The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Exotic place names in the UK

PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I'm a little unclear as to which of the two is the cartoon character..... 

The funny one, of course...

I have to say that there's something of Lord Snooty in Rees-Mogg as well.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I was once told by a Landore driver who may have been having me on that The Mumbles in Swansea got it's/their name from the respectable types who moved there in Victorian times discovering that the Welsh name, Y Bronydd, meant 'The Breasts', which makes sense when you look at Mumble Head from the other side of the bay.  In embarrassment, they mumbled the name when anyone asked where they lived.  According to the bilingual road signs, Welsh for The Mumbles is 'Y Mwmbls', which is simply Mumbles pronounced phonetically in Welsh.  

As I say, he may have been having me on but I sort of hope he wasn't; it's the sort of thing I'd like to be true.

The explanation normally given  was that the name derived from the French; I rather like the idea of the Cracach  being obliged to mumble, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I’d believe anything of a town with a Salubrious Passage!

In contrast, Reading has its Smelly Alley - more properly Union Street. Alas with the closure of various traditional food shops it has lost much of its savour.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Ashton in Makerfield just south of Wigan has a "Squeeze belly entry" - a narrow gap between shops.

Brit15

Port Isaac - more commonly known to the tv viewer as Port Wenn - also has such a name. Squeezy-Belly Alley. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Walcott north Norfolk, has Bloodslat lane,  many think it's named after a battle where they fought up to their ankles in blood.. 

But there's no record of a battle in the area.. 

It's not that far from Happisburgh pronounced haisbrough. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not too far from. here we have Assendon including Lower Assendon.   And I've often wondered how that might have been pronounced in times past.  Before you get there heading north westwards you pass a pub called The Golden Ball which the locals know by another name.  And once you've passed the Assendons you come to Pishill - which has two pronunciations and in the not too distant past the one you used could well be indicative of your social class (or what you wished to convey to others as your class):  it is incidentally nowadays the site of quite extensive vineyards.

Not to be confused with Assundun in Essex, the site of the battle between the armies of Edmund Ironside, King of England, and Canute The Great, who wanted to be king ( and won) in 1016.:sungum:  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

........ I'm rather fond of the Wallops in Hampshire. Over Wallop, Middle Wallop and especially Nether Wallop.

Middle Wallop is probably the only place in Britain you can get your chopper out in public and not get arrested for it.

(look it up if you don’t “get it”)

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Not so much exotic or interesting in a funny way but a very small namesake of something larger and foreign, on the A46 ‘twixt Bath and the M4, a cluster of cottages and a petrol station that is Pennsylvania.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Whirley Grove, Dale Brow, Mode Hill, Danes Moss, Rainow, Pott Shrigley and Moss Rose are all local areas, villages, districts or hamlets in or within a few miles of Macclesfield in east Cheshire.

Not far away are Nether Alderley, Over Alderley and Alderley Edge ( very posh).

To the SE and up and between the hills are Wildboarclough, Wincle, Burntcliff Top and Gladbach.

Talking of Pishill near Henley-on-Thames, reminds me of Leek in Staffs.

The Macclesfield to Leek A523 road takes you past Bosley, Rushton Spencer and Rudyard, of Rudyard Lake fame.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

3 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Whirley Grove, Dale Brow, Mode Hill, Danes Moss, Rainow, Pott Shrigley and Moss Rose are all local areas, villages, districts or hamlets in or within a few miles of Macclesfield in east Cheshire.

Not far away are Nether Alderley, Over Alderley and Alderley Edge ( very posh).

To the SE and up and between the hills are Wildboarclough, Wincle, Burntcliff Top and Gladbach.

Talking of Pishill near Henley-on-Thames, reminds me of Leek in Staffs.

The Macclesfield to Leek A523 road takes you past Bosley, Rushton Spencer and Rudyard, of Rudyard Lake fame.

You forgot Fool's Nook. In some ways, the A523 is a great road.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 09/03/2020 at 13:40, DIW said:

We have various worldly locations in the rural parts of Hampshire - Canada, Palestine and Egypt, plus some towns with derived names; Enham Alamein and Waterlooville.

I have been to Egypt in Slough and was told it's name gives origin to the word Gypsy

Wikipedia seems to support this fact (no I did not edit it!)

My own favourite is wibbly wobbly lane in Befordshire but I am sad to hear it has been renamed

1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Dunno about exotic, but near me is the small town of Ramsey, along with Ramsey Heights, Ramsey St.Marys, Ramsey Forty Foot, Ramsey Mereside, Ramsey Hollow.....have I missed any?

Stewart

And the 'Seven Burnhams by the sea' in Norfolk - Burnham Deepdale, Burnham Norton, Burnham Overy, Burnham Sutton, Burnham Thorpe, Burnham Ulph and Burnham Westgate. Three of them have now been merged into a single village - Burnham Market.

Edited by pH
  • Like 2

Around Southampton Water and the Solent, we have....

Hamble-le-Rice  (locally just referred to as Hamble),

Debden Purlieu,

Beaulieu,

Lee-on-the-Solent,

Warsash,

Pooksgreen  (one word)

and No Man’s Land (a sea fort).

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, letterspider said:

I have been to Egypt in Slough and was told it's name gives origin to the word Gypsy

Wikipedia seems to support this fact (no I did not edit it!)

My own favourite is wibbly wobbly lane in Befordshire but I am sad to hear it has been renamed

Sort of... the nameboard reads 'Carter's Lane, formerly known as Wibbly Wobbly Lane'

Happened to go down it today, a not unusual occurrence.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bike2steam said:

Not to be confused with Assundun in Essex, the site of the battle between the armies of Edmund Ironside, King of England, and Canute The Great, who wanted to be king ( and won) in 1016.:sungum:  

Its spelt Assenden with e's instead of u's, the one in Essex that is. You won't find any evidence of the battle, the site became a gravel pit and later a rubbish tip.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Middle Wallop is probably the only place in Britain you can get your chopper out in public and not get arrested for it.

Perhaps someone did in Lewes and got locked up for it - or perhaps there is another derivation of Cockshut Road.

Living Coleford, Somt., we were next to Leigh-on-Mendip which was pronounced Lie on Mendip.

• Like 1