The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Exotic place names in the UK

PhilJ W

4 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Chapel-en-le-Frith conjures up images of the French Riviera more than the Peak District. Ashby-de-la-Zouch sounds like it half belongs in France too (leaving the Ashby foot firmly in England though).

I don't think the French would come up with a name like 'Frith'; I regularly watch French colleagues struggle to pronounce 'Froth' and similar words. Someone did explain the 'le and'la' found in quite a few place names; I believe it was Scandinavian.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The real one was in Stoke, where Kerr-Stuart had their works.

In Ayrshire, there is a village called Patna, whilst Co. Durham has Philidelphia and Washington.

No Philadelphia is near Bath.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If we’re having street names, you’ll go a long way before you trump Swansea’s Salubrious Passage.  I should mention the only place in the UK with an exclamation mark in it’s name, Devon again; Westward Ho!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Not so much exotic as odd, Blubberhouses and Wetwang in Yorkshire.

And of course Nob End near Bolton.

Going down that path there's Great Cockup in the Lake District.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Of course many famous foreign places were probably named after the less famous places in Europe by settlers as a reminder of their original homeland.

Agreed - especially in Australia and the US. Perth is an obvious one, and it's suburbs include Guildford, High Wycombe, Scarborough, Maida Vale and Hazlemere (sic)...

• Like 2

Pidley Fenton in Cambridgeshire.

(there is 3 letter word beginning with C, has a U in the middle and ends with an M, between the 2 words)

Edited by stewartingram
Cannot insert the 3 letter word between the other 2 !
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Agreed - especially in Australia and the US. Perth is an obvious one, and it's suburbs include Guildford, High Wycombe, Scarborough, Maida Vale and Hazlemere (sic)...

My aunt moved from Hawarden (Flintshire) to Australia: the street she moved to was named after Mostyn (also Flintshire.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Of course many famous foreign places were probably named after the less famous places in Europe by settlers as a reminder of their original homeland.

That insignificant place on the eastern seaboard of the USA called Boston comes to mind, nowhere near as important as Boston in Lincolnshire, of course!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Pidley Fenton in Cambridgeshire.

(there is 3 letter word beginning with C, has a U in the middle and ends with an M, between the 2 words)

And Chorlton --- Hardy

• Like 1