The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

50 minutes ago, midlands said:

Afternoon all,

I would like to ask if anyone has actually had any help getting food deliverys from HMG? I received a text today stateing that I had registered as clinically extremely vunerable. But not had a letter from the NHS to confirm this. We'll share your details with the NHS. If the NHS defines you as clinically extremely vunerable the NHS will contact you. Your GP will be informed. (my GP has my medical records, shouldn't he already know?).

It goes on to say if I need help getting food and supplies, but am not on the clinically extremely vunerablen list my details will be shared with supermarkets. They may be able to help.

I spent most of december and part of Jan/ Febuary in my local general hospital due to flare ups of my copd and was released to home with home oxygen as backup. I was looking forward to a gentle recovery through the summer and had only just got used to ventureing outside when the virus thing exploded on the UK.

Sorry for the waffling on, do you think I would be considered vunerable?

Anyway, I'd appreciate other folks views on wether or not I am in that group and also any advice from folks in the know.

Thanks again

Roger

Check it's not a scam first.

Whilst there are genuine schemes happening, there have already been reports that scum are targeting vulnerable people.

I would almost certainly say you are considered vulnerable if you need oxygen. Have a look in this thread as everything will be lost in here as most posts in this thread are moaning about shops.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/152491-self-isolation-support-group/page/35/#comments

Jason

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, midlands said:

Afternoon all,

I would like to ask if anyone has actually had any help getting food deliverys from HMG? I received a text today stateing that I had registered as clinically extremely vunerable. But not had a letter from the NHS to confirm this. We'll share your details with the NHS. If the NHS defines you as clinically extremely vunerable the NHS will contact you. Your GP will be informed. (my GP has my medical records, shouldn't he already know?).

It goes on to say if I need help getting food and supplies, but am not on the clinically extremely vunerablen list my details will be shared with supermarkets. They may be able to help.

I spent most of december and part of Jan/ Febuary in my local general hospital due to flare ups of my copd and was released to home with home oxygen as backup. I was looking forward to a gentle recovery through the summer and had only just got used to ventureing outside when the virus thing exploded on the UK.

Sorry for the waffling on, do you think I would be considered vunerable?

Anyway, I'd appreciate other folks views on wether or not I am in that group and also any advice from folks in the know.

Thanks again

Roger

Further to what Jason has said, Kathedron posted this link https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable some way back up the thread, which you can fill in.  I think you qualify.

• Like 1

Just been to local Co-Op , devastated again on a number of products lines. No chance of 2m distancing with the 2m spaced queue for the indoor Boots heading down the freezer/medical isle. No one coughed or sneezed anyway which is whole purpose of the 2m distancing.

On the magazine ordering front the result is Guidelines 1 Key 0 with Bylines dropping through the letterbox this afternoon but no sign yet of MLI.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Just been to local Co-Op , devastated again on a number of products lines. No chance of 2m distancing with the 2m spaced queue for the indoor Boots heading down the freezer/medical isle. No one coughed or sneezed anyway which is whole purpose of the 2m distancing.

On the magazine ordering front the result is Guidelines 1 Key 0 with Bylines dropping through the letterbox this afternoon but no sign yet of MLI.

If you can't keep 2 m away then at least avoid being face to face so even if someone does cough or sneeze or just breathes out heavily (or talks with a lot of Ts) it won't go in your face (and vice-versa of course).

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

2m separation is the advisory guideline.  It is understood that it cannot be practicable in every case but where and when it is possible it should be observed.  

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I would almost certainly say you are considered vulnerable if you need oxygen. Have a look in this thread as everything will be lost in here as most posts in this thread are moaning about shops.

Jason

But this is the 'Panic Buying' thread. What would you expect? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

We found a Hampshire farm that normally supplies restaurants, pubs and commercial kitchens with fresh vegetables, fruit, eggs and milk - this side of their business has now stopped, so they have created an online shop. You create your order, pay by Paypal, and then choose a collection slot - ten minute slots throughout the day. We picked 11am yesterday - we were notified by email, that on arrival we should pass the entrance, turn round, and then pull up by a table, and open the boot/tailgate. A man with a mask asked our name, picked up a box containing our order and placed it in the back of the car. It all took a couple of minutes - however it did mean going out in the car - something which now appears to be giving concern to the government. 

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 5

I have been following a policy of “fortune favours the bold”, buying things that seem out of favour, with an eye to things reduced because they are near “best by” date; catering chez moi has markedly improved! 

Tonight we are having sea bass, baked with shallots, tomatoes and mushrooms; fine beans, frozen peas and asparagus; rice. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

- however it did mean going out in the car - something which now appears to be giving concern to the government. 

How else is most of the population going to collect food then?

I can walk to a local convenience store for the usual convenience stuff - bread, milk etc, but there's no way I can carry home a decent shop from there.

Main shopping is carried out at one of the 6-8 or so supermarkets within 15-20 minutes drive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

I have been following a policy of “fortune favours the bold”, buying things that seem out of favour, with an eye to things reduced because they are near “best by” date; catering chez moi has markedly improved! 

Tonight we are having sea bass, baked with shallots, tomatoes and mushrooms; fine beans, frozen peas and asparagus; rice. 

If you can be bothered to do it there are some incredible food bargains to be had and hour or so before closing time, especially on a Sunday.  A neighbour was in Morrisons just before Christmas, and picked up two turkeys listed at £28.00 each  for £2.86 each.  My wife went with this neighbour a few weeks ago - before the virus was news - and between them bought £110 worth of food  (meat, veg and fruit) and paid just under £9.00 for the lot. There are regulars who do this sort of buying weekly, and it can become a bit of a bun fight - excuse the pun!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

it did mean going out in the car - something which now appears to be giving concern to the government. 

It's a shopping trip.  They have to be realistic about what people are free to do.  New guidelines have been issued to police forces effectively telling them that tracking by drone and road blocks are not authorised under the emergency powers.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Local Spar now has a large display of catering size baked bean tins - so if you can chomp your way thru 2.62kg of 'em you know where to come for your shopping!!

Everything else was better stocked than it normally would be, except for some pasta eggs and washing up liquid....

Notsolocal Tesco had even got bread at reduced prices, and was quite calm except for the statutory really important middleclassyummymummy running about the place disregarding everything we are meant to do....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LBRJ said:

Local Spar now has a large display of catering size baked bean tins - so if you can chomp your way thru 2.62kg of 'em you know where to come for your shopping!!

As the ad jingle went

A million housewives every day

Pick up a tin of beans and say

Beanz Meanz Smellzz!!!

'specially if you attempt to digest a catering tin of the little rotters.......  :stinker:

Finally, a legitimate use for THAT emoji!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Notsolocal Tesco had even got bread at reduced prices, and was quite calm except for the statutory really important middleclassyummymummy running about the place disregarding everything we are meant to do....

Given the chance I would puncture the tyres on their shopping trolley.............................

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Given the chance I would puncture the tyres on their shopping trolley.............................

I have heard one or two tales from the Local Spar that involve some people finding out they are really not so important outside their own little world ;) 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Hroth said:

As the ad jingle went

A million housewives every day

Pick up a tin of beans and say

Beanz Meanz Fartz!!!

'specially if you attempt to digest a catering tin of the little rotters.......  :stinker:

Finally, a legitimate use for THAT emoji!

Corrected

:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

Already out of date as Trump, presumably worried about the crash in US oil price is trying to get Saudi & Russia to come to some agreement on production. Oil prices have already recovered about 10%.

• Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Corrected

:jester:

Its what the hubby would think and say.

The wife might think it but say "smellz"

Its the same with other things, she'd think "oh sh(i)t" and say "sugar..."

Edited by Hroth
net nanny strikes again!!!
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Hroth said:

Beanz Meanz Fartz!!!

And remember, folks, if you're close enough to smell it you are too close under social distancing guidelines :jester:

Sainsburys are among other outlets selectively discounting Easter products with some at less than half price today.  Your local outlet may vary.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Only thing Tesco was completely out of today was soap and pasta (although there were only a handful of packets of rice).

edit: DOn't know about washing up liquid, because I forgot to buy any. After forgetting the shopping list and leaving it at home, grr! Hopefully it'll eke out until next week.

Edited by Reorte
  • Friendly/supportive 1