The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

DIY store update.

Today I was told that the store is reopening on Wednesday. So I had to pick some of the last of the click & collect orders from Saturday. Once the last click & collect orders were picked, we started to making the store look like a store again.

Click & collect orders have been turned off for the store. In addition the following won't be available when the store reopens:

• Carpet cleaning machine hire.
  • Key cutting.
  • Paint mixing.
  • Showrooms design services.
  • Timber cutting.

I should find out more tomorrow.

• Informative/Useful 3

US May contracts for 'light crude' at negative $36.11 per barrel as of 12.15 pm Eastern Time today!!!

Edited by pH
  • Informative/Useful 2

Just now, APOLLO said:

So I can fill up my car and the cashier will give me £30 in cash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

Could there be a better or more graphic illustration of the disconnect between world markets and consumer prices ?

The price of oil goes up - and the price of everything goes up; the price of oil goes down - and the price of everything still goes up !

Such is life - and we wonder where the super-yacht owners get their money .

At least they can't buy immunity to COVID-19 ; YET !

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

the price of oil goes down - and the price of everything still goes up !

Not quite - heating oil today is down to about 24p/litre, that's about half-price!  If you have oil heating, fill up now!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Platform 1 said:

Not quite - heating oil today is down to about 24p/litre, that's about half-price!  If you have oil heating, fill up now!

I saw something of the sort predicted in an industry discussion group, about a week ago. Broadly speaking, there is about 6 weeks’ supply in the system at any given time. The substantial reduction in Road traffic is reducing petrol and diesel demand, and the power stations are gas fired, which is a different section of the infrastructure, as is domestic gas - and the changing season results in reduced heating demand. The challenge now is to stabilise around a spring/summer delivery pattern.

9 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

DIY store update.

Today I was told that the store is reopening on Wednesday. So I had to pick some of the last of the click & collect orders from Saturday. Once the last click & collect orders were picked, we started to making the store look like a store again.

Click & collect orders have been turned off for the store. In addition the following won't be available when the store reopens:

• Carpet cleaning machine hire.
  • Key cutting.
  • Paint mixing.
  • Showrooms design services.
  • Timber cutting.

I should find out more tomorrow.

I’m not much surprised, I should think their sales have fallen off a cliff as homeowners simply postpone expenditure. I’ve picked up a couple of small orders but because I can’t get any given thing either quickly or reliably, with any useful predicted availability, I’ve just deferred all plans indefinitely. 

I went to Halfords click and collect on Sunday and I’m not doing THAT again if I can help it. 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Platform 1 said:

We use heating  Lpg whose price is related to oil,  there is notable silence from our supplier on price. 

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

We use heating  Lpg whose price is related to oil,  there is notable silence from our supplier on price. 

We had a new Morrisons open about 2-1/2 years ago, about 12-15 miles away. Great, they sell lpg - and I'm frequently that way so it is now my 1st choice for filling up the car. (I can only fill up within the same sort of radius from home in most directions anyway). When they opened, lpg was 55.9p/litre - a good price at the time - the next garage (Shell) a couple of miles further was 69p (- ish) if I remember correctly.

In the time the Morrisons has been open, the petrol/diesel prices have frequently fluctuated, as expected. But the lpg still remains at 55.9p.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Hobby said:

Ditto! Though it doesn't give me Excema, I already have it, it just makes it far worse!

:offtopic: Doesn't give me eczema but makes me itch like hell......so does shower gel but not soap or shampoo.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Lantavian said:

...as speculators are hiring supertankers not to transport oil, but to store it. 

I'm not surprised - according to Wikipedia, an average VLCC will hold about 2 million barrels of crude. So fill it at current prices (-$30/barrel), sell when they go back up to, say +$30/barrel, you're going to make $120,000,000. No idea how much it costs to hire a supertanker for a year, but I bet it's a lot less than that!

14 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

:offtopic: Doesn't give me eczema but makes me itch like hell......so does shower gel but not soap or shampoo.

Then there's all the household cleaning products... No wonder there's an "increase" in cases of asthma and excema!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hobby said:

Then there's all the household cleaning products... No wonder there's an "increase" in cases of asthma and excema!

I let the other half use those, I just use the domestic DIY and gardening products that are banned for commercial use under safety legislation...........:wacko:

33 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

You said that petrol prices were going up, even though crude was falling in price.

But petrol prices have fallen.

Indeed I did - but the essence of my frustration is encapsulated in your own response - "And retailers will try to keep the price to consumers as high as possible to maximise profits".

Whenever the price of oil goes up, there is little or no lag before pump prices follow. Oil was yesterday at a negative price, but I know that I will not see a proportionate decrease in the pump price.

I know all about the low proportion of the pump price being attributable to the price of oil, but the instinct at all levels of oil refining and retail to "keep the price to consumers as high as possible to maximise profits" is, and always has been, evident in what we actually pay.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

57 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

I let the other half use those, I just use the domestic DIY and gardening products that are banned for commercial use under safety legislation...........:wacko:

I ban the more "smelly" ones as they cause havoc with my asthma. I wish we could get back to simpler times when everything didn't have to smell "fresh", which usually means the the product disguises one smell with another! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

I'm not surprised - according to Wikipedia, an average VLCC will hold about 2 million barrels of crude. So fill it at current prices (-$30/barrel), sell when they go back up to, say +$30/barrel, you're going to make $120,000,000. No idea how much it costs to hire a supertanker for a year, but I bet it's a lot less than that!

An awful long time ago we were at our friend place for a Saturday night dinner party, but the husband was always on his phone, a standing joke even back then....he was a trader, in fuel oils.......this time he was away a bit longer than usual and when he came back he had a huge smile on his face......apparently he had a tanker on its way from South America to UK.......the phone call was to tell him the conflict in the middle east had escalated into a full scale “war” and oil prices had shot up......his tanker full of oil was now worth a helluva lot more than when it left Venezuela.....he got his good champers out that night :lol:

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Lantavian said:

Indeed. You should always price to maximise profit.

Sometimes that means a low price. 

One type of oil in the United States was at a negative price. And it didn't last long.

And of course you won't see a proportionate decrease in the pump price because of all the reasons I explained above: the pound is weak, it takes time for oil to be refined, the negative price was for oil that won't be delivered until next month, and even if the petrol company decided to charge nothing for petrol to the petrol station, you'd still have to pay tax so the petrol won't be free for you.

Clearly I am not going to make any progress with such a vehement defender of the 'profit is all' system of world trade.

Sooner rather than later, the reality of the limitations of the planet on which we live will dictate that a system which relies on relentless growth and the pursuit of personal wealth is no longer viable or sustainable.

I doubt that I will see the day, but I anticipate major global upheaval before the harsh reality of the vulnerability of h0m0 sapiens has widespread acceptance.

It is very interesting to see how precarious is our whole way of life, when a microscopic virus can totally disrupt the whole world trade system. If it achieves nothing else, I would hope that COVID-19 can sufficiently shake the complacency of the great and good, to achieve a reassessment of how the world's resources are exploited.

I'm not holding my breath, though!

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Clearly I am not going to make any progress with such a vehement defender of the 'profit is all' system of world trade.

Sooner rather than later, the reality of the limitations of the planet on which we live will dictate that a system which relies on relentless growth and the pursuit of personal wealth is no longer viable or sustainable.

I doubt that I will see the day, but I anticipate major global upheaval before the harsh reality of the vulnerability of sapiens has widespread acceptance.

It is very interesting to see how precarious is our whole way of life, when a microscopic virus can totally disrupt the whole world trade system. If it achieves nothing else, I would hope that COVID-19 can sufficiently shake the complacency of the great and good, to achieve a reassessment of how the world's resources are exploited.

I'm not holding my breath, though!

John Isherwood.

Or a reasonably sized asteroid.

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Lantavian said:

The AA says petrol prices in the UK did fall in February and March.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-costs/fuel-prices

I don't know where the AA get the prices from but my experience is completely different

They quote NI in March as having the lowest price at 120.5p/Litre

On 20th March I bought unleaded petrol in Birmingham at 109.7p/litre (most of the petrol stations in the area were not too far removed from that). Even at the beginning of March it was lower than 120.5p/Litre

On 25th March the same garage were charging 99.7p/litre, it was reported in the news as the lowest price in the UK.

Edited by melmerby