The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
On 24/07/2020 at 20:15, simontaylor484 said:

Apparently in my part of God's country there is a shortage of plaster (the gypsum sort) 

Oh I've got 20Kg I wonder whats it worth now..

24 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Oh I've got 20Kg I wonder whats it worth now..

My neighbour is a plasterer, he was paying three times the 'pre Covid-19' price for sacks of plaster.  He usually works for local builders renovating empty houses, so happily works alone in the property.

On one job, he was loading an unused sack of plaster into his van and another van stopped and the driver offered him £10 over what he paid for the sack.

jch

Apparently in my part of God's country there is a shortage of plaster (the gypsum sort) 

Apparently there is a shortage for small orders as the big building companies have bought up stocks in bulk, according to my neighbour who is a self-employed plasterer.

jch

• RMweb Premium

The guy opposite has been renovating/re-modelling his house during lockdown with help from the rest of his workmates (he's a builder and proper jobs were getting a bit thin on the ground due to Covid-19!)

He has had loads of plaster delivered by the local builder's merchants, so seems no shortage around here.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

The guy opposite has been renovating/re-modelling his house during lockdown with help from the rest of his workmates (he's a builder and proper jobs were getting a bit thin on the ground due to Covid-19!)

He has had loads of plaster delivered by the local builder's merchants, so seems no shortage around here.

May depend what sort of plaster???

Just over the border here in Hereford definitely a big shortage of Thistle finish. B&Q have found a substitute product which I like - but the plasterers hate. There has been about four weeks interval since the last delivery of Thistle.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

May depend what sort of plaster???

Just over the border here in Hereford definitely a big shortage of Thistle finish. B&Q have found a substitute product which I like - but the plasterers hate. There has been about four weeks interval since the last delivery of Thistle.

The builder's often use Selco, so maybe better supplies than the retail sector?

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The builder's often use Selco, so maybe better supplies than the retail sector?

Sorry, did not make myself clear. Only went to B&Q because no board finish at the builders' merchants (Jewson, in this case). One local plasterer went to Preston to get some bags.

Edit to add: Just checked and, as I thought, British Gypsum and Jewson's are both part of St Gobain Group. So if they can't get it....

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Got a fella in to replace decking. Got timber for the frame but can't get concrete posts or decent sized tin of bitumen. Apparently big shortage of Fence panels too.

2 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Got a fella in to replace decking. Got timber for the frame but can't get concrete posts or decent sized tin of bitumen. Apparently big shortage of Fence panels too.

We seem to have fence panels here. Swap you for some plaster.

All stocks seem a bit low. A combination of works having shut down or furloughed staff and higher demand for DIY during lockdown.

... interesting series of posts, above. Our neighbourhood has been suffering a low-level plague of sporadic building work, I’ve never seen so many jobs going on at once, or taking so long to complete. The account I was given by the brickies working on the one at the corner, is that small owner-managed contractors have laid off most of their labour (without furlough, because most of them are trapped in the bogus self-employment which permeates the industry) and are working through their stock of properties with a few key “trades” on an ad-hoc basis. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

B&Q's website is showing thistle finish in stock but "bulk buy" only, you  have to order a minimum of £100 of goods.

Still no normal home delivery service.

There's a few things I've wanted from B&Q but they won't deliver (?) you have to shop in person, strangely quite the opposite of most other retailers.

I went to do  a click and collect from Wickes, a month or two back. Iirc, there was something up with the website, and they said just come on down. They told me that the problem was that a number of people would phone up/ internet order to collect, but never turn up. They would put the item aside for collection, and it meant that they had stock that they couldn't sell, until the time collection period ended. Tool station collects payment when you order, Don't know if Wickes are any different, and it was some other reason.

8 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Tool Station and Screwfix always ran on a business model supplying smaller customers from small premises with minimal stock. They both take payment when you order. It isn’t much of a change for them to operate “click and collect” . 

They have for some time accepted orders placed on line for pick up on store, the only change is that they now have the goods ready whereas it was usually a case waiting while they found them.

18 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I haven’t been in B&Q since this whole nonsense began. Service and stock situation is impossible. 

I went in to B&Q yesterday to pick up a new loft ladder.  The web site said they had it in stock.  There was no queue to get in.  A very helpful chap at the door told me which aisle I would find it on, and helped me to find a suitable trolley.  I found the ladder where he said it would be, plonked it on the trolley, walked straight up to a checkout, paid contactless with my phone and was on my way in just a few minutes.

I must admit that I was somewhat apprehensive after the horror stories I'd heard recently about people's experiences at B&Q as lockdown eased but my experience yesterday was perfectly fine.

• Agree 1