The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Exotic place names in the UK

PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

There's a street in Kirriemuir called The Moon.  I've no idea why it's called that but I suspect that when people who live there place telephone orders they may have some difficulty persuading the vendor to deliver to, say, 3 The Moon.

DT

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

11 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Then there's the Slaughters, Upper and Lower!

Brian.

Not that far from P*ss Hill...!

Just a few miles outside Rugby is a little place called Mancetta, it sounds like it should be somewhere much more exotic than deepest Warwickshire. Round here, anything starting or ending in Magna, Parva or Toft is considered right posh (I was born in Harborough Magna, but I'm far from posh).

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's yet another California in Norfolk, Ireland is in Central Bedfordshire (yes, all of it!) and not far away is Wibbly Wobbly Lane...

Not forgetting the many Bottoms to be found in the Chilterns; Hogspit Bottom springs to mind for some reason!

Ooh nearly forgot! One for all diesel fans... Claggy Road, in Kimpton, Herts.

I wonder how long before that appears as the name of a TMD...

Edited by Nickey Line
Added Claggy Road...
  • Like 5

Talking of Bedfordshire, I often have to drive the Freighliner staff vans to and from our longer jobs and pass through a little village on the A6 called Milton Ernest, it sounds like the name of a novel written by someone like Oscar Wilde.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

Exotic place names ?

There's sod (h)all in Little Hulton

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=18&lat=53.53661&lon=-2.41652&layers=168&b=1

And I'm glad I wasn't born here - just a couple of miles north

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.55701&lon=-2.37459&layers=168&b=1

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Exotic place names ?

... And I'm glad I wasn't born here - just a couple of miles north

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.55701&lon=-2.37459&layers=168&b=1

... And wasn’t there a 1960s pop singer called Little Lever ?

(Scroll on a wee bit NE from Nob End)

:dance_mini:

dh

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

8 minutes ago, runs as required said:

... And wasn’t there a 1960s pop singer called Little Lever ?

Curiously, Little Eva (Eva Boyd) got her break by being baby sitter for Carole King and Gerry Goffin. They wrote "The Loco-Motion" together but Dee Dee Sharp passed on it.

Wikipedia:

King and Goffin wrote "The Loco-Motion" in hopes to have it recorded by Dee Dee Sharp, who had a smash hit with "Mashed Potato Time". Sharp passed on the song leaving the opportunity open for Eva Boyd, who had recorded the demo.

Boyd's version was released, and her name was changed to Little Eva. Boyd was actually Carole King's babysitter, having been introduced to King and King's husband Gerry Goffin by The Cookies, a local girl group who would also record for the songwriters.

• Agree 3

Aye true, we called our first cat Loco cos’ she came from Littlle Lever.

Sadly she ran away to sea on a Kelly boat from Herculaneum L’pool, once our firstborn arrived back from Maternity hospital to Grafton St in the Dingle in 1964.

We still mourn her.:this:

dh

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

And in the garden of England, Pratt's Bottom.

The Orpington Model Railway Club's exhibition is held in Pratts Bottom Village Hall.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

There's yet another California in Norfolk, Ireland is in Central Bedfordshire (yes, all of it!) and not far away is Wibbly Wobbly Lane...

Not forgetting the many Bottoms to be found in the Chilterns; Hogspit Bottom springs to mind for some reason!

Ooh nearly forgot! One for all diesel fans... Claggy Road, in Kimpton, Herts.

I wonder how long before that appears as the name of a TMD...

I had the misfortune to follow my SatNav down Wibbly Wobbly Lane not many weeks back.

I should have realised, but had already made the turn.

Still, it is nicer than Fancy Farm, in Greenock. Not Fancy, and not a farm.

Regards

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There is a Montserrat Road in Bolton, supposedly named after a Spanish monastery.

There is also a road called Main Sprit Weind in Preston.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Moxy said:

There is a Montserrat Road in Bolton, supposedly named after a Spanish monastery.

There is also a road called Main Sprit Weind in Preston.

Montserrat, a short distance from Barcelona, is one of the most spectacular sites in Europe. Seems strange though to name a street in Bolton after it unless on an estate where all the street names are monastery-related.

PS: Seems a bit unlikely. Are other nearby roads named after Caribbean islands?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

There is a part of the Wirral near Bromborough called Magazine. Named after an ammunition store rather than the printed type.

...the explosives were actually stored on a hulked ex-RN Gunboat (1868). My Grandparents lived in the village, and my Grandfather was foreman in charge of the hulk (called 'Swallow'). A lot of locals don't even know it was ever there - the village was demolished in 1969.

While I'm here, I'd like to nominate my own village, Offord D'arcy, as a principal character in a Jane Austen novel...

Edited by billy_anorak59
Nomination
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

copied from the Wacky signs thread.  Taken when the prototype TR2 went round the country for members to drive, not everyday you get to drive a 70 year old car.

The name may relate to the burning of Moscow in 1812.

P5050102.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, billy_anorak59 said:

While I'm here, I'd like to nominate my own village, Offord D'arcy, as a principal character in a Jane Austen novel...

As in "She Offord her honour, he honoured her offer, and all night long he was on her and off her."

ISTR the actor Colin Firth rose to fame after playing the D'Arcy role on the Beeb.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

14 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Not that far from P*ss Hill...!

Just a few miles outside Rugby is a little place called Mancetta, it sounds like it should be somewhere much more exotic than deepest Warwickshire. Round here, anything starting or ending in Magna, Parva or Toft is considered right posh (I was born in Harborough Magna, but I'm far from posh).

Pishill if you please!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1