Earlswood Station (previously Ember Brewery)

Another update today, repainted part of the platform, can see me starting it in my last update in the last photo. That is now looking better. Painted a thin line of white along the edge, so can be seen easily in the dark by the labourers. Last night started painting the buffers starting with Revell Steel, washed with black then white so they can be seen. The two for the smaller sidings are now glued in place. The remaining one, I cut at little bit of the back as if it would be built in to the wall behind. Not glued yet as only painted the sides of the rails for the smaller sidings so far. Crane also given some more paint to correct errors after giving it a black wash on the main metal work. Lastly, the inside of the brewery is now fixed in place and barrels placed around the loading and unloading platforms.

SAM_4167.JPG

• Like 6

Thank you for all the support everyone has shown, I really appreciate it.

Worked a little on the layout before work, pulled out some of the lichen as it was turning white. Put new lichen in place of it and also put in a new tree, made from a dead branch I found walking to walk a couple days ago with lichen on top. Couple days ago I also covered the yard area with a fine grey ballast. Looks more like dust then ballast, looks great though. 

The rest of this morning was occupied with rewiring the layout and finding one of the wires to the point motors had cut itself. Is one of the green wires from a Peco set for wiring two points without solder. Repaired that and wired a bit more cleanly for the points. Next is for the LED's, and leave a connection area so I can wire more down to the entrance of the layout.

SAM_4184.JPG

SAM_4185.JPG

• Like 4

Another update on Ember Brewery.

A couple things to add to the second cottage, and plan to repaint the horses as they arrived not quite well painted.

SAM_4212.JPG.8de336a3d341428f4be4555c5063fea6.JPG

I also have the crates to paint and place on card to go inside wagons as wagons loads. Also, the locomotive is new, while great at slow running, is kind of jerk to get moving. simply tapping it or putting some coins in the cab helped it gain traction so know I need to find some way of weighing it for better traction. Looks more at home than my 87xx.

I plan to repaint my locos to a freelance company of my own devising which will be enjoyable for me.SAM_4213.JPG.97c368d3dd8e494c5cd65aeb61f11fd6.JPG

• Like 3

Have created a fenced of area with some wild overgrown grass and a small area that could be used by vehicles. Not sure what I might put there yet. Really happy with it. The remaining surface area, I have purchased some allotments and sheds. Once they arrive I will see how they fit in. 

Currently painting the horses and crates. Some of the crates are being connected so they can go in to wagons as loads. Talking about goods, awaiting delivery of a Horse box to add to the small amount of rolling stock I have.

Thank you all for your continued support, likes and comments.

SAM_4231.JPG

SAM_4230.JPG

SAM_4229.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Been a long time since I've given an update due to other hobbies and waiting for certain products to become available. Purchased some garden sheds and allotments which out of the 4 allotments I received, have only used one which I sawed in half very carefully. Painted these and cut out holes in the thin chipboard so they would fit snuggly in. Placed another tree by on of the sheds, this is not glued in so can be removed if desired. Then glued in the scatter, static grass and hedge, after which is secured with hair spray.

SAM_4682.JPG.fa9f527524c717820a952e5150fac65a.JPG

SAM_4683.JPG.39ef13db150f3f033d11f3a1e7a0bec8.JPG

Have a few minor projects in progress. Recently purchased two workman for the Brewery and some barrels from a really cool ebay seller. The barrels are all cleaned and then glued together. All they need now is a lick of paint. Many future plans include purchasing a name plate for the brewery, painting more crates for wagon loads on the yard, a couple more figures and a Gypsy wagon for the layout too. Would love to find some gardening tools for the allotments.

SAM_4686.JPG.b810656aa070af34e59b61c9c3a92d36.JPG

As been operating it differently from originally, I have gone to a random dice generated system for what would arrive or depart on the layout. Has gone through a couple editions, as the first systems often ended with 3 wagons or vans, despite allowances to make it 1-3 wagons. My newest one often means only two show up, while reducing the chances of multiply Vans appearing on a consist. Thus allowing more wagons to appear. For rolling stock, have now 2 box vans, horse box, 3 7 planks and 2 5 planks. Think a couple more wagons will not go amiss and debating on using a guards van/brake van.

Hope you all enjoy my latest update and value any feedback or suggestions you have.

Nathaniel

• Like 5

Following on from Saturday, worked on my layout yesterday and painted the two projects I planned to work on. Here are the Labourers waiting for the next train to come in.SAM_4705.JPG.db6c1dc830002a36d03243360412c9a9.JPGSAM_4706.JPG.dd00ab505b7818dc1fce645900074114.JPGSAM_4709.JPG.fa664f48ed49c3fdd1088b7bebbc06f1.JPG

I will photo the barrels later today.

• Like 7

And the barrels, which sit in all of my wagons. For wagon loads, I haver left to create one more with the crates I have and also then one for some coal. Been having lots of fun running the layout and prefer using the 87xx I have. Will plan to look in to purchasing a couple more locos in the future. Not sure if I want to repaint it just yet.

SAM_4742.JPG

SAM_4744.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nathaniel this is a lovely little brewery layout. I like how you have kept the brewery and houses the same stone work pattern. 
That tiny Pug loco is perfect for the setting. Really great work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your support. Sorry I have not been on here a lot recently, been very busy with work. 

Nothing to update really, have retouched the background as there was a few bits of paint mistakes going on to the blue sky, which are now covered up back with blue. I may consider using some white water colour paint to paint some clouds to give it something going on.

The tiny little loco, despite it always losing connection with the track at a certain point, I really enjoy it. It has since been painted black, which I may leave as for the private company. At some point I will try some weathering, starting with the wagons before going to the Pug. Runs really well over the points most of the time. Will look to get a crew member for it and someone who'd be on the ground to pull the levers for the points.

Also have planned to paint the outside of the layout black, which I will order in a black tester pot to do this. And made a new schedule system recently, but not tested it enough yet. Look to get another update in the next few weeks. Thank you all again for your support.

A lovely layout, almost a case study in 'How to build an Inglenook', and certainly better many  layouts on the web purporting to do the same. A bit more on the electrics would be nice and how you sorted the wiring for the points, as at first you were going to use surface mounted point motors and it looks like they are under the baseboard, with push to make switches.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hello all, sorry that I have not been updating you all about Ember Brewery.

Thank you paulbb for your message, had planned on using point motors underneath, however did not realise that I needed the extended pins to do so. Retailer I purchased them from was very happy to help me rectify my mistake. They were wired with Peco PL34 point wiring loom kit, so nicely installed, though one of the wires was so tightly packed against the metal plate that it got cut, this has been twisted to another wire and then wrapped with tap to prevent contacting anything and causing a short. 

Have tried my hand at weathering my rolling stock and purchased and placed a name plate on to the brewery building to. Do not have any photos of weathered rolling stock yet, but will get some soon to show you all. Also the small loco has been painted black, removing the LMS writing, to make it more freelance, but the GWR loco remains as is, and is often the loco running as the smaller tank likes to disconnect alot.

SAM_5963.JPG

Edit: just seen this photo does show some of the weathering I did.

Edited by Nathaniel
noticed detail in photo
  • Like 4

Hi Nathaniel! 

Very nice, I like it!

You’ve really created something very beautiful. Keep it up!

However, I have a little suggestion for you:
The brickwork and roofs of the stone buildings are almost the same color.

It may be that this is actually the case with real buildings, but maybe it would be nicer if the color of the roofs was a little more different from the rest.

Could be a lot darker, for example...

I wish you a lot of fun and success with your layout!

Best regards,

ThomasG

• Like 1

Just found your thread Nathaniel. Very nice layout you've built there, I like the view of inside the brewery that's a nice touch. The pug is a perfect loco for it too, I run one on my small layouts, although I've a few small loco's I keep coming back to using it! 

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

Thank you sb67 and ThomasG.

I do agree the roofing from the metcalfe kit does appear to be the same shade in the photos, in reality it is darker, however I may at some paint a thin coat over it to make it darker.

The inside of the Brewery was inspired by one of SDJR7F88's WW1 layouts. Think it was his Ardennes layout that is based on the smallest micro layout board that SMS make.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi all.

Recently brought out this layout again for shunting fun in which I have only used two of the sidings. I have removed the point motors and rewired with a dual radio type cable for the track and lighting, with a 3.5 aux socket at the front to plug in my controller. 

The most recent change is that I have worked on my favourite locomotive, making it a truely freelance railway feel. SAM_6205.JPG.77519ba728e8ed225a1f207820e415f0.JPGSAM_6204.JPG.5489f576c450ee7971934d766c1f7520.JPG

Like to upgrade the layout and give it a station as seen last year 4 and 6 wheel coaches which are really nice. Decided when I do it, that they key points will:

1. Keep the existing brewery.
  2. Can look suitable for my freelance fictional company on the line.
  3. At the same time, not look out of place for modern running, station would only really be served by 1 coach DMU's
  4. Use a photographic background

Think I will end up going for a tunnel mouth at the entrance, and have two main sidings one for the brewery and the other for the station. Will have a short siding to with a small yard, but no crane which in steam era goods can be loaded/unloaded such as coal, horses, sheep goods box van. Then in modern, it just sits empty, or place a disused wagon of some description.

• Like 7

Here are three track plans I have thought might be good, not sure which is best, anyone have any ideas. The first one would have the station platform in front(?) to the bottom right. While the other two would have it between the front siding and the long brewery siding, with fencing at the back of the platform. Any I do, I plan to make the brewery siding slightly higher. 

moreideas.jpg

Edited by Nathaniel
more info

Some more track plan ideas. 1st one would have the platform between the two sidings to the right, with the brewery behind, Run round loop is set at an angle and short siding could go either way to the left or right (right being shown).

The middle one is more of a change with the top left double straight for the brewery and the access line to the layout in front of it leading on to the loop. Station to the top right and then a little yard in front of it for coal and odd goods accessed by the shortest siding.

The last one was just trying to play with using y points, ending up with 3 being used. Would have station platform between the two sidings, also in front of the point.

moreideas2.jpg

Think I like the idea of having the brewery to the left behind the throat track and the station to the right with a tiny yard in front of it. Potential a lot of muddling and shunting about. It also the most likely to keep all moves scenic. (in reference to @TechnicArrow in another layout topic.) Will see if I can maybe make up a couple more ideas down and see what others think before getting any additional track I'll need.

• Like 2