Signalling on Midland Single Branch Lines

Hoping I’m not asking a daft question...

While construction of my Rylstone layout is paused due to my sorting out it’s permanent home (read decorating the loft), I’ve been considering whether to model it more of a “might have been” rather than a “as it was”.

In reality Rylstone was the only intermediate station on the Yorkshire Dales Railway branch to Grassington. The YDR made several proposals to extend the line beyond Grassington, but these repeatedly came to nothing. One scheme was to extend the line to link up with the NER and Midland at Hawes.

My pondering has led me to wonder, if this actually occurred, and the line retained a passenger service (dropped by the LMS in 1930, IRCC), would Rylstone have obtained a full complement of signalling?

In my (potential) alternative reality I’m thinking of at least two passenger trains between Hawes and Skipton, plus a daily pick-up goods each way together with weekly dedicated trains serving the quarries at Swinden and Skirethornes (Grassington).
  In actuality, during the period I’m modelling (1962 ish), there was a daily goods train from Skipton to Grassington and back, with (I believe) an additional weekly working to Swinden Limeworks from Skipton on Mondays.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1

Had the scheme come to fruition I would have thought that the midland would have changed the entire line to be double track to start with. The junction at Embsay with the Wharfedale line potentially becoming a triangle to allow traffic to Leeds and Bradford aswell. This is in addition to the fact that a large desire of the line was also access to Darlington.

Add to this the additional traffic generated by the other stations which certainly would have been created (Conistone and Kettlewell immediately spring to mind) almost certainly in my opinion makes it likely to have become double track.

• Informative/Useful 1