The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Our little village shops are doing rather better at keeping the shelves stocked than the supermarket.

Downside is that the nearest shop is Lithuanian (or Polish or something) and 70% of the goods are labelled in languages that I don't do. And there is a limit to how much sausage and pickled cabbage that I want to eat, even in an emergency.

Think of it as a voyage of adventure and discovery...

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

Went down to the harbour today for some fresh fish. They had plenty to choose from . Got what i wanted then i gutted them and put them in the freezer. Next trip down to the local farm shop to get some fresh  meat .

Edited by crompton 33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Yes, you're quite right. But! As I type this, I can get fresh milk every day!

In fact, with thanks to your reply, you've just decided my tea for tonight, which will be cornflakes with full-cream milk. Nice one!

If you have a decent fridge milk lasts for ages, I once bought a pint of semi skinned milk very cheaply one night as the use buy was that day, I finished it off 3 days later and no signs of it going off. Might say more about the temperature of my fridge than anything else. Stores keep milk at its optimum temperature, how it keeps is usually down to the customer

Cravendale last longer as it goes through a process removing bacteria, also I have been told is the best type to freeze taste wise

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, geoffers said:

Amusing story passed by the checkout lady at our local Morrisons eartier today - woman brought back a pile of loo rolls and demanded a refund. Why?  apparently she had no more room to store them at home:o

Id ask her to stock it where the sun doesn't shine.... 

And no, not under the stairs.....

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Potatoes? Go to a genuine farm shop,  the one we use is a farm,  the spuds are their own,  i bought 25kg for £6 today.  They are good for almost any other veg too... 

• RMweb Gold

Went in Aldi earlier and while I was there picked up a 16 toilet roll pack (there were quite a few available) we don't need it yet but I am worried that when we do i won't be able to find any so the panic buyers have panicked me into becoming a panic buyer! (I did leave loads on the shelf though honest)!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Went in Aldi earlier and while I was there picked up a 16 toilet roll pack (there were quite a few available) we don't need it yet but I am worried that when we do i won't be able to find any so the panic buyers have panicked me into becoming a panic buyer! (I did leave loads on the shelf though honest)!

Don't panic Captain Mainwaring! Don't panic!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Reorte said:

I'm now slightly sceptical of the claims of shelves empty of essentials, having just got back from Tescos. Sure, there seemed to be no sign of beans or toilet roll (connection there?), quite a bit of the meat aisle was empty (should go a bit further to the local butcher anyway), but there were egg custards.

Supply meeting demand is still patchy.  

Waitrose was out of pre-packed fresh meat - entirely.  Many fresh vegetables were also unavailable but there were plenty of potatoes, carrots and pre-packed semi-prepped veg.  No shortage at all in the chilled "convenience food" section meaning it was also possible to buy ready-mashed potato, diced pumpkin, spinach mornay and other delights.  No sliced bread at all but any amount of the better stuff.  Bakery, butchery, fresh fish and sushi counters all open and well-stocked.  When I first visited the tinned goods aisle it was empty but within a minute or two it was being replenished at a rate of knots.  Longlife milk and non-dairy alternatives, toilet rolls and medications were again out of stock having been present a few days ago - and no doubt will be again before long.  

No limits were being imposed on any item.  There clearly is supply in the chain but the sudden change to the buying habits of some people is causing localised shortages.  

Meanwhile back home the corner shop filled a few gaps with flour and almond milk, plus dry pasta and rice.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Potatoes? Go to a genuine farm shop,  the one we use is a farm,  the spuds are their own,  i bought 25kg for £6 today.  They are good for almost any other veg too... 

Where possible.  There aren't too many in and around our major cities.  But otherwise I agree and have used them when we lived in a farming area.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Supply meeting demand is still patchy.  

Waitrose was out of pre-packed fresh meat - entirely.  Many fresh vegetables were also unavailable but there were plenty of potatoes, carrots and pre-packed semi-prepped veg.  No shortage at all in the chilled "convenience food" section meaning it was also possible to buy ready-mashed potato, diced pumpkin, spinach mornay and other delights.  No sliced bread at all but any amount of the better stuff.  Bakery, butchery, fresh fish and sushi counters all open and well-stocked.  When I first visited the tinned goods aisle it was empty but within a minute or two it was being replenished at a rate of knots.  Longlife milk and non-dairy alternatives, toilet rolls and medications were again out of stock having been present a few days ago - and no doubt will be again before long.  

No limits were being imposed on any item.  There clearly is supply in the chain but the sudden change to the buying habits of some people is causing localised shortages.  

Meanwhile back home the corner shop filled a few gaps with flour and almond milk, plus dry pasta and rice.  

zippy.jpg

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, TheQ said:

A chippy in Tonbridge had large bags of potatoes for sale, I guess he decided that he wasn't going to use them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Markwj said:

You can always scale things down a bit if necessary:

rizla.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Yes, you're quite right. But! As I type this, I can get fresh milk every day!

In fact, with thanks to your reply, you've just decided my tea for tonight, which will be cornflakes with full-cream milk. Nice one!

Same here (well, Mon,Weds,Fri). Get up, go downstairs, open front door, thank you Sam! Very glad I gave our local milkie my custom last year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, geoffers said:

Amusing story passed by the checkout lady at our local Morrisons eartier today - woman brought back a pile of loo rolls and demanded a refund. Why?  apparently she had no more room to store them at home:o

Hmmm, I would have told her where to store them! :o

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I panic bought a case of 50 tins of laverbread, ordered on Saturday and arrived yesterday. I say panic bought but I regularly buy a case of 50 tins so.... works out a lot cheaper than buying individual tins, particularly as I live in East Anglia and it isn't commonly stocked around here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I received the following  e-mail from Tesco's earlier today , whether this is just my local store or national

I don't know for certain but action is being taken to try and keep thing available .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is fair to say that we find ourselves in uncharted waters. COVID-19 is bringing a change to the UK and it’s clear that lots of things are going to have to shift around in order to help us cope.

At Tesco, we have been doing everything we can to keep business as usual, but we now have to accept it is not business as usual. In the last two weeks, we have seen significant and prolonged increases in demand across all of our stores and this is leading to shortages in some products for some customers.

Reacting to the latest government announcements, we have to plan on this situation being the new normal and we will do all that we can to make the food you want available, but we need your help.

In order to protect the core shopping essentials, we are going to implement some changes in our stores. The changes are designed to simplify what we do so that we can provide more of what people need in a clean and safe environment. We ask for your understanding and your support.

>From Thursday 19 March we will start to implement the following changes:

To ensure more people have access to everyday essentials, we are introducing a storewide restriction of only 3 items per customer on every product line, and removing multi-buy promotions.

In order to allow Tesco colleagues to focus on stocking shelves, helping to provide the essential groceries you are looking for and to avoid waste, we will close all meat, fish, deli counters and salad bars.

To be able to ensure our stores are clean, that we can replenish stock, and allow our colleagues to rest, we will change our trading hours with all stores closing at 10pm.

To ensure we are doing everything possible to reduce the risk of infection for both our customers and colleagues, we will be introducing some distancing measures at the checkout and, to make it swifter, invite customers who can, to pay by card.

To help free up slots for the more vulnerable, such as our elderly customers and those who are self-isolating, we are encouraging customers who shop online or choose Click+Collect for their grocery home shopping, to prioritise shopping in-store where possible.

To ensure our more vulnerable and elderly customers can shop in-store, we will prioritise one hour every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning between 9-10am (except in our Express stores) and ask that you respect this.

Tesco store colleagues can't work from home and a good number of them will need to respond to personal or family challenges connected with dealing with COVID-19. So we would please ask that you understand the challenging environment in which we are all working. If you do go in-store and want to say thank you, then I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

So, if you could help us by limiting demand of essential items and allowing us to focus on the core needs of our customers – we are confident that we can continue to feed the nation. We are delivering food daily to our stores, but this is a very challenging time and we will only get through this if we work together.

Thank you for your support.

Dave Lewis

Tesco CEO

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1