OO Gauge pre grouping liveries.

• RMweb Gold

OP was asking about pre-grouping locos, not big 4.  Plain black seemed to be more common after the outbreak of WW1, with many companies painting everything in full lined out liveries, sometimes with polished brass and copperwork as well.  Most locos in those days were allocated to regular drivers who took pride in their appearance; it was said that wives would be brought to sheds on weekends to apply Brasso to metalwork.  

This being the case, and this print being a freelance design unlike anything used by mainline companies, but somewhat reminiscent of the offspring of an illicit union between a Hunslet and a Bagnall, it's really a case of 'anything you like, really'.  The loco looks more to me like an industrial than a main line company loco; it is in some ways an odd design with a coal bunker on the fireman's side of the cab on the tank top like some narrow gauge locos.  The firebox seems disproportionally small for the boiler until you realise how much it protrudes into the cab, which is designed for a particularly skinny loco crew!  The large tanks would have meant it was an unsteady rider at more than the slowest of speeds, and I imagine it's use would have been restricted on running lines if it were a main line loco. An industrial, never far from base, doesn't need such big tanks.

• Agree 1

Are you sure a small industrial wouldn't have big tanks? So good the GWR bought some. Industrials would spend long periods idling and using up water. Coal was a much lower priority.

spacer.png

Can't find a credit as it's from Pinterest

Looks like another of the Cadbury tanks to me with the E2 style tanks, apart from the cab and boiler fittings are more modern on the Cadbury tank.

https://flickr.com/photos/cadburydairymilk/3417636997

Jason

• Agree 1