The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

A consequence of over population.

Too many people to have moving around, with all the problems that brings.

Best to keep them organised in fixed locations and allow them to be more productive and less wasteful of resources.

Just like battery hens.

That and the ease of being able to move around, the easier that becomes the more things organise themselves around the assumption of easy travel. That has its ups and downs of course - you lose your local services for example but you can get a bit more choice from travelling further as they centralise and you get economies of scale. Or you get rather more choice in job instead of the local pit being the only real option, but you end up with all the issues of long distant (i.e. beyond walking or cycling distance) commuting.

I always thought that “best before” was purely advisory, just to let us know that the food would at it’s best up until that point. I  believe the more information we get about our food the better, remember the horse burgers? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Reorte said:

A disturbing trend IMO, driving work into peoples' homes, thus increasing isolation and decreasing work-life separation. It's handy for emergencies and works well for some people but I'd hate for it to be the norm and believe large-scale home working will have unpleasant consequences for society.

Agree with this totally. I volunteered in the first place to get out of the house and meet some people. Am now back to reading rmweb while I wait for minder and the professionals this afternoon!

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

If you want an excuse to panic buy soap, the following has just been sent round our office:

"The following was sent out by a friend at Plymouth, who has a biological focused PhD and explains in simple terms why the Health authorities are banging on about using ordinary SOAP to reduce the risk of catching Covid-19.

image.png.a548882c8264fa4f76c9de0adb8bac66.png

So there’s lots of people from the Health Service telling everyone that washing your hands is the best way to defeat Covid-19, but lots of people (most?) seem to think that this is a bit silly. Like how can washing your hands be SO important, and how can it defeat a virus that’s causing so much havoc worldwide?? Well here’s the science bit, because I’m a nerd who likes to know “why” something happens.

The outer wall of a virus is made of lipids, they’re kind of like oils or fats, that’s a simple way of putting it. It’s called a lipid layer. Behind the lipid layer is the virus, it’s made up of proteins and RNA, which is kind of like DNA and it’s what lets the virus replicate. That’s really it, it’s that simple (unless you have a PhD and there’s a few on here with them, but this is for the rest of us who are a bit thick!). So, what about the washing of hands with soap?  Here’s the part that nobody is being told, but it’s important (it’s especially important if your a nerd. Soap is made up of loads and loads of lipids, it what makes soap feel so soft and smooth.... When you wash your hands really well you get all these lipids on your hands. So if you have Covid-19 on your hands the lipids in the virus wall start to break down, because the lipids in the virus lipid layer are soluble in the lipids in your soap on your hands.

So when you break down the lipid layer you end up destroying the proteins and the RNA. It’s kind of like years ago when your Dad used to clean a paintbrush with turpentine, it’s because the paint was soluble in turpentine.....it’s really that simple. Also, people are searching high and low for antibacterial soap....don’t bother. This is a virus, not a bacteria. Also, antibacterial soap is really just expensive soap. I’ve attached a pic of a virus, it’s a flu one but it doesn’t really matter. Break down the lipid layer with lipids in soap and you’ll kill the virus.

You’re welcome. Feel free to share."

This should be pinned at the top of the Forum. It doesn't matter where it goes on the internet. Illness or death does not choose by colour, creed or religion. Well done Alan.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Talking of which, it was sunny half an hour ago and is now belting down for the 157th consecutive day.

The bog roll hunt will have to wait. 

I know what you mean. We were woken up at 7 this morning by two very loud claps of thunder and a hail shower. 

The sun's out now though..

There seems to be a 'good news; bad news' story that goes with the excellent stuff circulated by Eastglosmog, if Wikipedia is to be believed in what it has to say about this class of viruses:

"The lipid bilayer envelope of these viruses is relatively sensitive to desiccation, heat, and detergents, therefore these viruses are easier to sterilize than non-enveloped viruses, have limited survival outside host environments, and typically must transfer directly from host to host. Enveloped viruses possess great adaptability and can change in a short time in order to evade the immune system. Enveloped viruses can cause persistent infections."

• RMweb Gold

The new manager of my local Sainsburys is over the moon about the increased sales.  She's doing nothing to stop people buying ridiculous amounts of stuff.  Never mind that it will all come to a shuddering halt once people have bought everything they need for the next 6 months.  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, thirty2a said:

My wife just got back from Tesco, said it was like Christmas! half an hour in a Que with people who have trolleys stacked  right up. shelves empty of the usual items, people have truly lost the plot.

Oh great. Our remaining bit of soap is now the size of a Murray Mint.

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, thirty2a said:

don't try to get any squeezy soap no chance..

I've got some. 50p a squirt? Or for the truly discerning customer, 'Premium' (it has  'antibacterial' on the bottle) £1.

We did our regular weekly shop yesterday evening at Tesco, Jack Oldings corner, Hatfield. Nothing out of the ordinary going on, and I believe Hertfordshire is currently the leading county for detected Covid-19 infections. Yay, we're in the lead...

There isn't a big enough 'winky' to attach, so you'll just have to imagine it.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The clue is the largest Roman number you can see in the word:

panic buying = anything in excess of 100,

pandemic buying = anything in excess of 1001.

'Pandemic' gives you 1099.

As a Tsundoku master, I have been panic buying books all my life.  Self isolation would give me a chance to read some, if it wasn't for all the jobs around the house that I ought to do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I see no evidence that the people panic buying in case of quarantine etc. are thinking of their pets; there's plenty of pet food on the shelves.  I'd better stock up on IAMS Senior Cat in case there's a run on it. Two trolleys should see us through.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I see no evidence that the people panic buying in case of quarantine etc. are thinking of their pets; there's plenty of pet food on the shelves.  I'd better stock up on IAMS Senior Cat in case there's a run on it. Two trolleys should see us through.

We've made sure we've got a good few weeks worth of cat food for our two.

I don't get the current obsession with anti-bacterial soaps and cleansers. The clue's in the name...

• Like 1

I think we are now going into a period where people will need to have enough food in to cover 7 days self isolation. Thankfully we have a daughter and 2 grown up grand daughters where between us we can look after each other shopping wise by leaving food at the front doors. 

My sister who lives too far away for me to help other than in emergencies relies on online food shopping, she now is having to book slots a week in advance. this group may have the biggest problems, thankfully she has some very good friends close who can help if needed

I foolishly went shopping in Swindon. The person in front of me in the queue was "challenged" by appearing to be wider in circumference than she was tall.

Some of the things I could see on the huge pile on the checkout feed belt:

• 3 x 12-pack lager
  • Loads of frozen and dried food
  • Loads of 2 litre fizzy soft drinks
  • Loads of multi-pack crisps
  • Several loaves of sliced white bread
  • Several packs of baked beans

etc

Stockpiling? No, this is normal life for some Swindonian folk on pay day...

• Like 4