Class 22 late production batch

• RMweb Gold

Havent seen anything on here about conversion of a Dapol Class 22 to the late production series so thought I'd start a thread on a current project. Am aware others have similar thoughts, had been hoping Dapol would oblige but that has been kicked in to touch.

There is much to do on the front ends and that is where initial focus will be. Starting point was a headcode GSYP loco - a complete respray is required as the intention is to produce D6336 and D6342, both in BFYE.

30 mins in Superstrip - https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/125pq18 - got me to a bare shell...

Hoping to be back to work in a few weeks so time is limited....

64CAFBF5-F212-4827-92BF-3B882ED81A99.jpeg

74A0A19F-4EB4-4E35-B8B5-1E8F06DC58A5.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photos added
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chris M said:

At the moment it looks like its been through the Laira washing plant once too often .

Definitely! Might look a bit better when finished...but not much!!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6260769900/in/photolist-256Bvtg-gkFj87-22JC3Fv-axf5LC-cqqLJj-c6tWD7-ruo7Ja-Y3vqp8-gkFjE9-yzPrVY-RxxQDR-udHbG9-nXeTuC-PDtzkW-TFpGS3-THaAUs

Good job folks like Brush Veteran were around to take cracking photos....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Definitely! Might look a bit better when finished...but not much!!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6260769900/in/photolist-256Bvtg-gkFj87-22JC3Fv-axf5LC-cqqLJj-c6tWD7-ruo7Ja-Y3vqp8-gkFjE9-yzPrVY-RxxQDR-udHbG9-nXeTuC-PDtzkW-TFpGS3-THaAUs

Good job folks like Brush Veteran were around to take cracking photos....

Dear Lord Bullock of Abbotswood, 

I believe that you and I were of an age to have been around in the "good old days" but things were not that good when it came to us youngsters and cameras. If we had one it was something like a 127 Brownie and we were limited to  a couple of films a year, of which 50% of the photos had to be of our visiting grand parents, and other family members and another 25% didn't come out right. Which on a 12 picture film resulted in 3 photos, if you were lucky. Try telling the kids of today.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Dear Lord Bullock of Abbotswood, 

I believe that you and I were of an age to have been around in the "good old days" but things were not that good when it came to us youngsters and cameras. If we had one it was something like a 127 Brownie and we were limited to  a couple of films a year, of which 50% of the photos had to be of our visiting grand parents, and other family members and another 25% didn't come out right. Which on a 12 picture film resulted in 3 photos, if you were lucky. Try telling the kids of today.

Started off with one of those Clive - got a couple of shots of Sulzer Type 2s at Aberystwyth with it but when it came to Deltics at speed at Great Wymondley or even traffic at Abbotswood it met its limitations!

Was thinking of you earlier - had to get the plasticard out when relocating headcode boxes .....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So what needs doing on the front ends? 

Well, thanks to @BrushVeteran for the use of his superb photos back in the day we can see whats needed...

1. Doors. The later batch did away with the bifold arrangement and had two solid doors. Hoping that with careful use of filler and file I can preserve the original moulded outline and dividing line.

2. Top handrails. Horizontal on early batch - angled on later batch. Remove and replace....

3. Headcode boxes. This is the piggy job! On the model they need to be about 1mm lower - there has to be room for an OHLE flash above them at their outer limit and on the model as it stands there just aint room. Cut around, file subsequent aperture lower and refit. One done, 3 to go! And still got all 10 digits...

4. Lamp irons. Lower ones are in a different location - and a different pattern! Also add top one on doors...

5. Blanking plates - remove and replace

6. Lower handrails - easiest job of the lot! They dont exist on the later batch so just for removal...

So plenty to do....

Class 22 work requried.png

Edited by Phil Bullock
CLarity
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That's a really fascinating comparison Phil.

The 1mm to which you refer, 3 inches on the real thing, isn't that much. Looking at the pictures and the position of the top of the headcode box relative to the cab door handle reinforces this, not much at all.

Before you go and do some more, is there a possibility that the position varies by loco, in other words a bit slapdash by NB Loco?

May your digits remain intact!

John.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Did contemplate not moving the boxes for that tiny amount - but you cant get the OHLE flash in if you dont , and that is characteristic!

The original batch built with disc headcodes and retro fitted boxes certainly varied - but it looks as if this later batch was much more consistent.

Work so far - relocating the boxes has distorted them, need to sort that out....its the cutting out, requires a lot of pressure to get through the body.

A quick coat of primer shows the flaws....

77D1879D-DC65-4C71-AEB9-8839C504B573.jpeg

Better get the filler out!

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photos added
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2020 at 23:59, Clive Mortimore said:

Who?

Its the new government rules on bog roll usage in the face of current Corona virus fuelled panic buying Clive....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Its the new government rules on bog roll usage in the face of current Corona virus fuelled panic buying Clive....

Did you see the new method of after toilet hygiene I posted on faceache yesterday? 

• Funny 1

Really informative thread Phil.

Looking at some GSYP examples it looks as if the far corner of the OHLE flashes did, very very slightly, overlap the nose curve. So even with lower head code boxes it was a tight fit.

As an alternative to moving the head code boxes did you consider whether slightly underscale OHLE flashes might work - e.g. HO rather than OO? If such things exist? Or whether transfers from different sources might be different sizes?

• RMweb Gold

Cheers - and absolutely we did, great minds think alike! And you are right, they are different sizes from different sources but I was told in no uncertain terms that it wouldnt look right if we didnt use Fox OHLE flashes which are the correct dimensions......

So to get round the headcode box distortion have tried fitting Shawplan Class 40 headcode box frames on top of them, a bit over size though but might work with a bit of filing....

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hello Phil,

A very interesting project, have you completed it yet or did work get in the way!

Cheers,

John.

Hi john

D6336 has gone to paint shop D6342 on the way as well.

Should have restarted work on Monday but rushed in to A&E Sunday with a renal stone - painful! So have to see where we go from here. Sorry for delay - normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Will you be grinding it down for ballast Phil?!!

Mike.

You could use it as a wagonload if its within gauge :)

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hi john

D6336 has gone to paint shop D6342 on the way as well.

Should have restarted work on Monday but rushed in to A&E Sunday with a renal stone - painful! So have to see where we go from here. Sorry for delay - normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Phil

I can sympathise, Phil, having passed several myself over the years.

• Friendly/supportive 2