Cherry Tree Sidings

maltins0

That's a good looking wagon.  One of my first wagons was a Dapol PO.  It was Dapol's own design and was pretty awful.  I rebuilt it below the solebars with Bill Bedford sprung W irons and brake gear.  A lot of extra expense and effort.  The wagon meets my standards now.

I think the one you picture borrows from Lionheart and is a big improvement over what I call Gen. 1 Dapol wagons.

Did you add the coal load?

I don't get your reference to mounting board.

John

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brossard said:

Did you add the coal load?

I don't get your reference to mounting board.

John

Hi John I did add the resin coal load , it is now on Ebay for sale lol, The 1.5mm mounting board is cut and placed between and around the 3mm deep sleepers so as to use less ballast once I start ballasting making the gaps only 1.5mm deep instead of 3mm deep if you see what I mean

Ah, OK, I made coal loads for my wagons.

I see what you mean about the board, it never occurred to me to do that.  I'm still doing battle getting my single slip to work, so a little way off ballast.

John

• Like 1

I hope you sort it John , The wagon sold two minutes after I wrote to you it was on eBay ! , 

Ive still quite a bit of card to cut and a couple of other bits and pieces to do before I can start ballasting too cheers Malc

A point of order regarding PO wagons.  These are very attractive items but... after nationalization, in the mid 50s I think, BR embarked on a modernization program that involved purging unfitted 9' WB wagons in favour of fitted 10' WB.

By this time PO mineral wagons were in dire shape.  BR had 100s of thousands of steel minerals built during the 50s and as these came on line, the wooden bodied wagons were relegated to the breakers.  I note you have a blue 08 which dates your era to the mid 60s at the earliest. 

My point is that to be authentic, your wooden PO wagon fleet should not be large (I have 3 weathered to a quite decrepit condition) with steel wagons being in the majority (I have 4, 2 ex LMS and 2 BR built).

As in all things pertaining to model railways, Rule 1 always applies.

John

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brossard said:

A point of order regarding PO wagons.  These are very attractive items but... after nationalization, in the mid 50s I think, BR embarked on a modernization program that involved purging unfitted 9' WB wagons in favour of fitted 10' WB.

By this time PO mineral wagons were in dire shape.  BR had 100s of thousands of steel minerals built during the 50s and as these came on line, the wooden bodied wagons were relegated to the breakers.  I note you have a blue 08 which dates your era to the mid 60s at the earliest. 

Hi John , Yes I had realised this hence why it went on ebay , I had already decided it did not fit with my blue era diesels Cheers Malc

I Have just managed to get a nice chap on Ebay make me some 3d printed plate girder bridge sides for our scale I asked him to make them 35mm being as its 7mm to the foot they should be a scale 5 foot high  I can't wait to see how good they are when I get them, the link to them on Ebay is 324211592553

plate girder.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maltins0 said:

I Have just managed to get a nice chap on Ebay make me some 3d printed plate girder bridge sides for our scale I asked him to make them 35mm being as its 7mm to the foot they should be a scale 5 foot high  I can't wait to see how good they are when I get them, the link to them on Ebay is 324211592553

plate girder.jpg

Now they could come in very useful. I have just ordered 4 to see if we can make use of them. There are two options so will see how we go. Thanks.

• Like 2

On 28/06/2020 at 07:02, D6775 said:

Now they could come in very useful. I have just ordered 4 to see if we can make use of them. There are two options so will see how we go. Thanks.

I Received mine today , and well pleased with them , I'm sure after butchering to what I need and painting and weathering they will do my bridge proud, I intend to build a bridge to block the sector plate which will replace the mock up in the pic 

IMG_4829.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, maltins0 said:

I Received mine today , and well pleased with them , I'm sure after butchering to what I need and painting and weathering they will do my bridge proud.

Mine arrived yesterday too. Should be back to the layout all being well next week so will have a play.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/03/2020 at 00:43, maltins0 said:

I was born in the fifties, (in a small Railway induced village called Hexthorpe most of the terraced housing was built by the railways for the workers in the plant as it was known)

and grew up watching all the railway activities all around , at the bottom end of hexthorpe there was a shunting yard area called cherry tree sidings (so thats what My layout will probably be called !)

It served a cold stores a timber merchants called allen & orr, and had a spur into the

Co-operative where I would go with sack trucks and get a sack of coal for Dad, and the

men shovelled it into the sack right beside the 16t mineral wagon that had had its flap door

opened to create a pile on the floor. Memories ! Good but Hard Times Loved the 60s/70s 

I was born in 1955, Balby, we may may have crossed paths! Did you spot from the  large contingent using wooden ramp to St James Bridge Station?

I used to watch shunting at the Hexthorpe Gulley as it was known to railwaymen, The Hexthorpe Gulley served several wagon works,  SE Stevens,, Stevens Road Balby ,  Lincoln Engine & Wagon next to Stone Close Ave Hexthrpe,  British Wagons Works Orchard St Balby  , Thomas Burnett nr Barnstone St Hexthorpe.  I recalkl Cherry Tree goods as a cattle dock which was taken over as a scrapyard,  there were two WW2 British Tanks   part-buried under all much llose scrap, and an industrial  tank loco Henry de Lacy  cut up in the Cherry tree sidings

On 11/08/2020 at 13:39, Pandora said:

I was born in 1955, Balby, we may may have crossed paths! Did you spot from the  large contingent using wooden ramp to St James Bridge Station?

Wow hello Pandora such a small world , Did you attend Balby Borstal as it was affectionally Known aka Oswin Ave ? Now that wooden ramp you mention was my second home lol if I wasn't on a platform with the required 1d platform ticket then I would be on the ramp somewhere .

I remember stevens of balby and Thomas Burnett's but don't remember Lincoln engine & wagon and how strange cos Grandad and Grandma lived almost at bottom of stone close ave can't remember number 100 and something,  there was a cattle dock but don't remember scrapyard there . I remember a scrap yard further up the sheffield line next to greenfield lane bridge 

On 13/08/2020 at 00:37, maltins0 said:

Wow hello Pandora such a small world , Did you attend Balby Borstal as it was affectionally Known aka Oswin Ave ? Now that wooden ramp you mention was my second home lol if I wasn't on a platform with the required 1d platform ticket then I would be on the ramp somewhere .

I remember stevens of balby and Thomas Burnett's but don't remember Lincoln engine & wagon and how strange cos Grandad and Grandma lived almost at bottom of stone close ave can't remember number 100 and something,  there was a cattle dock but don't remember scrapyard there . I remember a scrap yard further up the sheffield line next to greenfield lane bridge 

I did not attend Oswin Avenue, but I did know  enthusiast David Balderstone of the school  who followed his father onto the footplate at 36A.

I cannot find an image of the tanks in the scrapyard  at St James Bridge, but do these images ring any bells?

Henry de Lacy awaiting cuting up about 1969( it lastede only a week at the outside ) and the  sign for CherryTree Goods  to the left of the trolleybus climbing to St james Bridge4 ( or seven arches bridge as some prefer), in the Henry shot, the photographer would be standing on the platform of St James Bridge station, and for the trolleybus,  the photographers back would be close to the wooden ramp down to the same platform

HenrtdeLacyII.jpeg

CherryTreeGoodsStjamessBridge.jpeg

HenrydeLacy111.jpeg

Edited by Pandora

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/08/2020 at 20:05, Pandora said:

I did not attend Oswin Avenue, but I did know  enthusiast David Balderstone of the school  who followed his father onto the footplate at 36A.

I cannot find an image of the tanks in the scrapyard  at St James Bridge, but do these images ring any bells?

Henry de Lacy awaiting cuting up about 1969( it lastede only a week at the outside ) and the  sign for CherryTree Goods  to the left of the trolleybus climbing to St james Bridge4 ( or seven arches bridge as some prefer), in the Henry shot, the photographer would be standing on the platform of St James Bridge station, and for the trolleybus,  the photographers back would be close to the wooden ramp down to the same platform

HenrtdeLacyII.jpeg

CherryTreeGoodsStjamessBridge.jpeg

HenrydeLacy111.jpeg

Hi Pandora , Sorry for long time reply been a bit busy, Fabulous to see the pics showing Doncaster cold stores happy memories and the pic of trolleybus climbing up st james bridge well I could of been on that bus who knows eh fab pics Thanks