Minsterley

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

Stephen,

Thanks for the comment - yes "care of" is much my view as it along with Mullion are showcases on the mind and soul of Peter, and worthy of keeping as long as possible.  It is good to know that Mullion got saved as well. I have the article on it and seen a few pics equally inspiring. - Funny to say that as BR blue modeller and interested in the LMS controlled Highland and S&D routes  given Peter enjoyed the influence of the Great Way Round organisation. 

Like you I watched the layout in quiet awe in Cheltenham. Hopefully such times will return in awhile. 

Robert        

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well some progress , release crossover remotored ok, loop point frog wired ok but main one induces a short  so a bit of investigation required.  Everything else now works with LEDs repaired or repowered ok. so about 97% back as built. Sorting the missing uncoupler wires next. - 7 to repair once correct guitar wire got, 10thou - ebay to solve.

Two D63xx locos on the bench so hopefully a bit of modernisation shortly to report, but no rationalisation. 

Robert 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, loop points sorted one fault to  sort - but spare cable way in board - board plug should sort that.

One quirk to fathom loop line only live when main crossover reversed, so you cannot run round execept as one complete operation. Also need the cross over reversed to get to engine shed. No Idea why it is like this but it is as built. The joys of looking into the mind of a good gent who passed away in 2003. 

Robert 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Normally the loop line would have its own feed. Seems it's taking its power over the crossover instead. Can you acces the dock opposite the station building OK?

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

The wiring is quite innovative in that all lines are live with lines beyond points to dead ends powered when points turned that way.  The only normally two switched isolating sections are lever 5 which kills power from the toe of the point at the platform building end towards the cameo section, to hold an arriving loco when a second is attached at rear. The other is in front of the milk depot- also on lever 5.  The three power zones of main area, private brewery and the bay and goods shed are on levers 1 - 3 but in normal position in the frame are on controller1 and when reversed on controller2, so with just one controller available these act as on - off switches but are really 2 way.       

The boards have inside each side frame a bare copper buswire and almost all lines are attached to the appropriate power zone, board 3 which has the brewery. main line and back sidings has three sets of live busbars and a fourth common return bus. 

The reason why the loop power from the cattle dock through point to the foot crossing by the diamond crossing is switched is to allow a loco to stand when another arrives in the main platform as both lines part of the same power zone. It is logical thus when king point 16 is normal  the loop is dead, it is just unconventional to have the king point reversed and the other half of the main cross over normal to allow an engine to access the brewery or the short headshunt.  I have investigated getting another mini slider switch and adding lever 0 to control power and remove the power wire from 16. For sake of lever appearances I would paint 0 brown to be a king lever.        

FWIW the 16 lever frame has a mixed parentage of Gem levers and quadrants on a Peter based frame, all levers are connected to DPDT sliders by a wire through the knob, if a point is controlled a second wire through knob connects into a wire in tube. 

Conversely the  traverser has all lines dead unless switched on and a push button controlled dead end section for auto stop. - remarkably normal !   

A great layout but getting into Peter`s mind not easy but his build log is the next best thing, which I have updated with what was not listed after layout built and modified, this is such a fun project !  However thanks NCB for your thoughts.

Robert 

• Like 2