Minsterley

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

Hi ,

For better and better - I hope, I now have the Late Peter Gentle layout Minsterley in my care. It is a bit over 12 feet by 18" wide of a 1935 GWR terminus. Peter being a man of planning created a great log diary started in May 1978.    While I have no photos at this time I was wondering if anybody else had. There are 5 pics on the 3mm soc site.  

Some electrical work to finish as it has had undocumented changes and a few parts may be lost due to it moving around the country- as is the way. Having cleared a few cobwebs and by using a 9v battery I got a loco to move on it so that is progress!  

Robert  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Robert,

Do you have the magazine article ? I can't remember offhand which magazine it featured in but I know that I have the 'stripped' down remnants in my 3mm layout file in my loft. I can retrieve it later today as I will be going up there for another file.

I presume that the layout has come via the late John Blenkinsop ? Glad to find that it has found a suitable home as Peter's work was far too could for the tip, I consider myself lucky to own one of his dioramas, Slads End, which I bought from his Son, Martin, which even though being very small it is no less inspirational.

Regards,

Ian.

(Article found - BRM Sept 1995.)

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi  Ian,

I will have to check my 3mm file - its in Wales in the cave! But thanks for heads up I will otherwise trawl Warley club archive. 

Progress has been made with power tested ok on 16VAc to controller points . a spare controller built by Peter - according to label has be rigged into a socket and 80% has had a loco over it . Station runround crossover needs attention - it has been part fitted with tortoise motors - one is damaged and the fiddle link cable needs work. But it is basically fine. 

Yes it is inspirational piece of modelling and while dated for GWR August 1935 It is quite suitable to be a BR (W) layout in the early 1960s at the end of steam/ a bit of diesel.  Bset. Autocoach/ railbus/razor car/ cross country dmu. 14xx , 57xx ,45xx and smll tender/ mogul along with std 2,3,4 tanks  perhaps 63xx , 5xxx 7xxx locos.  Parcels and goods trains much the same - 16t coal over POWs   It would be possible to have a short loco hauled coach rake.

Robert      

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent Robert,

I bought Hemyock Road from Mark Haynes, when he put it up for sale, with the same view that I could make it suit my own purposes. I am just in the process (although dragging it out) of making an alternative end board so that I can use the layout as a NE style branch as well as it's intended WR milk orientated theme (obviously not at the same time !)

I hope it (Minsterley) brings you a lot of pleasure, when I found out that John had acquired it I rather hoped that he might have needed a hand in exhibiting it, being a fellow West Riding Group member but alas it was not to be.

Please keep the thread going if possible with progress updates and photos as I'm sure that more people will be interested and eventually find it, it's a great advert for the 'Premier Scale.'

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Thanks for that.  I have now been sourcing 5din plugs and a box to hold the controller at the Garden rail show in Leamington tomorrow and likely to have a few days after to solidly clean and sort electrics - the tortoise will come off and a some seep motors to go on - the Tortoise are about 3mm deeper than the frame hence damage. The storage boxes also need TLC so should be better placed to get back on circuit in 2021.   

I will need to get a suitable tech upgrade as no camera ... but yes pics on the agenda along with a track diagram.

The lovely thing is that came home to day and the lounge slightly smelt of old layout - quite refreshing to me anyway.    I hope you get as much fun from Hemyock road.

Robert       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Robert,

Glad it's in safe hands.

I have quite a few of it taken over a few decades. Here are a couple to be going on with. They were taken at a special gathering following Peter's passing. 

20130831_142900.jpg

20130831_131833.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the pics - it is just a bit dustier and I now have boxed the "becon" controller and have wired and tested it . Also the smashed fiddle yard switches  now renewed and a new jumper socket on fiddle board. 

It is a layout of surprises - Peter noted a colour light signal - well found it now its on the tunnel wall visible only from the operator side - intended to show when fiddle op was ready for next train - but no sign of a switch in on the fiddle board. Jumper wires look to control it but at some point  the hinges which passed rail busbars across boards was disconnected and connected to signal feeds which might well have done for the LED head - but that is now for tomorrow .  

The 9way across station board had no plug backs - has two new ones now and of course it has stopped working- one step forward, two back !! but getting there.

Robert   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well Fiddle yard and kick back sidings fully operational, Signal from fiddle to station operator now has a two way switch and works, smoke generator for Brewery  proved ok and yard lamp supply works - new SMT led fitted to lamp and another used to test switching.  yard lamp and fiddle sigs on uncontrolled 12v dc supplies, plus resistors so help show layout power ok.  Board 3 , fiddle board and cases vacummed clean with out loss of scenery  

I now find tracks in timber yard now open circuit on -ve busbar on board 3, approach tracks on 2 ok and jumper test ok.  And Brewery lamp to finish having proved supply works.  This self isolate seems fine at the mo !! 

Robert  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah well, this is annoying. I've just composed a nice piece on Minsterley and Peter, uploaded some nice photos and somewhere the forum chucked me out:banghead: after a short break involving much swearing, here we go again....

The following photos were all taken at the last showing of Minsterley (so far) at Peter's house back in 2013 when Peter's son Martin and his family hosted a final gathering of his friends who came from far and wide to honour Peter's memory with Minsterley and his incredible shed layout.

Incidentally, BRM back in September 1995 had a nice article on Minsterley with far better photographs taken by Tony Wright, well worth getting hold of!:danced:

Peter was a great modeller, a true gentleman and a modelling mentor to myself and many others. Forget books, Peter taught me how to make buildings and I still use his methods but can never come near to his standard of work. He had also modelled for Pendon.

More to follow if you want them :derisive:

20130831_114957.jpg

20130831_115024.jpg

20130831_115044.jpg

20130831_131911.jpg

20130831_131927.jpg

20130831_132205 (2).jpg

20130831_135545.jpg

20130831_135626.jpg

20130831_135633.jpg

20130831_135649.jpg

20130831_135731.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

4109, Thanks for pictures ,once travel allowed again I will check my 3mm cuttings files for the 1995 article- otherwise ebay /amazon etc or possibly Warley club library will provide.

One photo is very useful as it shows the form if not design of the vanity screen on the fiddle yard.

Well new point machines for crossover and some jumper plugs and sockets now to hand.  So that is Sunday sorted!

One cable saver Peter used was to have the joining hinges be electrically live as well. Two had failed so new contact screws fitted into frames - well if it did since 1980s then 2020 not bad.made some new steel hinge pins but might also look at wiper contacts if problems reoccur. 

The lever frame is amazing with 16 levers grouped- gem frame direct drive to double pole changeover switches and the slider switch knob also drilled for wire in tube point and signals with crossing switching on one half of the switch and power control to line on on other side.  levers 1,2,3 control three power zones but these are two way to a second controller ( I only have one at the mo) and contacts have LED indicators to see which controller selected.    

In a Denny style set up the lever frame crosses a base board join and 17 - 22 on a frame on board 3 alongside, hidden by scenery but easy to use.  I really hope nonthing need changing as it is a lovely topsy growed cats craddle!   

Robert 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, The camping coach cameo board was an extension and the stop signal does just that. With no end back scene you can get a great rail level view the 8" of overgrown track does mean no chance loco falls off , but you could propel stock over it .. no not tried and no intention - perhaps a mirror or a piece of perspex would be a good idea in the future.  

The board has a lovely house by Peter, camping coach, signal with LED and allotments with a bonfire - smoke unit under board but the little pile of sticks for the fire are lost. Power proved to smoke generator and I guess if run it would look like a dragon sleeping under the allotments! - a flickering LED might be worth adding.

Robert    

• RMweb Gold

The cameo board was an extension that formed part of a competition at an AGM  some years ago. Nicely incorporated into the layout.

Well after purchasing a pair of Lamco point motors I now have a working station crossover- just. Now looking at two motor alternative as motor only just able to over come the wire in tube resistance. I think a reliable operating layout tops a slavish restoration.   also matched colours on road repairs and added a few bushes as well, letting glue dry.

Have to rebox and invert to connect crossing wiring and then a play /test session tomorrow.

Robert       

• RMweb Premium

Lovely work.  I don't think I ever saw this layout, but I well remember admiring Peter's "Mullion" layout, Helston with variations.

Are there any photos anywhere of that one?

Thanks very much, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mullion was featured in Model Railway Constructor. I think it was the penultinate edition of that fine magazine. Although I operated Mullion with Peter on many occasions I have no photos of my own.:resent:

• RMweb Gold

After much searching I have found some earlier photos of Minsterley.

These show the layout in it's original form as a terminus.

Excuse the quality as they were taken by me way back in 1979 as a mere lad of 16.

Some of them were taken at the Dean Forest Railway when the layout was set up for the weekend in the original platform building which came from Drybrook Road. We were rewarded with a short cab ride on Uskmouth No.1. The running line was rather short as the railway had not escaped beyond the Norchard site then but it was certainly enjoyed and appreciated.

007.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob thanks for the pictures, One shot does show a glimpse of a backscene however I do not think it fits now, I see the station in a more rural context - perhaps why it fell from favour.   I have tracked down a copy of Mullion article in the MRC May 1987 and I can see the genesis  for Minsterley.  I cracking article and rather more weight to it than some current offerings on layouts.

Another pic shows the release turnout with a point motor attached and no sign of a wire in tube as available today. The alterations to take the cameo board whilst not extensive, work of a brave man given the lovely buffer stops. Even the flock of sheep are still frozen in time today.    

I will have to check on BRM  1995 but that will have to await normal service resumption!         

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NCB said:

The station building in particular is superb. Thanks for these shots.

Nigel

Yes, Peter was a great modeler of buildings each well observed and beautifully executed, touches such as guttering, flashing and window layout produced lifelike models, Little or no fading over time is apparent and on the layout each one a gem and what attracted me to it.  Having dusted and care vacc`ed the layout over the last few weeks and sorted 99% of wiring it does look good, crossover still to sort to satisfaction and uncoupling ramps to start over on some 22 on layout and perhaps 7 to rebuild. Then to work on a coupling mod for triang couplings to see what can easily be done . Peter had his own hook bearing on the triang loop - reasonably unobtrusive system.

Robert       

• Like 1

Robert

I’ve just come across this and I have to say what a lucky chap you are to have care of Minsterley. I saw it a number of times at my local exhibition in Cheltenham and each time was a delight.

The other layout that was equally delightful was Mullion, Peter’s take on Helston. I believe he sold it to a chap in Holland who used to keep Peter updated on his layout.

Stephen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1