The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

As for old stock in the back of the pantry, that's a self inflicted problem. Always use up the oldest stuff first, or toss it!

I bet the old rice and pasta was just fine.....

• Agree 1

I wonder if it could be considered panic buying if something is a good deal and you want to stock up?

For example, Fairy Platinum Plus dishwasher tablets were a fairly good price for a 100 pack, so I bought two (they've now gone up by £5 a pack).

After Asda had put their dishwasher cleaner up to £1.90 (it was £1.60), I found some of the Finish version for £2 a bottle if bought as an 8-pack. So I bought two, meaning I have 16 months worth of cleaner.

Done it with fabric conditioner too. Was half price so bought 4 bottles - enough to last 200 washes. But then with a baby in the house, we wash a lot more these days.

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, polybear said:

I bet the old rice and pasta was just fine.....

The rice was indeed still perfect.

The rice was those Italian vacuum packed 1kg "bricks", (Arborio & Carnaroli). The vacuum was still perfect, if the packs had been floppy I might have binned it

One was 10 years out of date and the other was undated but purchased in Italy, in the 1990s!

Both made excellent risottos.

The pasta wasn't anywhere near as old and was OK as an emergency until some new could be procured. It was not as good as when newly purchased.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I wonder if it could be considered panic buying if something is a good deal and you want to stock up?

For example, Fairy Platinum Plus dishwasher tablets were a fairly good price for a 100 pack, so I bought two (they've now gone up by £5 a pack).

After Asda had put their dishwasher cleaner up to £1.90 (it was £1.60), I found some of the Finish version for £2 a bottle if bought as an 8-pack. So I bought two, meaning I have 16 months worth of cleaner.

Done it with fabric conditioner too. Was half price so bought 4 bottles - enough to last 200 washes. But then with a baby in the house, we wash a lot more these days.

According to the news many multibuy & Bogof deals were scrapped as soon as panic buying started resulting in an average overall increase in retail grocery prices of 2.4% in April alone.

Edited by melmerby
more precise figure

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I have no experience as we have been locked down since before the start.....but I thought the whole issue in supermarkets was people had to keep the two meters between and while walking the aisles you had to wait until the shopper in front had moved on, we’re you allowed to “overtake” in effect?

That was the annoyance our friends complained about.

I don't think there is any point in trying to attempt any form of social distancing thanks to the idiots who flock to the seaside and demonstrations at the drop of a hat.

Those pillocks standing shoulder to shoulder have to shop somewhere, you don't know who you will be near to whilst out shopping.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I don't think there is any point in trying to attempt any form of social distancing thanks to the idiots who flock to the seaside and demonstrations at the drop of a hat.

Those pillocks standing shoulder to shoulder have to shop somewhere, you don't know who you will be near to whilst out shopping.

Mike.

And already causing a rise in the R figure to over 1 (spreading) in the southwest, no doubt soon to be matched by other places being plagued (sic) by demos.

When a demonstrator was asked about lack of social distancing and the possible effect on the virus spread the comment was "this is more important", so more can die just so they can demonstrate.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

But if you try to maintain a 2m distance as far as possible, then you are automatically less exposed. Your choice.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

It doesn't matter whether it's true or not, if you see every trolley with even a couple of packs of toilet paper, what are you going to do? - I picked up one.

My theory was that if you see it grab it because at the time you don't know when you'll see it again. One thing that sticks in my mind now its over is the wierd places that had stocks of toilet paper, I remember going into a service station to pay for fuel and seeing a stack of 48-roll toilet paper, this was right in the middle of the worst of it when none of the supermarkets had any anywhere.

A week or two later I went to our small local  garden centre to buy some mulch and there by the counter was another stack of 48-roll packs - so I bought another one. I don't know what a garden centre was doing with toilet paper, they haven't had it since.

As a result I now have about 6 month supply.

If nothing else comes of it, at least from now on any apocalypse/zombie movie will now have an obligatory scene  of people running from shops with huge stacks of it.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

My theory was that if you see it grab it because at the time you don't know when you'll see it again. One thing that sticks in my mind now its over is the wierd places that had stocks of toilet paper, I remember going into a service station to pay for fuel and seeing a stack of 48-roll toilet paper, this was right in the middle of the worst of it when none of the supermarkets had any anywhere.

A week or two later I went to our small local  garden centre to buy some mulch and there by the counter was another stack of 48-roll packs - so I bought another one. I don't know what a garden centre was doing with toilet paper, they haven't had it since.

As a result I now have about 6 month supply.

If nothing else comes of it, at least from now on any apocalypse/zombie movie will now have an obligatory scene  of people running from shops with huge stacks of it.

6 months supply is clearly nonsense.

• Agree 1

My wife has always bought anything that looked like an offer, or good price at the time. That particularly applies to shopping at Aldi or Lidl, according to my daughter. 

Looking at our receipts, I’d say that the cost our weekly shop has increased by at least 10% over the past weeks, mostly because of the increasing tendency to buy small packs in the early weeks, and the reduced availability of “own brands” in favour of branded items. That’s an estimate, because we are actually spending more than that - my wife is clearly becoming bored, and occupying herself in the kitchen. 

But, I’m certain that the general depletion of stock levels and variety, and the difficulty of shopping around to compare prices, has resulted in general increases and will continue to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

The pasta wasn't anywhere near as old and was OK as an emergency until some new could be procured. It was not as good as when newly purchased.

But in the words of Croc Dundee:  "You can live on it..."

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

But if you try to maintain a 2m distance as far as possible, then you are automatically less exposed. Your choice.

Fully agree, that's why I don't go out much, but in the large supermarkets it is physically impossible to achieve a separation of any distance, let alone 2 metres, thanks to all the inconsiderate twots who think the rules don't apply to them.

I'm just worried about being the last person alive in the UK, I don't know where the light switch is!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Not at all.....we buy bulky stuff like toilet rolls, kitchen rolls and even the Method spray cleaner direct from the manufacturers on Amazon, they usually come in 12/24/48 packs and we store them in the utility room racking and they last months, much easier than running short of them and Amazon deliver usually the next day.

11 hours ago, melmerby said:

When a demonstrator was asked about lack of social distancing and the possible effect on the virus spread the comment was "this is more important", so more can die just so they can demonstrate.

Darwin A-Go-Go :rolleyes:

K

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I usually by an item when I have started/opened the previously bought one so always having a new one in stock, present concern was partly alleviated last evening by finding twin 7g packs of yeast; not ideal as I normally buy the 100g tub which is seemingly like gold dust at the moment. Have also taken to wearing a face mask - £7.70 for 10 (well actually turned out to be 11) from a Amazon seller and washable given with most shops opening on Monday shopping and walking through what was a deserted town  is going to be no doubt going to be busy, Might invest in one from the local bus company which has the pattern of their seat fabric on it,  which could actually become a collectable item in years to come, and all proceeds are going to NHS Charities.

13 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

After Asda had put their dishwasher cleaner up to £1.90 (it was £1.60), 

I bought the wife a pack of Tea Towels !!!!

Brit15

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

I usually by an item when I have started/opened the previously bought one so always having a new one in stock, present concern was partly alleviated last evening by finding twin 7g packs of yeast; not ideal as I normally buy the 100g tub which is seemingly like gold dust at the moment.

We cook our own bread but we like Sourdough bread and the plus is no yeast required, just keep the starter in the fridge and take some each time you need to make a loaf, topping it up as you go, we usually cook 3 or 4 loafs a week, lovely stuff.

6 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Local builders tell me that plaster is the new loo roll.

Somehow I don't see it making an adequate substitute.

• Funny 5

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

I usually by an item when I have started/opened the previously bought one so always having a new one in stock ...

So I guess that if the second wave of Covid-19 coincides with exacerbated supply problems, Brexit and a hard winter, you'll be scratching ...