Is the NYMR's 9F unique?

QuoitsPlayer

Hi everyone, having watched C5's programme about the NYMR on Friday the commentary kept repeating that their 9F was "the only one in the world". Obviously other 9Fs are in existence so is there anything particularly unique about the NYMR 9F?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Sheffield said:

You can not take seriously what is said on the television. They also said the 9F was the most powerfull loco built in Britian. I don't think they bother with research any more.

Least powerful preserved 9F

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm not convinced a double chimney would increase the power, but it would lower fuel consumption. But then again an a heritage line with low speeds and lightweight trains it wouldn't make any difference at all!

I've seen mention that conversion of a single chimney Gresley to double is worth around 500HP. Not sure what other mods were made at the same time - double kylchap blastpipes but were they single kylchap before?

The commentary on the program does my head in.

Edited by Bucoops

3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm not convinced a double chimney would increase the power, but it would lower fuel consumption. But then again an a heritage line with low speeds and lightweight trains it wouldn't make any difference at all!

From what I've read, it did raise the maximum power output, which wasn't noticeable for most duties, but did INCREASE the coal consumption at lower outputs, so were less popular with firemen.

13 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

From what I've read, it did raise the maximum power output, which wasn't noticeable for most duties, but did INCREASE the coal consumption at lower outputs, so were less popular with firemen.

Interesting! Unintended consequences!

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Bucoops said:

......The commentary on the program does my head in.

Our reply to the TV when the next exaggerated claim comes on, or something silly (in my view) happens is; “that’s for the cameras!”

Leaving that aside we enjoy it.

Back on topic, we were at the NYMR when they were filming the 9F sequence in the shed. It was in light steam, separated from its tender and the film crew were on the ground.

On 12/03/2020 at 08:19, Tim Hall said:

I just glazed over....

I thought it was cracking myself...

I actually do quite like it, but then one of my other hobbies is pottery. Making stuff on the wheel is harder than it looks.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

I thought it was cracking myself...

I actually do quite like it, but then one of my other hobbies is pottery. Making stuff on the wheel is harder than it looks.

Surely making a right mess is easy?

• Funny 2

• 2 months later...

People might knock the programme,  but it does nothing but good for the NYMR and wider preservation.

Sure, the description was rather vague, but being the only preserved single chimney 9F Makes it unique. So they weren't wrong.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 09/03/2020 at 21:54, LMS2968 said:

Though that's the first time I've heard about double chimneys increasing consumption at low outputs, it sounds feasible, if they dropped off the efficiency curve for the drafting, and didn't pull the fire as well as a single. As 9F's were built to be driven hard, I suspect it was seldom an issue in their operating days, and reduced coal consumption at higher outputs, was no double more desirable on the whole, than increases at low outputs. 

On the same vein, I think that there would not be much difference in performance between any of the 9F's at sub 25mph due to the draughting (drafting?) and any variations in performance would be more likely down to locomotive condition, firebox, tubes, passages, valves, pistons, valve timing etc rather than how many pots it has on top. 

Re. the 9F being the most powerful, contentious comment as it was (and I suspect just to give some drama to the commentary) it depends in what context you define as most powerful I guess, hauling an express over Shap for example requires a markedly different "powerful" locomotive, to one which hauls Iron ore trains from docks to Consett, or 2000 plus tonnes at Foster Yeoman, the DBHP/IHP etc. figures are probably not even comparable. however.............. given the 9F's could hit 90mph, if there was any one locomotive that could haul an express up Shap, and drag and slog a heavy freight train up a steep incline, I would like to suggest it would be the 9F. 

Also, I've shouted at the TV so many times whilst watching that TV programme, my wife is concerned for my mental health, but it is a programme that is largely targeting non-enthusiasts, and that most definitely is a good thing for luring new folk into the fraternity, even if it does drive the rest of us nuts! Stuff like Shed and Buried does the same to me, particularly when they rope in "experts"................

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

[...]

Re. the 9F being the most powerful, contentious comment as it was (and I suspect just to give some drama to the commentary) it depends in what context you define as most powerful I guess, hauling an express over Shap for example requires a markedly different "powerful" locomotive, to one which hauls Iron ore trains from docks to Consett, or 2000 plus tonnes at Foster Yeoman, the DBHP/IHP etc. figures are probably not even comparable. however.............. given the 9F's could hit 90mph, if there was any one locomotive that could haul an express up Shap, and drag and slog a heavy freight train up a steep incline, I would like to suggest it would be the 9F. 

[...]

It's been my contention for at least the last two decades that the 9F was by far the most successful mixed traffic engine built in the UK, an argument let down by the fact that non had steam heating.

• Like 1