The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, bourneagain said:

What isn`t helping with the panic buying and stock piling situation, is the fact that during every government broadcast for the last couple of weeks and even in yesterdays broadcast, the time of 12 weeks has been mentioned for periods of isolation. No doubt it will be mentioned again today. But I would like to know just when this 12 week isolation period will officially start from, so an end date can be realised.

I think it was just an estimation of what will be required from the time it was first said. Diseases don't follow schedules!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mark Dickerson said:

Future versions might be nastier to younger people, though.

Possibly but unlikely. Diseases tend to mutate to be less of a threat - after all if it evolved to be totally harmless it would spread really easily and never get checked. That doesn't rule out a short-lived variant (otherwise we'd never have got this version!) that is more dangerous to younger people, but the bigger the risk it becomes the shorter it survives.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Dickerson said:

Future versions might be nastier to younger people, though.

Future versions of what though?, virus's or older generations.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Is their any reason to stop drive throughs?

Errrr ...  a consequent reduction in the amount of drive-through eatery containers chucked out of car windows?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Possibly but unlikely. Diseases tend to mutate to be less of a threat - after all if it evolved to be totally harmless it would spread really easily and never get checked. That doesn't rule out a short-lived variant (otherwise we'd never have got this version!) that is more dangerous to younger people, but the bigger the risk it becomes the shorter it survives.

Covid 19 is the second major iteration of SARS (It has been designated SARS - COV - 2)

Statistics seem to show that SARS (1) was more deadly but less contagious.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Mark Saunders said:

Snob value, some people would not be seen dead in Aldi!

Not ours, Aldi is now quite the place, I see my GPs in there and most of my neighbour's shop there.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Panic buying of McDonalds in Ireland now!  Desperate or what?

18:22

Gardaí have asked management at a McDonalds restaurant in Maynooth to close its doors due to long traffic queue outside.

Traffic has been building outside this restaurant ahead of McDonalds' nationwide closure.

There are similar scenes at other McDonalds restaurants throughout the country.

Gardai have asked staff at McDonalds in Maynooth to close as traffic queues into the restaurant were causing disruption. All McDonalds restaurants to close from 7pm #COVIDー19 pic.twitter.com/MHF4JEhqc5

— Fran McNulty (@franmcnulty) March 23, 2020

*Source RTE News

Edited by irishmail
to give source of information
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, irishmail said:

Panic buying of McDonalds in Ireland now!  Desperate or what?

18:22

Gardaí have asked management at a McDonalds restaurant in Maynooth to close its doors due to long traffic queue outside.

Traffic has been building outside this restaurant ahead of McDonalds' nationwide closure.

There are similar scenes at other McDonalds restaurants throughout the country.

Gardai have asked staff at McDonalds in Maynooth to close as traffic queues into the restaurant were causing disruption. All McDonalds restaurants to close from 7pm #COVIDー19 pic.twitter.com/MHF4JEhqc5

— Fran McNulty (@franmcnulty) March 23, 2020

*Source RTE News

The problem is the restaurants are closed but the drive-thru’s are open.

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I was astounded yesterday, whilst in the local greengrocers, to be asked by a lady of mature years "How long do carrots keep"?

Now I am 70+, and she wasn't far behind me in age; how had she managed all those years without having had to purchase and store 'real' carrots?

John Isherwood.

Probably quite simply because she'd always bought them for immediate use and never needed to know how long they'd last. I buy fresh carrots quite often but I couldn't tell you  how long they keep because I've always just bought what I needed right now. They always get used fairly quickly like all the fresh veg that I buy. The clue is in the word fresh.

In normal times the only people who'd really need to know their full shelf life would have been those who grew their own or those in remote areas likely to get cut off.  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Not ours, Aldi is now quite the place, I see my GPs in there and most of my neighbour's shop there.

Its a noted trend that the value of cars seen in an Aldi carpark is on the high side nowadays.

(and I don't mean abandoned, burnt-out wrecks!)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

went to Salisbury's tonight got everything we need except pasta eggs and tinned tomatoes 

John  

Edited by jbqfc
my hopeless bad spelling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

Does it make allowance for bidets?

No, nor for gender. Women tend to use loo roll every time they sit on the loo, as do men. But men stand for most visits. 

I currently have 84 days supply, it tells me. Plenty, really. But I last bought loo rolls when Sherry was here - and she left on Feb 9th!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jbqfc said:

went to Salisbury's tonight got everything we need except pasta eggs and tin tomatoes 

John  

Tin tomatos - a bit hard to chew! I'd prefer them tinned!

• Funny 2

51 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Probably quite simply because she'd always bought them for immediate use and never needed to know how long they'd last. I buy fresh carrots quite often but I couldn't tell you  how long they keep because I've always just bought what I needed right now. They always get used fairly quickly like all the fresh veg that I buy. The clue is in the word fresh.

In normal times the only people who'd really need to know their full shelf life would have been those who grew their own or those in remote areas likely to get cut off.  

You don't even need to cook 'em. One of life's simple pleasures is gnawing your way through a fresh, juicy carrot ...

Ditto a stick of celery

Edited by LNER4479
  • Agree 4