Mk2 coach cross section drawing with dimensions

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have a cross section drawing of mark2 stock with dimensions please? I'm after stuff like width of underframe, radius of curves etc.

I know when I asked about Mk1 coaches many years back someone gave me the exact drawing, hoping for a second success!

Thanks in advance

Andi

13 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Don't forget the Swsindon prototype FK had a rather different body profile.

The book mentioned above has a whole section on the Swindon prototype Mk2, W13252, including photos of it under construction and after completion in lined maroon, and reproductions of official drawings including the underframe. The book also deals with the ancestry of the mark 2. 

9 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

The book mentioned above has a whole section on the Swindon prototype Mk2, W13252, including photos of it under construction and after completion in lined maroon, and reproductions of official drawings including the underframe. The book also deals with the ancestry of the mark 2. 

Indeed - a fascinating book ............ though coverage of the AM10 / 312 classes is oddly sparse. ( The N.I.R. '80' class gets more column inches.)

• RMweb Gold

5 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Unfortunately the only copy I can find for sale online is around £60! Anyone know where I can get it for slightly less?

Andi

I wouldn't be too worried Andi, it's not as good as the Parkin Mk1 books IMHO, keep your powder dry until you find a more sensibly priced one.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

One thing I was going to add was the dimensioned drawings do not include curve radii - for instance the body sides have a curve to cover the sole bar and although dimensions are shown for the depth to the sole bar and bottom of the body you'd have to deduce the curve radius. Also the mk 2 Pullmans have a flatter side profile than the subtle curve of the side of the regular mk 2s - what that difference is, is not stated or shown. There are various dimensions related to the widths over gutters etc etc. 

What the value of the book is to anyone depends on your outlook - as a mid to late 60s era youngster enthusiast living near the WCML services, this book had far more relevance to me and my memories of the renewed railway than the mk 1 book - however I had planned to get that after the mk2 one - and never did..... I guess I would pay quite a lot for one now.

Edited by MidlandRed

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

There's a file showing cross section in Robert Carrolls BR Coaching Stock group on groups.io

I don't think the rules permit me to post or link to it, but joining the group is straightforward.

https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/

Thanks,

I'm a member of that group but can't see the file you refer to. Can you PM me the link please?

Andi

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/03/2020 at 00:06, Dagworth said:

Thanks so much, the drawings confirmed that my calculated measurements from the BR diagrams were spot-on!

Andi

I wonder if anyone can point me to the same file. I cannot find it on the group either? Many Thanks