Dapol Class 52 changing speed on different DCC Districts

NorthBritish

Hi,

I've got  a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advanced 2 Wireless system with the Gaugemaster 8amp booster. The main unit is on one district and the 2nd district uses the 8amp booster.

I've recently bought a class 52 Western 'Western Enterprise' from Cheltenham Model Centre and noticed the locomotive dramically changes speed when it moves into the booster district. None of my other locomotives, including Dapol class 22's do this.

I have a large number of sounded locomotives spread across the two districts.

The speed changed and sound of the motor is quite significant and needs to be resolved.

I haven't spoken to Gaugemaster or Dapol/Cheltenham Model Centre yet as I thought I would ask on here and see if anybody else has had this problem.

Why would only the new loco be affected?

Cheers,

Simon

This has to be interaction between the different loco decoders and the DCC system components. As already suggested, if possible exchange with one of the decoders in a model not showing the speed change, to test whether the problem travels with the decoders. I would expect Gaugemaster would want the decoder identities if they were to look into it.

Hi,

The decoder I fitted is non sound and think it is a Hornby Sapphire. It was fitted to a Dapol class 22 and don't believe that gave any problems, but I will put the decoder into another model and see if the problem persists.

If it does occur then I will make Gaugemaster my first point of call.

Cheers,

Simon

Is this the only non-sound decoder, or the only one of a particular make?

It sounds like the power supply voltages are different to the two power districts, or the voltage drop in the PA2 and the booster are different, resulting in a lower track voltage, and the new decoder is less sophisticated at keeping a constant speed.

Might be worth investigating any BEMF settings.

Hi,

I've tried several different non sounded decoders including Gaugemaster and none have solved the problem. It is possible that some other locomotives could be doing it, but it's not very obvious if that is the situation.

The track voltage appears to be the same when I checked it with a meter, assuming that the meter is sensitive enough to give a different reading? I had the meter set for 20v AC.

Since multiple decoders are giving the same problem I don't believe it will be a corruption issue.

I've rung Gaugemaster and they are a little stuck at the moment on what to suggest.

Cheers,

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Can you use your sound fitted locos with the sound turned off to see if this makes it more obvious - being able to hear the motors speed change - whether they are affected or not in the same way?  That might help to narrow down the problem to either a voltage difference in the two districts, or something to do with the class 52.

Izzy

3 hours ago, NorthBritish said:

Hi,

I've tried several different non sounded decoders including Gaugemaster and none have solved the problem. It is possible that some other locomotives could be doing it, but it's not very obvious if that is the situation.

The track voltage appears to be the same when I checked it with a meter, assuming that the meter is sensitive enough to give a different reading? I had the meter set for 20v AC.

Since multiple decoders are giving the same problem I don't believe it will be a corruption issue.

I've rung Gaugemaster and they are a little stuck at the moment on what to suggest.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi,

It may be there is a medium rather than a low resistance in the wiring associated with one power district. The OO Dapol models I've measured have the second highest current draw (Heljan being the thirstiest).

Regards

Nick