Documents relating to 1960-2 WR Freight workings

Tallpaul69

Hi All,

Does anyone  know of an equivalent resource for Freight traffic or engine workings to Robert Carroll's brilliant Coach working documents, apart from the likes of Didcot Railway Museum, NRM,or National Records Kew etc.?

I am looking to enhance my information on Freight and Engine workings between Slough and Reading in the period 1960-62.

I have Freight WTTS for winter 1954 and Summer 1961 and partial Engine workings for Southall and OOC but still would like more detail.

In particular I need Freight Train Marshalling booklets, which I have not yet found any.

Please PM me if you have anything you are willing to sell or photocopy (I will pay reasonable costs and postage)

Some books do come up on Ebay, but are expensive!

Many thanks

Paul 

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Pobrien said:

Hi

There is a copy of London Area freight WTT Sept 1960-June 1961 in

michaelclemensrailways.co.uk

Patrick

Many Thanks,

I am aware of this resource, but unfortunately the detail I am looking for is not given in the WTTs

What I really need is the Fright Train Marshalling Books.

Cheers

Paul 

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Many Thanks,

I am aware of this resource, but unfortunately the detail I am looking for is not given in the WTTs

What I really need is the Fright Train Marshalling Books.

Cheers

Paul 

Marshalling Books are exceedingly difficult things to run to earth.  i have only come across a couple in over 10 years of looking (neither would be any use to you, sorry).

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Marshalling Books are exceedingly difficult things to run to earth.  i have only come across a couple in over 10 years of looking (neither would be any use to you, sorry).

Thanks Mike,

Yes I agree, I have managed to get a copy of one thanks to Brian Mc Dermott, which helps with some of the trains , but there is still more info to track down!

Regards

Paul  

3 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Wasn't that an Arthur Askey film?

Aye thenk ewe!

Now who is showing their age??

But don't give the BBC ideas, they are looking for ways to fill the void left by all sport being cancelled!

Still we are probably safe as all the producers and decision makers will unfortunately be far too young to know what you are talking about, and will inflict on everyone more awful channel 3 rubbish and then use that as an excuse to bring back channel 3 and cancel channel 4!!

Happy days?

Paul

Paul

I have:

"British Railways (Western Operating Area) Marshalling Instructions for Inter District Freight Trains, Section A, For trains starting from stations in the London District" circa 1951.

I suspect this might be what you have from Brian McDermott though?

Also GWR versions for 1936, 1939 and 1946.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Thanks Mike,

Yes I agree, I have managed to get a copy of one thanks to Brian Mc Dermott, which helps with some of the trains , but there is still more info to track down!

Regards

Paul  

You would also need a London Division Trip Booklet in order to get total coverage.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Paul

I have:

"British Railways (Western Operating Area) Marshalling Instructions for Inter District Freight Trains, Section A, For trains starting from stations in the London District" circa 1951.

I suspect this might be what you have from Brian McDermott though?

Also GWR versions for 1936, 1939 and 1946.

Nick,

What I have from Brian is "British Railways (Western Operating Area) Marshaling instructions for Principal Local Freight Trains -London District" for 1956.

it is subtitled :- Formations of Feeding and certain connecting services to the inter district freight trains shewn in Marshalling Instructions Sections A,B,C, and D.

So your 1951 item is another piece in the puzzle!

I would appreciate a copy or if you have it electronically a file of it.

So may I PM you, and we can sort out the mechanics of this?

Many thanks

Paul

42 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Nick,

What I have from Brian is "British Railways (Western Operating Area) Marshaling instructions for Principal Local Freight Trains -London District" for 1956.

it is subtitled :- Formations of Feeding and certain connecting services to the inter district freight trains shewn in Marshalling Instructions Sections A,B,C, and D.

Many thanks

Paul

PDF e-mailed to you.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Nick,

Many thanks

Paul

The thing about the Inter-District Marshalling Books is that you need all of them because they were arranged on the basis of the District in which trains started (in some cases several Divisions/Districts were covered in one publication).

Section A covered trains starting in the London Division/District plus London and Northern (via Didcot) trains starting from Swindon.  Section B covered trains starting in the Plymouth, Exeter, and Bristol Divisions/Districts except those starting from Swindon which were covered in Section A.    I don't know the detail of the areas covered by Sections C & D.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The thing about the Inter-District Marshalling Books is that you need all of them because they were arranged on the basis of the District in which trains started (in some cases several Divisions/Districts were covered in one publication).

Section A covered trains starting in the London Division/District plus London and Northern (via Didcot) trains starting from Swindon.  Section B covered trains starting in the Plymouth, Exeter, and Bristol Divisions/Districts except those starting from Swindon which were covered in Section A.    I don't know the detail of the areas covered by Sections C & D.

Agreed Mike,

I suspect, but don't know that section C might have covered "Wales" and  section D "The Midlands , Birkenhead etc"?

Thinking about it, my suggestion above for section D covers a wide area, but there only appears to be the four sections!

It will take me a while to extract relevant details from the two documents I have and then relate it to my WTT, so I will hope that eventually I get hold of the remaining three sections!

Cheers All,

Paul

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Agreed Mike,

I suspect, but don't know that section C might have covered "Wales" and  section D "The Midlands , Birkenhead etc"?

Thinking about it, my suggestion above for section D covers a wide area, but there only appears to be the four sections!

It will take me a while to extract relevant details from the two documents I have and then relate it to my WTT, so I will hope that eventually I get hold of the remaining three sections!

Cheers All,

Paul

As far as I know Paul there were just the 4 Sections one covering probably Gloucester and  South Wales and the other covering 'Northern' plus possibly North Wales (just where Mid Wales landed is a moot point!!).  If anybody has access to any of them I'd love to here more about the areas they cover.

• Agree 1

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 01:39, Banger Blue said:

Although it’s 1966, is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

37CE86B6-58DD-4AC0-8AB9-1A844A1C5681.jpeg.0a6bbeb9448029fad138eb80b6f81798.jpeg

Yes Dougie, that looks to be a later version of the books that I have seen.

What area of the western region does this cover?

Early versions were split into four sections (A-D) plus other versions for local freights with in the four sections.

You need all four sections for a complete picture because Section A covers trains starting in the London Division and out as far as Swindon and Oxford, but not for instance the trains starting at Penzance for the London area for which you need section B

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Yes Dougie, that looks to be a later version of the books that I have seen.

What area of the western region does this cover?

Early versions were split into four sections (A-D) plus other versions for local freights with in the four sections.

You need all four sections for a complete picture because Section A covers trains starting in the London Division and out as far as Swindon and Oxford, but not for instance the trains starting at Penzance for the London area for which you need section B

Cheers

Paul

That's the whole Region but it will exclude local trips unless they were important connections into/out of longer distance trains.

17 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

That's the whole Region but it will exclude local trips unless they were important connections into/out of longer distance trains.

Hi,

Do you have the document electronically, or are you able to copy it?

I would be interested in getting a copy?

Please PM me on this?

Many thanks

Paul

Just now, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi,

Do you have the document electronically, or are you able to copy it?

I would be interested in getting a copy?

Please PM me on this?

Many thanks

Paul

Sorry Mike,

I should have directed this to Dougie!!

Regards

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1