Cherry Tree Sidings

maltins0

Hi Just started In 7mm (o gauge) after years of dabbling and getting nowhere with 4mm (oo gauge) and it all started by accidentally coming across (Warspite's) Minimum space O gauge Layout from way back in dec 2011 I shall build a layout similar to that but (hopefully not Too alike) Only Purchased a few Dapol wagons and an 08 at Moment but managed to sound chip 08 ok with Youchoos sound file and brill it is too and I have just started to weather the wagons put some pics of first wagon attacked lol 16t mineral (Actually a Lionheart one) first pics of either sides show where I scribed some damage lines then the rest of pics show different stages of painting treating or (attacking) lol hope you like end results I feel pretty chuffed with them cheers Malc

IMG_4365.jpg

IMG_4385.jpg

IMG_4366.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

Edited by maltins0
  • Like 14

Thank you Chris :)

Oh Chris I've Just Researched Cwm Bach wow what a compliment for you to say " You'd be happy to run these on Cwm Bach" Thank You I really appreciate that

Regards Malc

Edited by maltins0
misspelling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi WM183 , I am lucky as years ago on Ebay I bought a product called (Real rust) and basically it is rust scraped off rusty metal and ground to a powder, to apply I paint the area to be rusted with paint then sprinkle the powder on once fully dry tap to remove the loose powder then spray the area with white vinegar and wait until it dries a nice rusty area the rust on buffers wheels undercarriage is just Humbrol Enamel wash rust colour over grime paint Cheers Malc

Edited by maltins0
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, WM183 said:

That weathering is really well done.  How did you make the rusty bits so rough looking?

Hi WM183 I just found this on Ebay Uk #253365887957 and I reckon the left hand bottle (binder) will be either rust coloured paint or glue the next bottle (rust powder) will be what I got years ago and the third bottle (developer) is probably vinegar and THEY WANT £19.90 gbp I'm sure I paid around £3.00 for the powder

Regards Malc

Edited by maltins0
mispelt
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, maltins0 said:

Thank you Chris :)

Oh Chris I've Just Researched Cwm Bach wow what a compliment for you to say " You'd be happy to run these on Cwm Bach" Thank You I really appreciate that

Regards Malc

You're welcome, Malc. I may revisit the rust on some of the most corroded 16 Tonners to add a little more texture.

Regards,

Chris K

• Like 1

On 10/03/2020 at 00:00, maltins0 said:

Hi Just started In 7mm (o gauge) after years of dabbling and getting nowhere with 4mm (oo gauge)

I'm intrigued.

If you got nowhere with the most widely supported commercial gauge, what made you feel you would have more success with O gauge?

I have lots of OO & wanted to try something bigger. I was also intrigued by the idea of going true scale with P4. Both O & P4 lend themselves to minimal quantity, high quality modelling so I decided Scale7 combined the benefits (or difficulties) of both.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One of the great things about Finescale 0, which is default for all the commercial offerings, is that  the track gauge (32mm) is close to the prototype.  It scales to 4' 6", about the same as EM in 4mm.  This suits me.  For me, there are enough jobs to do building a layout without having to source and replace wheelsets.  However, people have various goals in the hobby so go for S7 if you are so inclined.

Another thing I like is the ability to use prototypical couplings; 3 link, instanter and screw link.  I can actually couple and uncouple with relative ease using a home made tool.  30 years of bodging Kadee couplings in 00 was a trial. 

Before getting too far in the scale, there are decisions to be made.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I'm intrigued.

If you got nowhere with the most widely supported commercial gauge, what made you feel you would have more success with O gauge?

I have lots of OO & wanted to try something bigger. I was also intrigued by the idea of going true scale with P4. Both O & P4 lend themselves to minimal quantity, high quality modelling so I decided Scale7 combined the benefits (or difficulties) of both.

Hello Pete, When I said I got nowhere I actually meant I never got a layout to scenic stage let alone finished hence why I said that lol

• Like 1

Just a couple pics of how B768101 is coming along it is at the stage where the (Real Rust) has been applied to the body in certain areas but not been subjected to the vinegar treatment yet then it needs undercarriage weathering, roof weathering then chalk lettering

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

Edited by maltins0
error in wording
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

9 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I'm intrigued.

It is the sheer physicality of size and weight  7mm that intrigues me,  a simple wagon  is so satifying to hold or to examine. Not a great deal in cost between 4mm and 7mm for wagon stock these days,  a Dapol van @ £42,  is the same length as 2 Bachmann examples in 4mm @ £18 each

ps, I am not decrying 4mm,  I am trying to convey  the  pleasure I gain from 7mm

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, Pandora said:

It is the sheer physicality of size and weight  7mm that intrigues me,  a simple wagon  is so satifying to hold or to examine.

Totally agree with you both about the weight/size and comparable price nowadays

3 hours ago, Joner said:

Will be "rustin" your 08 too or covering it in grime?

Hi Joner thank you , I've not made up my mind about the 08 yet ,I will probably give it light rusting and some grime , Plywood van is next one to do but thats only getting a light weathering (I think) lol, here it is with 08

IMG_3997.jpg

• Like 2

I'm delighted it was my 'Minimum Space Layout' from 2011 (!) that got you started in 7mm. I was inspired (and continue to be) by some of the superb 7mm modellers on here.

Your weathering is very convincing and I just love what you have done to the planked van. The corrosion on both the van and the 16T mineral wagon is particularly effective. Keep up the great work. Any thoughts on a layout plan yet?

Stephen

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/03/2020 at 08:02, Warspite said:

I'm delighted it was my 'Minimum Space Layout' from 2011 (!) that got you started in 7mm. I was inspired (and continue to be) by some of the superb 7mm modellers on here.

Your weathering is very convincing and I just love what you have done to the planked van. The corrosion on both the van and the 16T mineral wagon is particularly effective. Keep up the great work. Any thoughts on a layout plan yet?

Stephen

He is not alone - your layout was also the catalyst for my jump to 7mm.  Seeing a small, well detailed layout like you created was a huge inspiration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/03/2020 at 12:02, Warspite said:

Any thoughts on a layout plan yet?

Hi Stephen, Pleased to be chatting with you lol and thanks for the compliments, When I saw your layout I was just amazed at how uncluttered it looked and thats what I'm aiming to achieve a small (prob 9 feet length) yard layout but def uncluttered and if I can build any stone buildings half as good as what you did I will be chuffed

Regards Malc

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was born in the fifties, (in a small Railway induced village called Hexthorpe most of the terraced housing was built by the railways for the workers in the plant as it was known)

and grew up watching all the railway activities all around , at the bottom end of hexthorpe there was a shunting yard area called cherry tree sidings (so thats what My layout will probably be called !)

It served a cold stores a timber merchants called allen & orr, and had a spur into the

Co-operative where I would go with sack trucks and get a sack of coal for Dad, and the

men shovelled it into the sack right beside the 16t mineral wagon that had had its flap door

opened to create a pile on the floor. Memories ! Good but Hard Times Loved the 60s/70s 

Edited by maltins0
tidying up
  • Like 2