The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

Simply crazy, the local Co-Op which happens to be the biggest usually has around a third of the parking spaces occupied for most of the day; every time I pass cars are circulating looking for parking spaces,. Hopefully once all those who were told to self isolate for 14 days from this weekend do so semblance of normality will return

I know hindsight is wonderful, but I have watched a number of pensioners being interviewed on TV and they all insisted they were not panic buying, but just getting enough stuff to enable them to stay at home for twelve weeks. 

There is the problem in a nutshell. The 12 week isolation seems to have been hardwired into the elderly, and now it is going to remain a problem. 

I'm sure the time period was used initially in order to give an idea of the seriousness of the outbreak, but it seems to have done more harm to grocery supplies than good. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Foot Asylum is just a high street store selling sports and casual wear. Owned by JD Sports but more aimed at the trendy types rather than the normal JD Sports stores.

Jason

Still really only selling gym shoes.....;)

London lock-down not on the cards at the moment, if people do as advised. However, with the attitude of the person interviewed "If I wona go out, I'll go out"  - but you may infect someone "well they should stay in then" - what hope for the rest of us?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I know hindsight is wonderful, but I have watched a number of pensioners being interviewed on TV and they all insisted they were not panic buying, but just getting enough stuff to enable them to stay at home for twelve weeks. 

There is the problem in a nutshell. The 12 week isolation seems to have been hardwired into the elderly, and now it is going to remain a problem. 

I'm sure the time period was used initially in order to give an idea of the seriousness of the outbreak, but it seems to have done more harm to grocery supplies than good. 

Rubbish. It's everybody.

I wish I had been pre-warned that there was going to be panic buying, then I would have managed to get our normal supplies before the vultures swooped, now we are looking at waiting 2½ weeks for a home delivery and still without some basic products.

I've had to go out today when I was supposedly self-isolating and will still have to go out very reluctantly on monday to try and get a few more things.

And yes, we are supposed to stay at home for (at least?) 12 weeks. But how else do you get supplies?

Note. I'm coming up to my 74th birthday and SWMBO is 72, so considered vunerable, unlike most of the panic buyers.

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Rubbish. It's everybody.

I wish I had been pre-warned that there was going to be panic buying, then I would have managed to get our normal supplies before the vultures swooped, now we are looking at waiting 2½ weeks for a home delivery and still without some basic products.

I've had to go out today when I was supposedly self-isolating and will still have to go out very reluctantly on monday to try and get a few more things.

And yes, we are supposed to stay at home for (at least?) 12 weeks. But how else do you get supplies?

Note. I'm coming up to my 74th birthday and SWMBO is 72, so considered vunerable, unlike most of the panic buyers.

try your local garden centre. Many have farm shops.

its a bit too sophisticated for the Chavarazzi, we found it a refreshingly normal retail experience today... average number of people doing normal shopping with regularly stocked shelves... we even bought some strawberry plants for summer.

Edited by adb968008

16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Rubbish. It's everybody.

Which is precisely my point. I cannot find anywhere in Boris Johnson's press conference speech where he says you are supposed to stay at home for 12 weeks. 

If anyone can, then I apologise - but here is the full transcript of what was said....

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/boris-johnson-coronavirus-speech-transcript-uk-pm-tells-uk-to-avoid-non-essential-travel-contact

14 hours ago, PatB said:

Well, here on the other side of the world, I'm observing our local situation with interest. 

Toilet roll and pasta are pretty much unavailable. A couple of days ago Coles and Woolies had no tinned tomatoes or coconut milk, but Aldi and our local greengrocers had reasonable supplies. No paracetamol or ibuprofen to be had from the big two, and rationed at the chemist, but Aldi had a shelfful. Ditto soap. Spuds all gone locally, but I did my weekly visit to Foodbank this morning (we've been struggling a bit this past year) and they've still got the iusual massive bins of ugly potatoes. Also plenty of meat and fish if you're flexible on what you'll accept. Bread in good supply. 

Our neighbour, at our shop, is WA's premier boutique butcher. Had a chat with him this morning. He's going 100% online from today. He reckons that, when he announced it at the weekend, he took 40 orders in the first couple of hours, half of which were in excess of $750 each. Even at his prices that's enough meat to block the colons of a family of 4 for 6 months. He also reckoned he'd been on the phone since 3am today trying to track down new stock. 

I called in at one of the pet supplies warehouses on the way home. Couldn't get our regular cat food but there were plenty of decent substitutes. Dog food in normal supply. Cat litter ditto. I can't help thinking that those starting to buy up cat food may not have thought things through. 

There are now tales of organised parties heading out of the city to strip the shelves in country towns too, which suggests that country folk have been a lot more sensible about this. 

Given that it's now a fortnight since certain goods vanished from the shelves, and given that a significant proportion of the population have proved to be sufficiently selfish bell-ends to make life difficult for everyone else, I do wonder if it might be time for some legally enforceable rationing, rather than relying on the poor checkout kids on minimum wage to apply the supermarket imposed limits. 

The hoarders and panic buyers at least around here seem to  think that only the two major sell anything. For instance I get my fruit and veg from a fruit barn style place on the way home - yesterady they still had ample pasta, tomato paste etc which hasn't been stocked in the nearby Woolies for weeks.

Stopped at the servo next door to it yesterday to get fuel - they had toilet paper (18 roll pack size) on the shelf.

No meat to be found in the major supermarkets - went to the butchers and had no problems getting 1.5kg of mince and 2 dozen sausages.

Its a wierd world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, irishmail said:

Someone drank the whiskey and left the empty bottles on the shelf....   :) 

Poorly written, the shelves were empty, not the bottles. But that's not to say the odd item including alcohol has been consumed and the wrapping/bottle discarded prior to going through the checkouts 

Have to apologise; I've just panic-bought a Tesco Fruit Platter!

As for the fact that I submit to the extravagance of having a bog roll in the bedroom and the kitchen, what's to say. My daily-use loo is beside the bath which has a flexible hose shower; ready made bidet! (I use a separate shower cubicle for more general purposes!)

Yes, I know, too much detail! I'm thinking of taking one of the bog rolls to my desk at work; that'll either shut them up or make them stare in bewilderment!

6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

No milk available at Tesco

Hermann's Hermits strike again!

6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Herself wanted to pick up a few crafty bits in Hobbycraft next door so I thought it rude not to indulge her and picked up an Airfix Ford 3-litre GT racer kit, as you do...! I was quite surprised to see most of the shelves empty in the modelling section...

No surprise. The industry reckons that the major modelling hobbyists are of an age where they fall foul of the current restrictions, have disposable income and a relevant hobby; they don't want to be bored out of their minds during their isolation!

4 hours ago, Penlan said:

One local store had a pile in, gone within half an hour

A pile gone within half an hour; that must have been one heck of a potent medical preparation!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

With regard to my Airfix purchasing exploits this morning it came down a choice of the following -  the aforesaid Ford GT prototype racer in the 'starter' series, likewise the associated E-Type Jag and VW Beetle kits (both tempting but having watched the Steve McQueen Le Mans documentary on BBC4 last night it had to be the racing car), the Revell 1/32nd Mosquito, a relative bargain at £30 quid but once built I'd have nowhere to put it), a couple of large scale modern trucks (not really my thing) and a die-cast police Range Rover (too pricey).

Next week, if I live that long, I shall mostly be browsing through the beige cashmere sweaters and matching slacks in M&S, for my sins... :D

• Funny 2

Must admit to panic buying this week.  Nothing to do with COVID-19, just my cat refused to eat what was in the store cupboard and I had to rush out in a panic and buy her something else!

I've also noticed a severe shortage of Mothers day cards (the few on the shelves are worse than usual) - have folks been panic buying them?

1 minute ago, crompton 33 said:

Went out today for some pet food.  Then wanted a wee  Went in a public toilet the loo roll are in a metal case fitted to the wall with a padlock on it.  Some one had broken the padlock and nicked the loo roll. :angry:

Good job it was only a wee then. Imagine sitting down to business and then realising there's no paper.

• Funny 2

24 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

.....I've also noticed a severe shortage of Mothers day cards (the few on the shelves are worse than usual) - have folks been panic buying them?

I passed our local card shop today and noticed a number of people congregated around the Mother's Day card section.

Clearly must be a case of panic buying !

I witnessed similar, if not more frantic scenes of panic buying in a couple of card shops, a day or two before Christmas.

It was mainly men who were snapping the greetings cards up, many of who had a look of frustrated urgency on their faces.

To this day, I haven't found out what the apparent crisis was supposed to be?

• Funny 1

24 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Good job it was only a wee then. Imagine sitting down to business and then realising there's no paper.

In public loos, it is advisable always to check for presence of paper before committing yourself.................

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

In public loos, it is advisable always to check for presence of paper before committing yourself.................

A variation on the old Boys Scouts Moto, "look before you leap".

"check there's more than a bit, before you...."

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

......and on the subject of panic buying.

Visited our very good local, family run greengrocers earlier today.

Fully stocked with fruit and veg, plus a whole load of commodities, such as locally produced and artisan foodstuffs (Preserves, health foods, drinks etc.).

However they were completely out of eggs and organic flour, both of which are popular commodities, which they usually have a large stock of.

Their free-range egg section is about 2 metres wide, about 4 shelves high and usually fully stocked. Today, completely empty, next delivery Saturday....probably???

It was very busy and the owner's whole extended family were unpacking freshly arrived produce, restocking the shelf trays and collecting items to full-fill local delivery orders.

Certainly as busy as Christmas Eve, if not busier.

Next on to Waitrose, where you get a better class of panic buyer. No Chavs there.

All Fresh meat and most Fish items gone.

No Flour, Sugar or Butter and very little fresh Milk (1145)

Paracetamol, in fact all available off-the-shelf painkillers, all the cough and cold medicines and products and most vitamins, completely cleared out.

This last section had a steady stream of eager looking people arriving, to look in astonishment at the empty shelves.

I also noticed that there had been a run on shoe polish !!!! The same as in Tesco's on Monday and as my daughter found in Sainsbury's yesterday.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Seen something else "panic bought" whilst in Birmingham

There was a guy with 4 large (new) Foot Asylum bags each with several pairs of trainers in.

Is there something about panic buying I've missed?:jester:

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They've got a sale on.

Jason

They're having a run on them!

Mike.

• Funny 4