The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Exotic place names in the UK

PhilJ W

On 09/03/2020 at 12:33, PhilJ W said:

On another thread a discussion ensued about exotic sounding places in the UK. An example is there are one or two places called California.

My maternal grandparents lived in Normanby near Middlesborough. About a mile away in Eston there was a suburb called California and I seem to remember there was an 'Eston & California Social Club'.
<https://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=455770&Y=518925&A=Y&Z=115>

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

And at risk of repeating once again Pityme is in Cornwall.

Pityme (one word) may be in Cornwall, but Pity Me (two words) is in Durham.  It is important to know the difference, as otherwise you might end up 320 miles from where you want to be!

Probably related to the Starveall farms to be found round these parts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/03/2020 at 14:39, Gwiwer said:

Farther west in Hampshire we encounter Sandy Balls and Nomansland.  

Only Forest Road (the tarmac thereof) in Nomansland is in Hampshire; its buildings and all the other streets are in Wiltshire. The boundary was moved in 1895 before which Wiltshire extended eastwards from here.

Edited by DIW
Added link to Wiki
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Not quite as exotic as California or Bermuda, but just to the east of Dumfries is a place named Isle of Man

Bizarrely there's a farm called 'Isle of Wight Farm' near the top of Dunstable Downs...

• Like 1

Upper Ducks Bottom and Lower Ducks Bottom from a Two Ronnies Phantom Raspberry Sketch.

Brigadoon, wonder if it will be seen before Peco roll out the Bullhead Double Slips and 13 ton Hopper wagon kit.

Royston Vasey

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Has anyone mentioned the 'Piddles' yet?

We were being polite :jester:

Piddlehinton, Piddletrenthide both along the road from Briantspuddle, Tolpuddle, Affpuddle, Turnerspuddle and Puddletown.  Also close to Bere Regis meaning one could enjoy Bere before all the Puddles and Piddles occurred ;)  

Wyre Piddle is somewhat farther away near Worcester.  I often felt its twin should be Wyre Knot.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

We were being polite :jester:

Piddlehinton, Piddletrenthide both along the road from Briantspuddle, Tolpuddle, Affpuddle, Turnerspuddle and Puddletown.  Also close to Bere Regis meaning one could enjoy Bere before all the Puddles and Piddles occurred ;)  

Wyre Piddle is somewhat farther away near Worcester.  I often felt its twin should be Wyre Knot.  

Of course you do know that "piddle" is an early version of "puddle", as shown by the rhyme about Dr Foster and Gloucester.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Budgie said:

Of course you do know that "piddle" is an early version of "puddle", as shown by the rhyme about Dr Foster and Gloucester.

And that all the Dorset ones are named from the River Piddle

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Pulham Down.

Not to be confused with Fetcham Downs. Indeed, i have eulogised before about the three communities in the same locale - Bookham, Fetcham and get on with Effingham (the latter best known in railway terms for its Junction). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Al51 said:

Here in Portsmouth we have a Fawcett Road, and of course a pub on that road that is called 'The Fawcett Inn'.  

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7910228,-1.0762432,3a,75y,181.97h,84.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stKyNgdV7tsGLZ0JCIWaCkA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Al

That will be the naval influence! Rum, s****y and the lash.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Not to be confused with Fetcham Downs. Indeed, i have eulogised before about the three communities in the same locale - Bookham, Fetcham and get on with Effingham (the latter best known in railway terms for its Junction). 

Lived in Bookham from 1960 to 1969. We rarely used the station as Leatherhead was just as close and had a much better service.

Effingham Jct was also miles away from Effingham and broke with the usual Southern convention that Junction was used for stations with a branch to that place e.g. Seaton Junction, Clapham Junction, Sidmouth Junction.

The only place that could have used a station, with shops and houses close by, was Fetcham. It still does not have a station to this day, greatly increasing the local road traffic to Leatherhead and to Stoke d'Abernon.

• Like 1