The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

no eggs for 3 weeks (eggs and chickens have both disappeared from Surrey)

So in three weeks time you'll be able to answer the oldest question in the book...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, teaky said:

Do you think you need to stock up on toilet roll, just in case?

No problem, there has not been a run on cat litter and pet supplies are still considered essential (I think the government would get lynched if they said otherwise)!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

Must be urbanised foxes, ours dine on the local wildlife

I’ll trade your foxes for mine....

our local wildlife is kids coming out school.. they need eating.

Your foxes aren’t vegetarian I hope.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

So in three weeks time you'll be able to answer the oldest question in the book...

I was expecting something about a chicken, eggs or a fox crossing the road

on the subject of milk bottles, this reminded me of these cocktail party conversation openers... anyone remember these milk bottles...

9CAA9827-337F-4E55-ADED-22035977C2C0.jpeg.9ef6c83fc49398f1835e5e94bc91a822.jpeg

These are actually colonial hangovers.... i actually brought these back from Hong Kong when I was living out there.
But they are the same old British school milk bottle sized.. 220ml bottles.

perfect for a blended Blueberry, Strawberry, Yoghurt & Milk smoothie today...

6C274578-AB77-40D4-9735-DA0F0F37F2A9.jpeg.eeb299869dd9f00ca1404f782cbfffdd.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

You were not meant to eat the carton!

Our school milk always came in 1/3 pint bottles. I was not that bothered either way about it. A revelation then to go on holiday to Germany (1964) and find that it was normal there to drink a 500ml glass of the stuff and really enjoy it. The knack, as you say, is to drink it at the right temperature.

There was supposed to be straws, but they never had any so we had to drink straight out of the carton.

I've a feeling the vomit taste was the glue....

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Your foxes aren’t vegetarian I hope.

Unless wood pigeons count as vegetables:)

The Sparrowhawk also seems to like pigeon.

I either find a pile of feathers, neatly plucked from the carcass (sparrowhawk) or a badly mangled part eaten corpse (fox I assume).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

There was supposed to be straws, but they never had any so we had to drink straight out of the carton.

I've a feeling the vomit taste was the glue....

I have very vague, slight memories of school milk, so vague it might've just been there for my first year at infant school. What little I remember isn't particularly positive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Local Spar is now only letting 5 punters in at a time.....all well and good.....

Except

the local post office is at the back of the shop, and that always seems to have a que of about five all by itself - and some of them can take quite a while at the counter......

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Tesco this morning was interesting - wrinklies being limited to one person ...

That could be read in a very worrying way!

Edited by pH
  • Funny 1

Update from the DIY store.

People are still coming to the store completely oblivious to the situation, thinking that we are open to purchase items.

The new click and collect system is working, although due to the demand on the system it's now being advertised as next day.

Screens have been installed on half of the tills for when we reopen the store to customers. Those that don't have screens will be out of use.

Next week we find out who has and hasn't been furloughed for a minimum of three weeks.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

News from the Home Front.  Marks & Spencer (a food-only branch) at Clapham Junction - within the station but outside the barrier line so open to all - closes today.  They have lost 95% of their trade with the railway now carrying around 7% of its normal traffic.  Chilled food was offered half price and flowers, of which there were many bunches and some in pots, given away free.  Long shelf-life goods will remain until they re-open or be redistributed.  

So no evidence of the sales rush just announced today which showed High Street supermarkets posted a whopping 20% increase in business during the past four week period.  

On the other hand there were queues at Sainsburys and LIDL just outside both of which are now operating a one-out-one-in system but with fully stocked shelves.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Informative/Useful 1

Looks like the situation might be easing at Tesco online too.  We've just been favoured with the delivery I booked back in the days when you could actually get a slot (i.e. nearly a fortnight ago), and to my complete amazement and delight, one substitute and one OOS-no-subs-allowed out of a total of 71 items!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Local Spar is now only letting 5 punters in at a time.....all well and good.....

Except

the local post office is at the back of the shop, and that always seems to have a que of about five all by itself - and some of them can take quite a while at the counter......

Noticed that too, as the only panic buying that I know of is online via Ebay where a lot of my items are selling quickly.

I use the labels off the t'internet, so to quicken the transaction!

And why is it that the person in front of you seems to do their MONTHLY shop????

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, spikey said:

Looks like the situation might be easing at Tesco online too.  We've just been favoured with the delivery I booked back in the days when you could actually get a slot (i.e. nearly a fortnight ago), and to my complete amazement and delight, one substitute and one OOS-no-subs-allowed out of a total of 71 items!

Brilliant that is good news.  So....... what ARE you going to do with 69 packs of toilet roll ?!!   :jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, BMS said:

Local Aldi is allowing 60 total at a time total then 1 out 1 in. West Kirby, Wirral

I don't like the updated layout at West Kirby (ok, I know its been like that for ages!) but I still can't navigate it automatically!  I prefer to go to Heswall instead.  Or up to Prenton if i want things from Sainsburys or Home Bargain!

Given that, on Friday when I last went shopping, Heswall were doing 60 in/1 in 1 out and the queue stretched along the long side of the building and along the back wall.  They didn't have a couple of things I wanted so I went into WK on the way back. No queueing at all.

Don't tell me that the police have a roadblock at Thurstaston and are turning shoppers back to WK.....  :jester:

35 minutes ago, spikey said:

Pretty much the same here.

Though I noticed they have managed to find a few plastic bags all of a sudden now it suits them.