The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

Just posted online:

The psychology behind why toilet paper, of all things, is the latest coronavirus panic buy.

Reason 1

People resort to extremes when they hear conflicting messages

Reason 2

Some are reacting to the lack of a clear direction from officials

Reason 3

Panic buying begets panic buying

Reason 4

It's natural to want to overprepare

Reason 5

It allows some to feel a sense of control

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, didcot said:

It's time like this that brings out the worst in people.....and the worst people.

If you want to see the worst in people observe the stampede when the platforms are announced for train departures at busy stations, oh dear.......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thankfully, times like this also bring out the best in the best people.

I guess that 5% of people swing to mega-selfishness, while 5% swing to mega-self-sacrifice, and the remaining 90% spread ourselves along the continuum between extremes.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

I have just had a look at Tesco online ( I like them for the heavy, non vital stuff - Otherwise its always try to shop local for me)

There is not a single slot available until Friday - normally I could have ordered stuff now and it would be delivered by lunchtime tomorrow.....

Ones does have to wonder if some people live in a permanent state of anxiety about anything and everything.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

I have just had a look at Tesco online ( I like them for the heavy, non vital stuff - Otherwise its always try to shop local for me)

There is not a single slot available until Friday - normally I could have ordered stuff now and it would be delivered by lunchtime tomorrow.....

Ones does have to wonder if some people live in a permanent state of anxiety about anything and everything.

The media don't help, to follow the media you might think all human existence was an existential crisis interspersed with a bit of celebrity tittle tattle.  The irony is most in the developed world really aren't that bothered about those unfortunate people in the world which really do face deprivation,  disease and death as their normal state of being.

• Agree 11

30 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The media don't help,

Of course it's slightly more complex than that.

30 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

... to follow the media you might think all human existence was an existential crisis interspersed with a bit of celebrity tittle tattle.  The irony is most in the developed world really aren't that bothered about those unfortunate people in the world which really do face deprivation,  disease and death as their normal state of being.

The media focus on stories that their consumers will follow. They are an imperfect mirror of ourselves.

They focus on stories that will generate clicks, get eyes on commercials or sell papers based on topics that interest their consumers.

They don't focus on stories where deprivation (particularly in the developing world) is normal - because these stories don't generate clicks, get eyes on commercials or sell papers.

A flood in Bangladesh that kills thousands will get a mention, but flooding in a UK town after heavy rains will get wall to wall coverage on the evening news.

Humans are funny creatures. We have deep wells of empathy for others inside our self-identified "tribal" boundaries*, but not so much for the "other" who are not.

* Whether they be national, ethnic, cultural, political, religious or whatever.

• Agree 5

On 08/03/2020 at 19:44, spamcan61 said:

This was the bog roll aisle in Morrisons Totton yesterday lunchtime (after a visit to the Romsey exhibition) , not sure what brand that is left in the middle but it comes to something when even the panic buyers won't touch it lol.

20200307_133155_copy_1152x864.jpg

Looks like Regina Blitz. Which is kitchen towel type paper

On 08/03/2020 at 21:01, jcm@gwr said:

Agreed, but there has been talk recently about dropping BBE's for certain things.

honey for a start, but also pasta and instant coffee, I can't remember the others.

Instant  coffee certainly goes off fairly soon.

All the best

Katy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Just what is it with the mass purchase of bog roll thing?

Its not a norrow virus is it???

Having been there and done that I could understand the reasons if it actually was one of them  :O

Because bog roll is cheaper than buying tissues to sneeze/cough in.........................

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2020 at 17:29, Dagworth said:

Thanks for the reminder, must pop to the shops and stock up in case I have to self isolate. A few sheets of plasticard and a couple of bottles of plastic weld should see me okay. 

Andi

That’ll keep me occupied. Bring it on...

00AC9672-7AAC-4044-897D-6DD3039DBCAD.jpeg.70a6b529e9a15040ea61826a16c84aab.jpeg

Andi

• Like 2

Over here there's definitely a lack of consistency in what's selling or being restocked. Yesterday I was in Woolworths in Peppermint Grove (very upmarket area). Toilet paper and hand sanitiser were on the shelves as normal. No rationing, no scrums. I don't think I saw anyone buying any of either. A bit later I was in Woolworths in Belmont (not upmarket at all) and the toilet paper shelves were bare, rationing was in force even if there had been any, and the hand sanitiser was in a locked cabinet behind the customer service desk. 

I've also noticed, regarding foodstuffs, that, whilst branded pasta, baked beans etc. sold out very quickly, there have been plentiful supplies of supermarket own brand stuff. Clearly only Heinz baked beans will appropriately sustain body and soul through the apocalypse. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, kernowtim said:

My local tesco has run out of pasta, despite signs put up limiting purchases to 5 per customer,  as well as loo roll.

The reason being that panic buying begets panic buying, it's like a pyramid selling scheme, the first pillock who panic buys passes it on to to people who aren't aware of the need to panic buy, then the everyone is on the slippery slope., so Tesco has more customers for pasta than it ever did.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
Additional video.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Which is why of course we are so successful as a species.

We look after our own.

Animals of every species above the very simple ones that reproduce on a ‘lay eggs and forget about it’ basis look after their own, and once you come to really complex animals they are as tribal as we are.

So tribalism isn’t unique to humans, and therefore cannot be the key to our success.

The key to our success (if succeed we have) is almost certainly our big brains, which allow or cause us to get beyond tribalism, look at the bigger picture, do bigger things.

Bees and chimpanzees ‘look after their own’. They don’t seem to threaten our position as world-dominant, though.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Kickstart said:

Looks like Regina Blitz. Which is kitchen towel type paper

Yup, which is why it's still there, if I remember right, that's the one that won't fit on a standard size kitchen roll holder. You'd have to be desperate to buy that one.

• Informative/Useful 1

My quick pop to the shop to buy a loaf suggests that’s we are past ‘peak panic’ except in toilet rolls ....... everything else looks well-stocked, but those shelves are bare.

I get why stockpile, to a degree, but building a bog-roll bunker in every back bedroom baffles me.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, kernowtim said:

My local tesco has run out of pasta, despite signs put up limiting purchases to 5 per customer,  as well as loo roll.

Its so easy to make, flour, egg and water, with a dash of oil and a sprinkle of salt. Also bread is not that far behind especially if you have a bread machine !!!

• Agree 1