Rapido Facebook Live Events - next November 11th 7pm EST

mdvle

Original Message:

Jason and Jordon will be hosting a "Ask Me Anything" session from the recreated VIA car in Jason's basement on Wednesday, March 18th at 8:00pm EDT (regrettably midnight UK time if the website I used is correct)

From the announcement in today's newsletter

an informal chat about the hobby, Rapido, prototype railroading, and whatever else you want to talk about (provided it is related to either Star Trek or Doctor Who). We will do our best to answer your questions, though we do reserve the right to say "we don't know" or "we know but we're not going to tell you!"

Rapido Facebook Page

Edited by mdvle
updated to November 11th event

My recollections from the session regarding UK stuff.  Everything comes with the "things could change as circumstances change" caveat.

APT-E - new run sooner rather than later.

tooling of the 2nd bus should happen soon

Now that things are becoming more settled, plans for more UK stuff.  Announcement in 12 months or more likely, but there will be samples at time of announcement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For those interested (and avoiding Facebook), Rapido have posted an edited version to YouTube - if they don't always appear to be looking at the camera it's because the camera used for Facebook was located to the left of the camera used for this.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 19/03/2020 at 03:43, mdvle said:

My recollections from the session regarding UK stuff.  Everything comes with the "things could change as circumstances change" caveat.

APT-E - new run sooner rather than later.

tooling of the 2nd bus should happen soon

Now that things are becoming more settled, plans for more UK stuff.  Announcement in 12 months or more likely, but there will be samples at time of announcement.

I wonder if Covid19 has changed any of this? Things are certainly not settled now!

7 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I wonder if Covid19 has changed any of this? Things are certainly not settled now!

So, usual disclaimer, all guesswork based on observation.

APT-E - this is easy, likely to happen.  Tooling should be paid for so smaller run viable, has been a number of years since the first run so demand should be there.  Time will tell.

2nd bus - was in the North American newsletter last week, it is off to tooling with prices/etc expected to be announced sometime in the summer (link to newsletter with CAD image posted to the bus thread).   As I have said in other threads, for any of these manufacturers once they have committed to tooling given they need to pay that significant money in advance they are committed to releasing the model to try and recoup at least some of the money - few if any of these companies have enough money to sit on unused tooling waiting for a better day.

UK stuff - certainly could change, but unlike Brexit Covid is a world wide problem so not really possible to avoid it as such.  At some point they need to keep bringing stuff out to sell, and the UK won't necessarily be in any better/worse shape than Canada or the US.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guess should also state the obvious, at least regarding the APT-E and second bus.

If you do want those models given the uncertainties in the economy, and given the likelihood of them being released in the next 12 to 24 months, anyone wanting them may want to start putting aside the money to buy them so it is available when/if they do get announced.

North American newsletter 125 brings 2 new Facebook Live sessions where you will be able to ask questions.

Wednesday May 20th 8pm EDT - Join Jason in the VIA Coach in his basement and chat about Rapido, the model railroad hobby, real trains, all the roles Norman Jones played in Doctor Who, and anything else.

Monday May 25th at 7pm EDT - join TrainWorld Live as Bill Schneider and Jordan Smith join the people from TrainWorld to answer questions and discuss things, particularly US models.  This one is held on the TrainWorld Facebook page.

And the following quote from the newsletter will be of interest to UK modellers:

"We are in the process of expanding our British model offerings, so there will be a lot of news for our UK customers in the coming months."

The UK content from tonight's event.

Those wanting to see another run of the APT-E should email Locomotion letting them know you are interested in purchasing a model

See posting from Locomotion where they don't want to deal with the APT-E until next year when the pandemic is over.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87114-the-official-rapido-apt-e-thread/&do=findComment&comment=3978226

They has planned to launch two products are Warley, now not so sure if able to given Covid-19 and possibility of travel problems.

Not interested in doing EMU/DMU units as customer expectations on price don't reflect the reality of the tooling costs of a 3 or 4 car unit.

Edited by mdvle
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Next Rapido Facebook Live will be Monday, July 20th at 7pm EDT.

Participating from Rapido will be Jason Shron, Jordon Smith, Dan Darnell, and John Sheridan.

The announcement includes this:

Please ask us some deeper questions about our hobby and not just "Can you make product X?" or "When is this coming in N scale?" We really want to have an engaging discussion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Someone asked about more OO products, yes they are planning several more projects hopefully in the next 12 months or so.

Thank you for posting this. 

I haven't seen the Facebook live video. Was their any mention of what OO Gauge products their are or might be in the pipeline: steam, diesel, electric locos, wagons, coaches etc? 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

9 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I haven't seen the Facebook live video. Was their any mention of what OO Gauge products their are or might be in the pipeline: steam, diesel, electric locos, wagons, coaches etc?

No comments on what might be coming, just that some stuff is coming.  In general Rapido don't get that specific on these things, and there automatic answer to any question about "will you make X" is maybe.

That said, some general comments from observing several of these sessions (I hope I remember correctly) and Rapido in general

• a lot of what Rapido make is the result of the item being of interest to one of the employees (examples: Amtrak Turboliner has been a long time wish of Jordon, the M420 for Dan Darnell, and of course a lot of stuff being stuff for Jason's Kingston Sub layout)
  • relevance to OO - Bill Schneider is/has been a GWR modeller, and Jason lived in Birmingham in the early 2000's, though Jason also likes the 70s and vintage stuff.
  • Jason has mentioned multiple units to be unlikely - his view is the market has unrealistic expectations as to what the models would cost vs. the cost of making them (tooling in particular) - though I guess if someone really wants to make one they may make an exception.
  • unless someone else has picked it up the Gunpowder van may be an obvious one given they were already working on it in the past
  • part of the challenge will be working into a crowded UK market and finding a prototype that isn't already being done to a reasonably high standard.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, mdvle said:

No comments on what might be coming, just that some stuff is coming.  In general Rapido don't get that specific on these things, and there automatic answer to any question about "will you make X" is maybe.

That said, some general comments from observing several of these sessions (I hope I remember correctly) and Rapido in general

• a lot of what Rapido make is the result of the item being of interest to one of the employees (examples: Amtrak Turboliner has been a long time wish of Jordon, the M420 for Dan Darnell, and of course a lot of stuff being stuff for Jason's Kingston Sub layout)
  • relevance to OO - Bill Schneider is/has been a GWR modeller, and Jason lived in Birmingham in the early 2000's, though Jason also likes the 70s and vintage stuff.
  • Jason has mentioned multiple units to be unlikely - his view is the market has unrealistic expectations as to what the models would cost vs. the cost of making them (tooling in particular) - though I guess if someone really wants to make one they may make an exception.
  • unless someone else has picked it up the Gunpowder van may be an obvious one given they were already working on it in the past
  • part of the challenge will be working into a crowded UK market and finding a prototype that isn't already being done to a reasonably high standard.

Thank you for the reply and the information. I really appreciate it. 

Their are some really interesting potential models their going on the interest of their employees. I can understand the hesitation and caution in relation to producing multiple units. Whilst multiple units in OO Gauge can be popular, as you say the interest has to go beyond that and be extremely popular to justify the costs of new tooling to potentially produce a new unit. Finding a gap in the market is challenging as you say, especially in OO Gauge as we are already seeing more retools of diesel and electric locos, and more newly tooled wagons and coaches announced. Had they have been delving into the UK OO market a few years ago then their would have been plenty of scope and options to upgrade existing models or to produce models which hadn't been produced before, but since then their has been a flood of announcements 'grabbing' many models from that list. It will be interesting to see what Rapido come up with in the next year or so. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• 4 weeks later...

Next Facebook Q&A announced - Monday September 14th at 8pm EDT featuring Jordan, Josh, John, and Bill.

As Bill is a fan of UK railways he might be able to answer (or not) any UK themed questions.

Edited by mdvle
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • mdvle changed the title to Rapido Facebook Live Events - next November 11th 7pm EST