The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Exotic place names in the UK

PhilJ W

22 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

We were being polite :jester:

Piddlehinton, Piddletrenthide both along the road from Briantspuddle, Tolpuddle, Affpuddle, Turnerspuddle and Puddletown.  Also close to Bere Regis meaning one could enjoy Bere before all the Puddles and Piddles occurred ;)  

Wyre Piddle is somewhat farther away near Worcester.  I often felt its twin should be Wyre Knot.  

All those with the name 'puddle' were 'piddle' but were changed because of Victorian prudish attitude over piddle being slang for piss. Those being near the main Dorchester/Weymouth 'highway' being the biggest candidates for change.:sungum:

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Lived in Bookham from 1960 to 1969.

Some of the best crumpet at our skool (in Dorking) lived in Bookham. Sole Farm Road & Avenue, Barn Meadow Lane and Keswick Road come to mind. Not that I managed to pull any of them, mind.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Some of the best crumpet at our skool (in Dorking) lived in Bookham. Sole Farm Road & Avenue, Barn Meadow Lane and Keswick Road come to mind. Not that I managed to pull any of them, mind.....

Would have gone to Dorking GS myself in 1970 if the parents had not moved the year before. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

At the top of the hill just before Nuneham Courtenay, heading towards Reading from Oxford on the A4074 (anciently the A423), is Nineveh the Great - the city the old Jonah was put to such trouble over - now dwindled to a mere farm. But it is traditionally greeted with a glad cry of "Nineveh!" as we are only 24 miles from home.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2020 at 20:53, Tanllan said:

My maternal grandparents lived in Normanby near Middlesborough. About a mile away in Eston there was a suburb called California and I seem to remember there was an 'Eston & California Social Club'.
<https://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=455770&Y=518925&A=Y&Z=115>

https://www.discogs.com/Vin-Garbutt-Eston-California/release/3311387

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/03/2020 at 17:30, Gwiwer said:

We were being polite :jester:

Piddlehinton, Piddletrenthide both along the road from Briantspuddle, Tolpuddle, Affpuddle, Turnerspuddle and Puddletown.  Also close to Bere Regis meaning one could enjoy Bere before all the Puddles and Piddles occurred ;)  

Wyre Piddle is somewhat farther away near Worcester.  I often felt its twin should be Wyre Knot.  

Also not far from Shitterton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Flipping the coin for a moment - because this could be its own topic - very much less-than-exotic place names might start with 

13 hours ago, 96701 said:

Shitterton.

and continue via Old Wives Lees and Plucks Gutter both near Canterbury.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not a place name, but near me there is a stretch of road known as 'Sally in the Woods'.   Always conjures up images of an old witch or hermitress terrorising the local population as they travelled through the forest, but more likely is medieval to signify a track through the woods as in Sally Porte in a castle or "Sally Forth".

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've mentioned this else where, but here in Norfolk, Near Acle, is Nowhere..

plus of course Great and Little Snoring.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/03/2020 at 16:24, bike2steam said:

All those with the name 'puddle' were 'piddle' but were changed because of Victorian prudish attitude over piddle being slang for piss. Those being near the main Dorchester/Weymouth 'highway' being the biggest candidates for change.:sungum:

Minor point, as above broadly correct, but if you are in the Piddle valley heading to Weymouth from Dorchester you need a new map/sat nav! All east of Dorchester not south.

Edited by john new
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 15/03/2020 at 17:03, Oldddudders said:

At New Mills, where I went to school, the crumpet all lived in HOPE

:mellow:

dh

• Funny 4

22 hours ago, john new said:

Minor point, as above broadly correct, but if you are in the Piddle valley heading to Weymouth from Dorchester you need a new map/sat nav! All east of Dorchester not south.

Err yes, I should know as I live in Winterborne Kingston, but I did put Dorchester/Weymouth, not Dorchester-Weymouth, or anything north, west, east or south.

And my wife jokingly accuses ME of having an attention problem ????:sungum:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

A screen grab from a 1967 Diana Rigg episode of 'The Avengers'.... filmed in Aldbury near Tring, but I I wish it was a real place name...!

Aldbury Herts.jpg

I took a friend of mine who is an Avengers fan (she also likes village pubs) there a few years ago. 

If you know the Murdersville episode you'll probably enjoy visiting the village and its pubs when we're able to do such things again. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/03/2020 at 17:13, Gwiwer said:

Now more important than its origin in nearby Abinger (sometime Abinger Common).  "Hammer" arose because the local blacksmith's shop was located here.  

Ironically places in Cornwall with "Shop" in the name never have a shop.  Chipshop has been mentioned above.  Congdon's Shop and Barkla Shop are others.  They once were isolated shops at the meeting of roads from nearby villages.  Now they are a handful of homes around the same crossroads but the shops have long since closed down.  

That's Interesting Rick

I was only aware of Chipshop but probably because the name stuck in my mind.

According to Wiki, Barkla Shop got its name from a blacksmith's shop rather than a store but there must be an interesting social history of isolated rural shops outside established villages. It seems that Chipshop itself never did have a shop as such*  but just the Chipshop Inn (now the Copper Penny Inn) This might suggest that, in the days when the metal mines brought more people into these rural areas,   the  Inns also became places where you could buy goods (with your mine chips) as well as food and drink. Was that true of other such crossroad hamlets in that part of the world? I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the agriculural population had always bought what they needed on market day in towns like Tavistock and Liskeard.

*The Copper Penny Inn does now have a farmshop but that's more recent; unfortunately the Inn itself currently has a food hygiene rating of 1 based on a 2018 inspection, one of only three premises in the Tavistock (PL19) area with a rating lower than 3

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There's quite a few places named after pubs and inns such as Craven Arms.

Indeed. Indian Queens has already been mentioned. Quite near here is a hamlet called Trumpet after the pub of that name. A rather spectacular building that looks like an illustration from a children's fairytale. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I took a friend of mine who is an Avengers fan (she also likes village pubs) there a few years ago. 

If you know the Murdersville episode you'll probably enjoy visiting the village and its pubs when we're able to do such things again. 

Yes I know that episode too David, another gem from the Diana Rigg colour series. I found myself driving through Aldbury by accident one night in a staff van on the way to relieve a mate on a ballast job at Cheddington. As I looked passed through the village I thought ''I know this place...!". Must get down there again sometime in one of the Minis... ;).

I tell you what, some of these places we're talking about would make great names for layouts, wit ha few changes here and there...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

I tell you what, some of these places we're talking about would make great names for layouts, wit ha few changes here and there...

Back in the 80's there was a Railway of the Month in the Modeller called Nempnett Thrubwell which is village in N Somerset that, as far as I know, never had a railway.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1