The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium

And yesterday morning the day after we got the priority ASDA shopping slots finally, we found on our drive a box of food....”essential supplies” apparently because we couldn’t get it to shop and they (Gov) send the box while shopping slots are arranged.

Bit shocked really as we don’t NEED an emergency food box we have enough of bits to see  us through until we get something from ASDA in a week or so time......so.......quick phone call and the local food bank collected a nice big box of Government sponsored food for people who really need it, thank you Boris ;)

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

My little ones learning the piano too, plenty of spare time she has.

Shes learned riding a bike this week...ive lost a kg helping/chasing her.

Ours learned when little, our daughter learnt to read music properly and play nicely, our younger Son learnt to play but couldn’t read music (dyslexic we later found out) but he could just hear a tune once and play it almost perfectly first time......it really annoyed his big sister who although could read music had to practice to play a piece, nowadays they never touch a piano.......that was worth the lessons then :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Your making assumptions there..

how do you know the bike isnt on the piano, playing keys with the pedals..

;-)

Doesn’t that make it an Organ? :D

• Funny 1

41 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

.......quick phone call and the local food bank collected a nice big box of Government sponsored food for people who really need it, thank you Boris ;)

Exactly what we've been doing for the last month - perhaps the government should make this a permanent arrangement and make the deliveries directly to the food banks.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Exactly what we've been doing for the last month - perhaps the government should make this a permanent arrangement and make the deliveries directly to the food banks.

John Isherwood.

Yes, we played with the idea of keeping them going and sending it each week to the food bank but succumbed to stupid honesty! ;)

• RMweb Premium

Our food shopping normalised remarkably quickly after the initial panic empty shelves madness which didn't last very long here. Despite all the criticism the supermarkets and their supply chains reacted very quickly and got on top of things very effectively and quickly. I think supermarkets and their suppliers have done an excellent job. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes, we played with the idea of keeping them going and sending it each week to the food bank but succumbed to stupid honesty! ;)

Our view is that we didn't ask for the provisions box - indeed, we indicated on the government priority form that we were able to source provisions ourselves; it was a great surprise to receive the first one. When the boxes started to arrive each Thursday we initially used most items, but felt rather guilty.

So, since the financially worst affected by the lock-down are those on minimal income, we felt that redirecting the government's provision from those who don't really need it to those that definitely do need it is completely morally justified.

John Isherwood.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Where can I buy a Union Flag in the next ten minutes?

Amazon.co.uk..in less than 1 click..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Britain-Flag-5ft-3ft/dp/B005MOF26Q/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=British+flag&qid=1588942732&sr=8-5

(you didnt say anything about delivery, but if they use Hermes, theres a good chance they will deliver it to your roof too).

:biggrin_mini:

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Amazon.co.uk..in less than 1 click..

It was a poorly phrased question that got me that answer. That's what a panic buyer asks for...

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

...you didn't say anything about delivery...

...that being the crucial aspect, wanting it actually on display now three hours ago.

I am going to see how the domestic authority feels about a tabernacle, 30 ft flag pole and the flags, so next time there shall be no panic: fully prepared.

20 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I am going to see how the domestic authority feels about a tabernacle ...

Won't that depend on how Jewish she is ... ?

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Frozen green vegetables in short supply, this week. 

I would agree looking in the disaster areas of the big four (or make that three as I have no big Tesco nearby) but no problem evident in Aldi. Locally Sainsburys in particular seem to have a complete inability to maintain stocks although it has to be said that was normal at the best of times where in particular chilled fish and meat  where pot luck whether they actually had in stock what you wanted,

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just booked in the Asda order for next week's recurring slot.

Of 88 items ordered, after OOS items were removed there were just 59 left.

Those removed included Semi Skimmed milk, Frozen Broad beans, Canned Soup and Oranges, haven't had a problem with any of those before.

They really need to get a grip as the supply situation does not seem to have improved much in the last 6 weeks (apart from bog roll!)

• RMweb Premium
On 07/05/2020 at 17:49, Joseph_Pestell said:

Lockdown could continue for six years and I would still not be a competent pianist.

On 07/05/2020 at 18:58, Enterprisingwestern said:

Likewise for me and railway modelling!

Mike.

He said pianist Mike, pianist.....................

:jester:

On 08/05/2020 at 09:05, boxbrownie said:

And yesterday morning the day after we got the priority ASDA shopping slots finally, we found on our drive a box of food....”essential supplies” apparently because we couldn’t get it to shop and they (Gov) send the box while shopping slots are arranged.

Bit shocked really as we don’t NEED an emergency food box we have enough of bits to see  us through until we get something from ASDA in a week or so time......so.......quick phone call and the local food bank collected a nice big box of Government sponsored food for people who really need it, thank you Boris ;)

hi boxbrownie, at last you have yyour slot? do tell how you managed it in the end as i.ve been following your plight for weeks. Oh, BTW,I also was gieven the chance to receive emergency boxes over a phone call from the guv but declined the offer since I had the delivery slot.

I do wonder how much vanishes during the first hour of limited access. Nipped to Waitrose yesterday  for a free newspaper subject to spending at least a further £8 and the flour section was pretty empty an hour after opening - heard one customer claiming he was buying for four people (maybe true, maybe not). All I wanted was some Cornflour so afterwards went to Lidl where there were stacks (and obviously cheaper). Have got into the habit of buying Oranges from Waitrose despite their cost as they always seem to have them and sell them in bags of 7 so nicely lasting a week until the next visit and meaning no mid week searches necessary for more,

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, midlands said:

hi boxbrownie, at last you have yyour slot? do tell how you managed it in the end as i.ve been following your plight for weeks. Oh, BTW,I also was gieven the chance to receive emergency boxes over a phone call from the guv but declined the offer since I had the delivery slot.

Not completely sure TBH, I have filled in the relevant online GOV form weeks ago, both our Doctor and the Hospital Consultants sent us a letter saying “stay isolated for blah blah months etc”, I did send a communication to Waitrose through their enquires telling them the facts and asking if there was an official address/place to contact regarding not getting priority/help and two days later we had a letter from ASDA......so I couldn’t tell you how we did it in the end.

I am not holding my breath though as we have a slot but not until the 20th May.......Anything could happen before then eh?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

I do wonder how much vanishes during the first hour of limited access. Nipped to Waitrose yesterday  for a free newspaper subject to spending at least a further £8 and the flour section was pretty empty an hour after opening - heard one customer claiming he was buying for four people (maybe true, maybe not). All I wanted was some Cornflour so afterwards went to Lidl where there were stacks (and obviously cheaper). Have got into the habit of buying Oranges from Waitrose despite their cost as they always seem to have them and sell them in bags of 7 so nicely lasting a week until the next visit and meaning no mid week searches necessary for more,

Are you 100% sure that shelves are only restocked overnight?

In Australia, the supermarkets can get delivery trucks at anytime during a 24 hour period - in fact some supermarkets have had restrictions on hours that trucks can access the loading docks lifted, temporarily.

That means that certain shelves might be empty first thing, but restocked later in the day. 

It seems like poor planning, if only those that can get there first thing, are going to fulfill their requirements. Not only that, but what do the trucks do for the rest of the day?

18 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Are you 100% sure that shelves are only restocked overnight?

In Australia, the supermarkets can get delivery trucks at anytime during a 24 hour period - in fact some supermarkets have had restrictions on hours that trucks can access the loading docks lifted, temporarily.

That means that certain shelves might be empty first thing, but restocked later in the day. 

It seems like poor planning, if only those that can get there first thing, are going to fulfill their requirements. Not only that, but what do the trucks do for the rest of the day?

Certainly our local Co-op seems to restock at no particular time.. I would imagine that since they are undoubtedly running on significantly reduced availability, it’s a case of “send anything, we’ll find space and it won’t last long” 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Certainly our local Co-op seems to restock at no particular time.. I would imagine that since they are undoubtedly running on significantly reduced availability, it’s a case of “send anything, we’ll find space and it won’t last long” 

I have noticed that generally speaking, the vast majority of supermarkets in Australia, now have stuff on most shelves. It might not be the full range of brands/varieties, but almost all general categories have some stock.

• RMweb Premium

Ocado seem as good as their word.  Not only having the ordered items in stock but now allowing an order a week up from one every two weeks.  I haven't checked for limits but seldom require more than two of anything.  We received all three almond milks on yesterday's delivery however.  The lead-time for next available delivery slot has also reduced significantly from around 15 - 18 days to 5- 6 days.  

I haven't revisited Waitrose since the last experience which was far from satisfactory outside (pushing, arguing) and with no attempt at distancing inside.  Quite how one distances or creates a one-way pattern when the aisles are not 2m wide and the footprint of the store is an odd five-sided shape seems to have defied management and certainly I can't see how it could have been sensibly done.  

The only required items I can't get right now are fine brass rod and garden fertiliser.  Neither are for personal consumption (!!) but at least one may become available by mid-week.