The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium

One thing that has been obvious from day one (in case it wasn't so already) is just how thin the veneer of rationality and decency is some. Conversely we are also seeing a lot of people step up to the plate with acts of great kindness and generosity. 

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

This huge overbuying is weird. Those of us who lose weight over the next few months will be at an advantage. Firstly health wise and secondly we won't be as 'attractive as alternative food supplies' if things get really challenging.

N. Bonypart. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

59 minutes ago, hayfield said:

In Morrisons yesterday no beer or larger to speak of but cider untouched !! also large bottles of whiskey empty. Still the retail trade has been hammered this year and I guess for those not in the food industry it will sadly get worse

On a more positive note , I spoke with Dave at SEF yesterday and he is very busy with orders 

Someone drank the whiskey and left the empty bottles on the shelf....   :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

One thing that has been obvious from day one (in case it wasn't so already) is just how thing the veneer of rationality and decency is some. 

It is a common comment that any country is only 3 square meals away from a revolution.

ETPNyULXYAAfOOA.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

No potatoes, eggs  or flour (is home baking making a comeback?)

Flour has been in short supply around here since about the time that toilet roll and dry pasta started vanishing from the shelves.  Annoying because we usually do make our own bread (in a breadmaker - I wonder if sales of those have climbed along with freezers?)

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mum and Dad have been telling me there's no mince (ground beef) in any of their local supermarkets in the Brisbane area.

Mince went first, but there is now pretty much no meat of any kind in our local stores, except, funnily enough, legs of ham. Strange because it keeps really well. Aussie are very conservative and, presumably, only panic buy ham at Christmas. Foodbank, however, had quite good general meat stocks, though no beef mince to be had. 

Tea has now disappeared from Coles, but Woolies had plenty, and were also restocking with toilet paper. I get the impression their supply chain is starting to adjust. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit different here today in Newport. One supermarket had all of the fresh veg, less potatoes, in stock. Milk is in plentiful supply, but I can't (still) get my head around why the customers are ripping out UHT.  Toilet rolls are in supply, but slightly rationed. IE, one pack of rolls per customer. FMC seems OK, as is dairy. Frozen stock appears to be brisk. The car park here was crammed full, with several people stripping out whatever they could get. I picked up 4 loaves, which is a normal stock replenishment for us. 

Our local Aldi seems OK, with the normal stock being a bit low. Predicted shortages are heated hair rollers, stuffed giraffes, and Rubik Cubes, and Chilean flags.

Stay safe, everybody!

Ian.

• Funny 2

I think we're against the grain here...

I filled our freezer a couple of weeks before all this kicked off and it doesn't look like we've had any of it!

Would like to think that by the time the stores are replenished enough, that's when we'll need to go out shopping again.

Whereas my fellow humans all barraged the local supermarket at 6am this morning.
The car park was as full as it normally is at 2pm... :eek

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Agree 3

45 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

I wonder if sales of those have climbed along with freezers?)

Friend been trying to get one, seems there's been a run.

At local Sainsbury's at 6 this morning for the wrinklies only hour. Big queue got what we needed, largely for 89yo MiL No UHT though, as someone said rather odd. Plenty of paracetemol but a lot of empty spaces in tinned, dried etc. Whiskey in good quantities - very concerned they are going to order all distilleries to make sanitiser :-)

However neighbour reported local high street butcher virtually wiped out, that will need watching.

Local Vaping shop (yes, I'm a sinner) reported two best days since opening.

Remember you're (insert nationality here)

Cheers

Stu

PS things have taken a turn for the worst, a paint chart has just appeared :-(

Edited by lapford34102
Rubbish grammar
  • Friendly/supportive 4

My eldest son has a number of jobs, all with the same small business; but one of his regular activities is delivering their products to various supermarkets and distribution depots around the north of England. 

He ventured into the toilets in a Stockton-on-Tees Asda, and found that they had put high security tags on the hand wash bottles by the washbasins. 

What has this country come to? 

IMG_2397.jpeg.dac7f45a33ed80de3e8b809c33eeea59.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Milk is in plentiful supply, but I can't (still) get my head around why the customers are ripping out UHT. 

Milk was looking in short supply at Tesco yesterday here, although I just noticed in passing because I didn't need any. Buying UHT milk will stem from the same mentality that's driven the toilet paper runs - the idea that you might be effectively under siege, and no appreciation of how much will be required ("better be 'sensible' and cautious and get a lot just in case.")

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just has an operation I was due to have next week cancelled, I was 1/2 expecting it to be honest

work are trying to get us classified as key/urgent workers as we supply the power stations and super market logistic chains 

Edited by big jim
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

My eldest son has a number of jobs, all with the same small business; but one of his regular activities is delivering their products to various supermarkets and distribution depots around the north of England. 

He ventured into the toilets in a Stockton-on-Tees Asda, and found that they had put high security tags on the hand wash bottles by the washbasins. 

I'm rather surprised that no-one had the bright idea of simply unscrewing the bottle, and leaving the tag behind....

• Agree 1

Had a Japanese takeaway from a local restaurant last night.  No trouble as they had everything we wanted.  Won't say where it is in case everyone wants to order for their freezer.  Next thing will be filling your fridge with kebabs.

• RMweb Gold

I went shopping yesterday and was astonished at our local sainsburys...

B2F5EF03-F8D1-4C50-A37D-9BADD3DF12F1.jpeg.bc3b74222ae4bab54386a31369f49b9e.jpeg

the only food for sale....

was fresh potted herbs (centre of my picture), and a few odd left overs.

No tins, packets, milk, fresh produce, juices, alcohol, bread, cakes, frozen, meat, fish, deli...

its all gone. 

they Still have  stationery, cigarettes, kitchen equipments, birthdays cards, general cleaning stuff, personal hygiene etc.

I asked about it, they said they get two lorries a day, and storage to last 2-3 days to replenish shelves... right now the lorries arent full, and everything goes out straight to shelves by 7am.. by 11am it looked like the above.

They are expecting greater food shortages In the short term, as much produce is imported and deliveries are slowing down, whilst the demand is exponentially going up. The concern is that unchecked consumption, carrying on as it is, will see a collapse in distribution as there could be odd situations where by in order to fulfill a delivery larger quantities of smaller number of items may need to be sent to stores to be productive.. resulting in extremities like some supermarkets overdosing on lettuce but no tomatoes, whilst others end up inverse etc.

around here, south london, even international shops (Polish, Turkish etc) are getting over run... My wife phoned the Polish shop about various bits, was told their shelves were pretty much done, but a lorry is due by friday, but it might be late due to restrictions in borders in Germany, Holland, Belgium, France so it could be anytime.. A lot of stories of comparing it 1980’s communism being discussed in the Polish circle, never did they ever think they would see this in the UK.

Maybe a lockdown in London  is needed, to stopping people going out, will give logistics time to catch up. They did say there isnt an overall shortage, it just people need to relax for a few days.

in the end we went to the local garden centre, its off piste for the mad masses, and it was a bit busier than normal, but lots of fresh veg there, bit more expensive, but they source from Covent Garden Market daily, they said delivery has slowed slightly, demand is huge but for now its manageable... until the masses discover it.

Dominos pizza, Deliveroo and Just Eat must be having a party though.. you cant move at night for delivery scooters

its gone crazy.

Edited by adb968008

1 hour ago, ejstubbs said:

........we usually do make our own bread (in a breadmaker - I wonder if sales of those have climbed along with freezers?)

1 hour ago, lapford34102 said:

Friend been trying to get one, seems there's been a run......

I don’t think there’s been a run on bread makers in the last week or two.

They were already in short supply from our experience.

Our bread maker died about 4 weeks ago, before the panic buying started.

We tried to buy a replacement, but they were out of stock almost everywhere.

Amazon - out of stock.

Currys - our local warehouse branch doesn’t stock them anymore. The mega store about 5 miles away only has a couple unknown brand examples in stock. All branches within 80 miles or so from our south coast home, had limited or no stock.
Also they were not available online for home delivery.

John Lewis only had a very expensive, all singing and dancing model.

We couldn’t find the make and models we wanted in Cheshire or Kent ( near both sets of parents and family locations).

My wife sourced one in Guildford, reserved it over the phone and made a 100 mile round trip to pick it up.

They only had 2 in stock. She took one of them.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Flour has been in short supply around here since about the time that toilet roll and dry pasta started vanishing from the shelves.  Annoying because we usually do make our own bread (in a breadmaker - I wonder if sales of those have climbed along with freezers?)

Nah - everyone has dug out the breadmaker from the back of the cupboard - after buying one years ago and finding out that it's actually a bit of a faff...…………..

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

I'm rather surprised that no-one had the bright idea of simply unscrewing the bottle, and leaving the tag behind....

Beyond the mental capacity of a panic buyer...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

but there also no dishwasher and washing tablets/powder/liquids.

Obviously. With all the extra food they are having to eat before it goes off, there is more washing up to do!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Picking up our normal weekly shop at the Tesco click and collect this morning we were told that there was real scrum for the loo roll isle at 6am inside the main shop. ''Madness'' the young lad said. I felt sorry for him as he's had to cancel his honeymoon in New York next month.

No milk available at Tesco so we nipped across to the nearby Sparks & Mincers where it's like a normal shopping day, plenty of stock on all of the shelves and no sign of selfishness or panic. Herself wanted to pick up a few crafty bits in Hobbycraft next door so I thought it rude not to indulge her and picked up an Airfix Ford 3-litre GT racer kit, as you do...! I was quite surprised to see most of the shelves empty in the modelling section...

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I visited Omaha Beach, sorry Asda Stevenage at 0600 this morning (in my defence I'll add that I work in Stevenage, starting at 0630 or later).  I was about number 100 and something in the queue to get in.  What p1ssed me off was the number of Mr & Mrs types, both with a jumbo trolley each.  I'd lock all the jumbo trollies up - if you can't fit it in a little shallow trolley, or carry it in baskets, you ain't 'avin it....

Plenty of empty, or near empty areas, though bread, milk, veg, some pasta (not a lot) etc  available (not for long though).  Got pretty much everything I wanted, though often a more expensive brand than I would normally buy (tight ar5e) - about 40 quids worth, so not silly. Hit the checkout queue just in time - I remembered I wanted flowers (OH's birthday on sat, Mothers Day sun) too late.  Dumped what I had in the car and went back for flowers, but gave up - that was about 0630 and the queues at the checkout were silly.

Was pretty surprised that everyone seemed polite etc. - it won't last, and certainly not in Stevenage.....

Off for a Number 3 Haircut tonight (not to be confused with a number two :) ) - normally it's a number 4 so this'll be risky.  Want to make it last a bit longer though.....

Edit:  Forget any chance of bogroll, even at 6am

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

They started doing that years ago in some places (more effectively sealed than that) as the down and outs were nicking them to drink....

Jason

• Like 1