The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Sainsburys seems to have been going down the nick for quality / choice / stock for the last couple of years, just not the place it once was. New owners ? (Qatar royal family ?).

Brit15

We have been using ASDA as our preferred supplier online for the last five weeks or so while we are shielding after finally getting priority slots, we recently also tried Sainsbury’s online a few times and to be frank Sainsbury’s stunk at it, so many subs and no shows......ASDA conversely have been very good with very few subs and almost never a no show.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Sainsburys seems to have been going down the nick for quality / choice / stock for the last couple of years ...

And seemingly getting ever more expensive, judging by their website last time I looked.  I assume that the people who regularly shop there nowadays are those who would love to patronise Waitrose but can't quite afford it but who consider the others somewhat infra dig.

Edited by spikey
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Morrisons do have regional variations in their store. Local beers and, in Bishop Auckland.. quantities of Pease Pudding not seen in the Kirkstall Shop.

All of their shops were laid out the same.. either a left hand shop, or a right hand shop.. ie when you went in through the main doors was most of the store to your left or too your right. The new people at the top are ex Tescos and they don't understand shoppers as well as the late Sir Ken Morrison did (he used to pop into his supermarkets and would be seen stocking shelves etc to help out) I doubt the people in charge now even know hat they shops look like...

at least they got rid of the mad ideas brought in by the Canadian "advisers" a while ago...

Baz

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, spikey said:

And seemingly getting ever more expensive, judging by their website last time I looked.  I assume that the people who regularly shop there nowadays are those who would love to patronise Waitrose but can't quite afford it but who consider the others somewhat infra dig.

Quite a common misconception, we (before lockdown) normally buy from Waitrose, but as a stated before now we are having to use ASDA and to be honest we are finding our food bill hovers around the same as we used to spend in Waitrose, for most groceries we buy Waitrose Essential range which are far from expensive, but of course if you want to splash out you can there where as at ASDA there is a quite limited range of more exotic/exciting ranges.

51 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Morrisons do have regional variations in their store. Local beers and, in Bishop Auckland.. quantities of Pease Pudding not seen in the Kirkstall Shop.

All of their shops were laid out the same.. either a left hand shop, or a right hand shop.. ie when you went in through the main doors was most of the store to your left or too your right. The new people at the top are ex Tescos and they don't understand shoppers as well as the late Sir Ken Morrison did (he used to pop into his supermarkets and would be seen stocking shelves etc to help out) I doubt the people in charge now even know hat they shops look like...

at least they got rid of the mad ideas brought in by the Canadian "advisers" a while ago...

Baz

Good old Ken... my other half is a Bradfordian, when we were students up in Carlisle she was working on the deli at the Morrisons there when Ken made a surprise visit, put the fear of God into them... except her of course, he was apparently pleased to find an ex-pat working there :)

As regards panic buying, my local Morrisons just seems to have odd, occasional shortages. Sugar this week of most varieties, ketchup last week, though at least flour is back in stock.

• Like 1

Sainsbury's did go a wee bit pricey.

At one time, all the other shop's 'economy', or whatever, chocolate bars were 30p, except Sainsbury's, which was, I seem to recall, 50p...all the same weight, etc.

It was the same with the other economy lines.

Recently, Tesco, and probably others, have replaced their economy brand with 'imitation brands', on the same stuff. Possibly to counter the tendancy for some people to be 'embarassed' to be seen buying the "stuff for the poor people" as someone told me they heard someone say!

Sainsbury's 'imitation brand' is "Hubbard's Food Stores".

Someone is obviously into nursery rhymes!

The items I have bought have been good, and pricing is better now too.

There are some branded items that are literally one penny dearer than the same branded item on a "Special Buy" in Lidl, and they are regular stock at that price in Sainsbury's!

It still pays to keep your eyes open.

Skimmed UHT milk has gone up from 52p a litre in Lidl to 55p.

It was still 52p a litre in Aldi on Monday...

But the cheapest in Sainsbury's is around 10p a litre dearer...and Sainsbury's own brand is higher still.

I don't buy milk from Sainsbury's!

One thing about all the reward/ club / loyalty cards is that 'they' know what you have bought.

Great...so they know that we buy the cheaper stuff, and reduced to clear items....

Also, the Nectar App gives me offers every week, for extra points, mainly on stuff that I have bought before.

You may know that nectar points can be earned, and spent, on eBay as well as other places...

So, points can be turned into model stuff! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
Some small typos corrected.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

One thing about all the reward/ club / loyalty cards is that 'they' know what you have bought.

Great...so they know that we buy the cheaper stuff, and reduced to clear items....

They know that you have bought those items no matter what, card or no card.  All a card does is allow them to put a name and address to the purchase.

• Agree 2

Re store cards Co-Op and Sainsbury's (Nectar) through their one line apps offer discounts / more Nectar points respectively on various items each week usually on items you have bought along with others obviously to try to tempt you to purchase those. Morrisons claim to do the same but only once had it actually offered an item would buy from them.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

They know that you have bought those items no matter what, card or no card.  All a card does is allow them to put a name and address to the purchase.

Unless you pay cash of course......;)

• RMweb Premium

Er no.  I think you miss the point.

If you bought 3 x 48 loo rolls and 25 x 1kg bread flour they know they have a sale for those items regardless of if you have no loyalty card or if you do - in which case they know the sale is to Boxbrowie 7, railway cuttings , Pastyland

The method of payment is irrelevant.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Er no.  I think you miss the point.

If you bought 3 x 48 loo rolls and 25 x 1kg bread flour they know they have a sale for those items regardless of if you have no loyalty card or if you do - in which case they know the sale is to Boxbrowie 7, railway cuttings , Pastyland

The method of payment is irrelevant.

I must have missed you point then, sorry......my point was if “you” buy with cash they do not know who “you” are.....of course they know the items have been bought that’s just plain ordinary stock management, but I thought we were talking about the details of who bought the items.

BOG ROLL BANDITS ARE BACK!

Is the headline on the Daily Star. Including advice to wear a Dominic Cummings mask and go to Barnard Castle as they have plenty....

With a thought for the day saying "You don't need 148 toilet rolls. And if you do, you need to see a doctor"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-53243987

Apparently they are panic buying because they are closing down "non essential shops" for a few days in Leicester. Supermarkets and the like are staying open.

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/06/2020 at 12:47, Butler Henderson said:

I use all the local stores, prices in all are either "how much" or "that's a bargain" Sticking with one and you are bound to overpay for something. Weirdest is the beer I buy, Co-op the cheapest, Asda the most expensive by 29p

In my local Co-op there are some truly marvellous beers, including some made by one of our local breweries specifically for the Co-op

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I must have missed you point then, sorry......my point was if “you” buy with cash they do not know who “you” are.....of course they know the items have been bought that’s just plain ordinary stock management, but I thought we were talking about the details of who bought the items.

It's more than simple stock management.  It is a system that links purchases.  92% of people who bought more than one pack of bog roll also bought multiple packs of flour - or whatever.   These analyses allow them to position products to expose you to all the other products they have for sale.  In my simple 2 product link you position bog roll and flour as far apart as possible to ensure the customer is exposed to the maximum other products that they might buy on impulse. 

You give a lot more away in your purchases than you perhaps think.  Oh and don't discount your mode of payment either, that is also captured and analysed.  I am not sure however that they can collect your name from the credit/debit card.  If they can they cannot store it or use it.  

56 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

It's more than simple stock management.  It is a system that links purchases.  92% of people who bought more than one pack of bog roll also bought multiple packs of flour - or whatever.   These analyses allow them to position products to expose you to all the other products they have for sale.  In my simple 2 product link you position bog roll and flour as far apart as possible to ensure the customer is exposed to the maximum other products that they might buy on impulse. 

You give a lot more away in your purchases than you perhaps think.  Oh and don't discount your mode of payment either, that is also captured and analysed.  I am not sure however that they can collect your name from the credit/debit card.  If they can they cannot store it or use it.  

If you paid cash but also used your club card, could then the transaction be linked to you by your membership details?.

• RMweb Premium

Yes of course but we were talking about how not having a club card provides them with no information.  The only information they don't have is name and address if you don't have a club card.  Everything else they have:

combination and quantity of products purchased*, value of purchase, mode of payment, quantities to reduce from their stock holding, quantities held on the shelves (rather than out back), rate of sales of products - per week, per day and per hour, calculated reorder point from central warehouse - measured in SKUs, time to reorder etc.  

* The analysis of which shows purchase links and trends of customers, probably identifies which socio-economic group the purchaser belongs to and probably puts the purchaser into a potential income bracket.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just had an e-mail from Ocado, whom I registered with 4 months ago or more, to say that I now have "Priority Access" and can now get first pick of booking slots up to 21 days hence and deliveries as frequent as every 5 days.

Strange. Why have I suddenly been granted priority access when I have been ignored for slots for the previous 4 months?

Bit late as I have been using Asda for those 4 months and have a regular delivery pass!

Well,  you might as well use Ocado.  They seem to be able to make profit/stay afloat out of home delivery.  Rumour has it that the ex-mainstream supermarkets make a substantial loss on home deliveries because of the inefficiencies inherent in "picking" orders from branch supermarket shelves/storage.  I fear that there's a heck of a shakeout impending in the retail grocery trade.....

auldreekie

My panic buying has just arrived. Realised just in time that with no prospect of taking madam to one of her favoured restaurants for our anniversary, something had better be done. Near ruptured myself lifting the heavy Cote box off the doorstep, but to my surprise no robot waiter in the box. Plenty to eat and drink however. Yet more significantly the message 'he really gave this some thought' is now proclaimed by the large box in the kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

My panic buying has just arrived. Realised just in time that with no prospect of taking madam to one of her favoured restaurants for our anniversary, something had better be done. Near ruptured myself lifting the heavy Cote box off the doorstep, but to my surprise no robot waiter in the box. Plenty to eat and drink however. Yet more significantly the message 'he really gave this some thought' is now proclaimed by the large box in the kitchen.

It was our Golden Wedding Anniversary this year (June) - big family restaurant gathering planned and booked; that wasn't going to happen!

Fortunately, we have 'Fish for Thought' https://www.fishforthought.co.uk/  just round the corner, here in Bodmin.

Suffice to say that we gorged, at home, on lobster, crab, etc., etc. - and for several days thereafter!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

round here panic buying means there is no 2" by 1" Planed PSE anywhere to buy... PAH! Somewhere there are a lot of baseboards being built

baz

• Like 1
  • Funny 1