Track Laying has started :D

Track laying has started

The track is being temporary pinned until it’s ballasted and glued.

The aim is wire the first five point motors, and add the Bus and track feeds before lying the next lot.

Track laying has started

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5

5 Colbalt IP’s wired up and tested.

i especially like the route setting on the Z21 as I can set up flank protection on the points automatically.

Only negative is that the motors are a bit noisy.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Back from a week’s holiday on Mull (which is a smashing place to go, like Skye but without the hoards of tourists) so it’s back to doing some modelling.

Another major step forward the track power bus was connected and I ran a couple of shunters up and down on the tracks that have been laid so far.

We have power!!

Next job, will be to lay the double slip and a few more sidings.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 7

Work has continued and track laying on the scenic board has finished, just need to wire it now.

This is the view towards the fiddle yard, with the rear 2 tracks the end of the carriage sidings.

Track laying complete

This is the shed shed end of the layout, the rear track is the “bypass” line, the shed will be a 5 road low relief building with 4 roads going through to a second fiddle yard. At home the layout will only normally have a fiddle yard on the right hand side.

Track laying complete

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 7

This week I’ve finished the”first fix” electrics and I’ve run the first locomotive from the fiddle yard.

Thought it was worth a suitable beer to celebrate!!

First loco from the fiddle yard on to the new layout

Only issue is the double slip which isn’t behaving as it should !!

I’ve also loosely fitted the external frame, this will come off when I paint the back scene etc.

New layout !!

Stay safe everyone.

Neil

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

First video from the new layout.

Here 5403 has arrived on an ECS, is detached and then stabled “in front of the shed” (where it will be eventually). The loco model is by Roco fitted with Loksound chip loaded  with a Dirk Sound file, the coaches are by Marklin.

Only issue is I still haven’t got the double slip working properly, which means the route setting through the double slip doesn’t work.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 2

Today’s update, double slip fixed :-)

I could upload a video of the points changing but that would be a bit dull....

All the route setting now works properly which is great fun. Even tempted to retro-fit the Czech layout with digital IP point motors now, just to have the flexibility of route setting.

As I’m awaiting some paint for the sleepers and track, I need to paint the backscene as well but need a few dry days ( fat chance of that in the West Scotland).

So I’ve been playing trains, here a Luxembourg visitor arrives for fuel having worked in on a freight service. Model is by Van Biervliet / B Models.

CFL 1803 - B Models

A class 51 (by Mehano) is sat in the carriage sidings ticking over.

SNCB 5183 - Mehano

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 3

On 16/04/2020 at 23:43, Neils WRX said:

Klein Modellbahn - Zinc Pest

The solution seems to be to push the floors out, and add a new floor and load to reduce the amount of distortion.

Actually, given that these wagons are used for scrap service and tend to get a hefty beating the only thing missing is a bit of weathering... (actually the side needs to be bowed a bit back...)

Cheers Nicholas

This week I’ve been mainly been playing trains!!

I have a significant number of Belgian models and can operate the layout in a number of different time periods.

I can run class 60’s and mainly green liveried diesels of the early 1980’s

SNCB 5166 & 60’s

I can run “Round Nose” Nohabs of the 1980’s and 1990’s.

SNCB CFL Round Noses

As well as the 90’s Yellow and Green diesels I can skip forward to the late 2000’s and run class 77’s and Infrabel liveried class 62’s.

SNCB 77’s

A new addition is a Piko 80 class shunter this replaces a Roco non DCC version which has departed via a well known auction site. The Piko model obviously includes lights and sound.

SNCB 8045 - Piko

As per my previous layouts I’ve built a couple or very rough constructions in paper and cardboard to get a feel of size and look.

First is the bridge at right hand end of the layout. The actual bridge will be a Bow String girder bridge, which will be bright blue in colour.

Scenicbreak / Bridge

At the other end will be a 5 road shed based loosely on the one at Gouvy.

Cardboard Depot

Cardboard shed

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 7

The last week I’ve moved on to painting the track, a very slow process. I will add a second coat this week. I have also marked the positions of the catenary masts and I will do a test fix of these in due course.

On the subject of electric locomotives here is 2611 on the bypass line.

SNCB 2611 - Mehano

I’m going to add the dummy point motors, cable troughing and concrete walkways before starting to lay the ballast.

Next job ballasting

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5

You have done a great job painting the rails.

What paint did you use please?

I presume brush painted?

Thanks.

Pete

P.S. keep taking Step by Step pictures as you go. They would be great for a magazine article in Continental Modeller or Modelspoormagazine.

• Like 1

OHLE

The track was hand painted, I’ve used Precision Paints Track Colour, I will paint one of the sidings with rusty rail colour as that gives a more realistic effect in my opinion.

I’ve drilled holes for the OHLE masts and temporally mounted them to check the wire runs.

The catenary uses Belgian style masts and wire which is of course by Sommerfeldt. I had a load of OHLE masts “in stock” so have just used those. I do want pantographs running along the wire although it won’t be powered, so just for show.

Here are a few pictures:-

SNCB ohle - Sommerfeldt

SNCB ohle - Sommerfeldt

SNCB ohle - Sommerfeldt

Next job will be finish laying the cable troughing, and more track painting.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 6

Three ages of electricity

As well as being able to run several different periods for diesels I can do the same for electric locomotives.

As I have some temporary wire up here are a few photos. These two lines at the back of the layout are carriage sidings. These lines will be occupied by local commuter trains (known as P Trains) at the start and end of day. 

First electric livery was green so here is a Roco class 20 and Trix class 23

SNCB Green Electrics

Next livery was yellow and blue, again with a Roco class 20 and a Trix class 22.

SNCB Yellow and Blue Electrics

Then there was blue and yellow another Roco class 20 and a 27 by LS Models.

SNCB Blue and Yellow electrics

I really should add a class 13 to the roster at some point.

By the time the new class 18’s and 28’s turned up the local passenger trains had all gone over to units, and the shed was being used by Infrabel.

Must get back to painting track......

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Two feet is better than one

As I mentioned earlier in this thread the layout is designed for both exhibition and home use.

At home I don’t currently have space to set the layout up with both fiddle yards in my railway room / office / museum of my life, so I just use a “temporary” one foot one which is fine for most circumstances, and allows me to play trains.

Should the layout ever go on the road then the one foot fiddle yard will be replaced by a two foot long one, which will give a much longer off scene headshunt.

So I’ve assembled the larger fiddle yard and temporarily erected it to test it. The board will be supported by another A-Frame, when it’s used on future occasions.

Larger Fiddle Yard

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 3