Dapol O Gauge DCC Sound fitted locos

Keith J

Are Dapol having problems with their O gauge DCC sound fitted locos? I notice that the non-sound fitted Sentinels and later 08's have been available for a while now however there is no sign of the sound fitted versions. I have a DCC sound 14xx on order and whilst these loco's are now in the UK and will be in shops early next week I'm assuming the sound fitted versions will have to join the queue behind the Sentinels and 08's so it could be some time before these are available.

I gather that those locos to be fitted with sound are shipped to UK without and that it is fitted in country.  I don't know who does this but there could be a bottleneck with fitting.

You could do it yourself and I've done that with all but one of mine.  I find fitting sound decoders to be a faff, but also understand that Dapol are working on making it easier.

John

• RMweb Gold

It's always the same with DCC sound fitted locos they are not fitted in China. I believe they are fitted here in the UK by DCC supply who also carry out Dapol's repairs, spares and after sales service. 

On 11/03/2020 at 14:18, Keith J said:

Are Dapol having problems with their O gauge DCC sound fitted locos? I notice that the non-sound fitted Sentinels and later 08's have been available for a while now however there is no sign of the sound fitted versions. I have a DCC sound 14xx on order and whilst these loco's are now in the UK and will be in shops early next week I'm assuming the sound fitted versions will have to join the queue behind the Sentinels and 08's so it could be some time before these are available.

Spoke to Dapol at Kettering and they’re awaiting a shipment of Zimo decoders. I’m not aware of where they’re made, but if it’s China then delays are unsurprising...

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Agree 1

I had a sound fitted triple grey 08 on order for ages.  Gave up waiting and got the basic model.  Fitting a Digitrains Zimo 21 Pin decoder was so straightforward(there is a very good stream on here about it).   I will always fit my own decoders in future.  Was a little bit cheaper too.

14 hours ago, Andrew Young said:

Spoke to Dapol at Kettering and they’re awaiting a shipment of Zimo decoders. I’m not aware of where they’re made, but if it’s China then delays are unsurprising...

If they are struggling to get hold of decoders that would indeed account for the delays.

3 hours ago, Maybachmd655 said:

I had a sound fitted triple grey 08 on order for ages.  Gave up waiting and got the basic model.  Fitting a Digitrains Zimo 21 Pin decoder was so straightforward(there is a very good stream on here about it).   I will always fit my own decoders in future.  Was a little bit cheaper too.

That is certainly an option although it's not that I'm desperate to get the loco, after all I've waited quite a while already! It's just that it would be useful to have an eta to help with budgeting. I've a couple of other big purchases to make, like a new dishwasher, and I'd rather they didn't all appear on the same credit card bill.

Edited by Keith J

Coincidentally I've just been on Hattons website and they have some sound fitted Dapol 08's showing as just arrived in stock today so it looks like they might be starting to trickle through.