4mm scale chain link fencing/gates

I an looking for a source of chain link fencing and gates which is the "old" type and not the modern security fencing. I have so far not been able to find anything. Does anybody make it?

Stu

Hello @eastworld,

Is this the sort of thing you meant, (the photo is much greater than lifesize):

P1010420.JPG.76efbdf4818b0f15169a5f159440b465.JPG

If it is, then it's Tulle, or netting, used to make tutus (probably cheap 'lace' curtains too). You used to be able to buy it by the yard in fabric shops (do they still exist?). You can buy it in nylon and polyester (probably other spun materials as well) and in many different colours.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Similar, but I wondered if there was anything commercially produced. I also want gates which often have a tubular frame with rounded corners. This will not have the barbed wire along the top, and hence the top will be straight.

Stu

Edited by eastworld

Just to clarify what I did in the photo if anyone is interested - the effect was intended to be a piece of unloved chain-link fence. The concrete posts are matchsticks cut to size with pieces placed at an angle and just washed over in at attempt to recreate concrete that has been covered in moss/lichen. The supporting wires and the barbed wire are pieces of bent copper wire from household flex painted in a rusty colour and the netting loosely glued and painted similarly. The barbed wire was a fluke - lumpy paint!

Cheers,

Philip

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/03/2020 at 17:34, eastworld said:

Similar, but I wondered if there was anything commercially produced. I also want gates which often have a tubular frame with rounded corners. This will not have the barbed wire along the top, and hence the top will be straight.

Stu

20191118_212426.jpg.2a4120aaaf5b6862b248c56585620bfb.jpg

You could always build your own?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm sure the gates could be fabricated out of some 1.5mm² copper wire, straightened and bent appropriately with a dab of solder to hold it together - or even some Woodland Scenics (other makes available) round profile plastic.

The concrete posts can be done easily with matchsticks (straight or cranked-top) IF the precise profile matters not - though I must say, those of @Enterprisingwestern do look the part - just need toning down.

I stuck the retaining wire to the outside of the posts and then the netting over that again. I didn't have my pin-vice and fine drills at the time. I'm not sure if could drill through very many posts without going doolally :blink:.

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold

I don't have pictures, but the gates have since been chemically blackened and I have made a start on various options of weathering the posts, they are Precision new concrete in the pic, I overpainted one in weathered concrete but it came out a bit too grey IMHO, so when I get back home further trials will continue.

Mike.

When I was faced with the same problem, I was unable to find the range evident in Andrew575s links (the Busch one would have suited me) but I bought a sheet of Isopon mesh used for car body repairs and am making my own (see example in the attached picture ).  The posts are spent matchsticks.  The benefit of the mesh is that it can be cut with scissors to one's own size (ie femce height).  It is a bit sharp so care is needed but I was able to fold over the edge easily with pliers to create a smooth top.  The mesh needs to be spray painted with a primer (I used a car body primer spray can) before painting with the desired finish.  For glue, I used Deluxe materials Roket card Glue.  One benefit of the mesh is that it it distorts easily when the fence is required on a gradient - I don't know whether this applies to the proprietary versions.

Harold.833918620_Fencing3.jpg.3a11d561baf41554437291e2d8219513.jpg

To my mind, the gauge of the mesh looks far to heavy on some of these (e.g. the Busch one). I think the Woodland Scenics ones looks okay, so will probably go with that.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

https://www.scalelinkfretcetera.co.uk/product-category/frets/meshes-various-shapes-and-sizes-any-scale/

Various etched meshes which could be used - just add posts and frame for the gates.

or this;

https://www.howardscenicsupplies.co.uk/ancorton-models-security-fencing-with-barb-wire-top-laser-cut-00/ and remove the barbed wire extensions.

Ian

Edited by ianLMS