Model reviews and sound matters

Dougjuk

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I am a subscriber of BRM and have been along while, tend to use my iPad and enjoy all the video's and pictures that go with it.  I really enjoyed reading the review of the new Bachmann class 24 but there is very little information about the fitting of sound, just comment that a speaker is included.  It would be a nice touch if when reviewing you would mention any space left for fitting of speakers or in fact if there is a speaker and its quality.  

I fully understand that not all modellers fit sound in fact some are DC only but this is an area of modelling that could be expanded on in the magazine.

The only source of information for sound matters is on YouTube, facebook and forums, some of the providers of the information are sellers of the equipment so any review of sound products etc would be very welcome as it would be independent.

Just a thought.

regards

Doug

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Dougjuk said:

It would be a nice touch if when reviewing you would mention any space left for fitting of speakers or in fact if there is a speaker and its quality

It was a very quick turnaround from receiving  the review model to going to press. Yes, it would be great to do but I would have had to source (and pay for) a sound decoder and document the fitting process and then review the sound functionality etc to do what you would have liked to see. BUT the decoder and sounds wouldn't be part of the off the shelf product then and irrelevant to most of the buyers. Would I have to procure, fit and set up,creview and write up all the alternatives? Hopefully then it can be seen that it is not just a straightforward 'nice to read'.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

In the new 24 all you need to do is install the sound decoder of youre choice and youre ready to go

Yes in one way your right but the quality of the speaker makes a lot of difference.  I have done a video recently comparing 5 speakers in a class 25, they were all different.

Going back to the review maybe a picture of the loco with the top off and showing the speaker or space would be nice.  I have 39 sound fitted locos and have been involved in conversion of several others.  Each models has had its challenges, information beforehand could be very useful.

All I am saying is in a review it would be nice if that was actually commented on.   For example I have now found out that the inside of the new 24 is different to the last batch of 24's.  (Thats was because I saw it in another magazine that I do not subscribe too)

Accurascale have stated they are making space for an EM1 speaker and another so why can't we have the information from other makers and reviewers.

All I am saying is to consider a little more information in reviews, not necessarily buy a chip and try.

Also if you do review a sound chip fitted model what about finding out what make of chip and version, after all that makes a lot of difference to value.  When Charlie produced his 156 he quoted what the chip was and the speaker.

Only trying to be helpful not a criticism of the work you do in the magazine.

regards

Doug

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dougjuk said:

Going back to the review maybe a picture of the loco with the top off and showing the speaker or space would be nice.  I have 39 sound fitted locos and have been involved in conversion of several others.  Each models has had its challenges, information beforehand could be very useful.

I get where you're coming from.

Take the Hornby 87 as an example - hard to find room for a decoder, let alone a speaker!  Lovely loco, but a challenge to fit sound if ever there was one! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Would be interested to see that - could you let us have a link please?

More than happy to help, I would point out that the video only compares the sound. Some of the speakers would need metal work to get them in.  For instance the large double dumbo which I tend to put in the fuel tank of a 37. 

The first couple of speakers were options suggested by Richard from Road and Rails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Well now that I have got this model and equipped it with sound I thought I would pass on my review of this part.

Well this internal design is one step forward and two back.  The light sockets are great and stops any issues with the lights working or not.  However the backward step is the super large PCB which removes the chance of installing any decent size speaker.  Gone is the recessed area for a speaker as in the older Class 24 models.

The installed speaker has reasonable tone but is way too quiet and needed changing.  I managed to install a Zimo small single dumbo speaker between the light sockets with some filing.  I later also managed to add a sealed Loco small speaker at the other end to give a reasonable sound quality.

The attached photo, shows the dumbo speaker in place with the Bachmann one taken out and placed in front.  I do not have a photo of the second speaker.

tOZUumHcT2OJsfKs6L4oNQ.jpg.506b9047f1992f1ee511d5da0f0c853d.jpg

Regards

Doug

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I think Doug is making a very valid point.  It would be a great step forward if reviews could cover how easy it is to remove the body, as well as how much space (height) is present inside the model to fit a third party speaker.

Not only would this provide great information to the consumer, it might start pushing the manufacturers to think more about these two important design features.

Thanks for the informative posts Doug.  :imsohappy:

Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The provision of facilities for fitting sound, speakers, etc will be based on what was deemed desirable several years ago. This stuff has to be designed-in right from the start so, really, you'll need to look in 3/4/5 years time to find the provisions that you're asking for now. It's unlikely that reviewers will ever be able to provide comprehensive coverage of what sound might be best in a particular locomotive. Such investigations and installations take time and expense and reviewers are usually working to very tight deadlines. Also, for the purposes of review photography, the model has to be in the 'as supplied' condition, so any dismantling or fitting of 'extras' needs to wait until after photography and, indeed, may then require a second visit to the studio. By the time all this is allowed for, the review is likely to be too late to be of any interest/use to the majority of readers. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1