The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Exotic place names in the UK

PhilJ W

I think it's a shame that Madderport, Much Madder and Gammon Madder aren't real. They deserve to be and, compared with some real place names, a River Madder is quite credible.

Update

In fact it's perfectly credible as there really is a River Madder in Wiltshire. It flows through Wilton

H.S. Merritt: Bridge over the River Madder, Wilton

I don't know when the local busybodies got it renamed as the River Nadder but from now on I know what I shall call it. It was the River Madder in the 1830s but Naddder by the end of the 19th C.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven't ploughed all the way back to the beginning - Have we had Tarring Neville - a hamlet on the Lewes road out of Newhaven? I don't know what Neville had done to warrant tarring. It is, I am told, only one of two double-barrelled place names in East Sussex - the other being Horsted Keynes - if any one has heard of that place. That is presumably if you don't count East, West etc prefixes. There are plenty of them. I live in East Blatchington. West Blatchington is the other side of Brighton a dozen or more miles away. 

There are many 'bottoms' around here but they are just valleys, usually without any houses. When a lad on Mendip, I was amused by a place on the bus route from Coleford to Frome called Dead Lady's Bottom.

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional info
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

I haven't ploughed all the way back to the beginning - Have we had Tarring Neville - a hamlet on the Lewes road out of Newhaven? I don't know what Neville had done to warrant tarring.

I think the Neville family owned it. They were one of the major landowners in Sussex. The addition distinguishes it from the other Tarring (aka West Tarring) which is now within Worthing.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I haven't ploughed all the way back to the beginning - Have we had Tarring Neville - a hamlet on the Lewes road out of Newhaven? I don't know what Neville had done to warrant tarring. It is, I am told, only one of two double-barrelled place names in East Sussex - the other being Horsted Keynes - if any one has heard of that place. That is presumably if you don't count East, West etc prefixes. There are plenty of them. I live in East Blatchington. West Blatchington is the other side of Brighton a dozen or more miles away. 

There are many 'bottoms' around here but they are just valleys, usually without any houses. When a lad on Mendip, I was amused by a place on the bus route from Coleford to Frome called Dead Lady's Bottom.

A very high percentage of the double-barreled names involve the name of the owning family or body. There are many of them in Dorset, Somerset and Herefordshire. Some of the ones in Herefordshire are definitely exotic with French family names, presumably from Norman times. Neville is, I think, a French name too. In Dorset and Somerset we have several xxx Abbas (i.e. belonging to the local abbey) and a few xxx Episcopi (i.e. belonging to the local bishop).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I haven't ploughed all the way back to the beginning - Have we had Tarring Neville - a hamlet on the Lewes road out of Newhaven? I don't know what Neville had done to warrant tarring. It is, I am told, only one of two double-barrelled place names in East Sussex - the other being Horsted Keynes - if any one has heard of that place.

There's quite a few double placenames in East Sussex. Excluding the compass directions, you've got Barcombe Cross, Barcombe Mills, Broad Oak, Broad Oak (yep, two villages with the same name!), Five Ash Down, Forest Row, Hadlow Down and Stone Cross. Horsted Keynes doesn't count, it's in West Sussex...

Plus, not a village, but appropriate for this thread, the SSSI at Lower Dicker

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the cricket ground at Royal Tunbridge Wells is called Nevill, without the E. He, Nevill, was Marquis of Abergavenny, I read. The LBSCR had several locos named after him. 

On-topic, Abinger Bottom is a nice sort of place. 

• Like 2

Derby suburbs can boast both California and New Zealand. In addition there's Little Chester - the Roman bit. There's Sunny Hill and also Rose Hill.

Of course there's plenty of gates, including Friargate (the disused station), but I think the best gate is Overgate in Dundee, overlooking the Minnie and Dan statues.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bill Radford said:

Of course there's plenty of gates, including Friargate (the disused station), but I think the best gate is Overgate in Dundee, overlooking the Minnie and Dan statues.

In the Danelaw, a gate isn't a gate - that's a bar - but a street. Alnwick has Bondgate Tower, which is an example of a bar. Bondgate doesn't refer to its function but rather to its location, straddling the street called Bondgate, dividing Bondgate Without from Bondgate Within. This street had once been the dwelling-place of bondsmen, i.e. serfs of the Percy family.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't really describe it as "exotic", but when I was a trainee at Selby, Henwick Hall was on our patch (at that time on the ECML before the Selby diversion). We used to get there by turning off the A1041 at a place called "Cat Babbleton" - I've always thought this would be a good fictitious name for a small country station.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

In the Danelaw, a gate isn't a gate - that's a bar - but a street. Alnwick has Bondgate Tower, which is an example of a bar. Bondgate doesn't refer to its function but rather to its location, straddling the street called Bondgate, dividing Bondgate Without from Bondgate Within. This street had once been the dwelling-place of bondsmen, i.e. serfs of the Percy family.

Have we mentioned Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma Gate in York?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

I'm rather fond of the Wallops in Hampshire

I'm not fussed where they are so long as they are not too hard :jester:

As we were discussing the Brighton, Hove and Sussex area above then we need to acknowledge Devil's Dyke, Fulking (which many a local schoolboy found amusing enough to alter on the class map), Itchingfield (once proud owner of a railway junction) and Burpham.

Farther west in Hampshire we encounter Sandy Balls and Nomansland.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2020 at 16:38, Nick C said:

<snip> and Hazlemere (sic)...

Hazlemere is the correct spelling for the place near High Wycombe.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2020 at 16:50, Ian Smeeton said:

Still, it is nicer than Fancy Farm, in Greenock. Not Fancy, and not a farm.

Also a district in Greenock - Cornhaddock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not too far from. here we have Assendon including Lower Assendon.   And I've often wondered how that might have been pronounced in times past.  Before you get there heading north westwards you pass a pub called The Golden Ball which the locals know by another name.  And once you've passed the Assendons you come to Pishill - which has two pronunciations and in the not too distant past the one you used could well be indicative of your social class (or what you wished to convey to others as your class):  it is incidentally nowadays the site of quite extensive vineyards.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I was once told by a Landore driver who may have been having me on that The Mumbles in Swansea got it's/their name from the respectable types who moved there in Victorian times discovering that the Welsh name, Y Bronydd, meant 'The Breasts', which makes sense when you look at Mumble Head from the other side of the bay.  In embarrassment, they mumbled the name when anyone asked where they lived.  According to the bilingual road signs, Welsh for The Mumbles is 'Y Mwmbls', which is simply Mumbles pronounced phonetically in Welsh.  

As I say, he may have been having me on but I sort of hope he wasn't; it's the sort of thing I'd like to be true.