Amtrak / VIA Rail / GO Transit / ? - Covid-19 service changes

mdvle

• 2 months later...

And the Ocean returns (gradually).

VIA has announced the Ocean will resume service - initially once a week - staring August 11 for Halifax/Montreal and August 15th for Montreal/Halifax

Masks mandatory, no movement around the train allowed, food service will be delivered to cabin/seats.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/via-rail-s-ocean-service-to-gradually-resume-starting-august-11-805848387.html

Apparently the deadhead equipment move from Montreal to Halifax will happen on Monday July 12th.

• 1 month later...

Interested if anyone will be able to take photos of the departure on the 12th from Halifax. I won't be able to, am in meetings all day. Interested in what changes have been made to the formation.

I hope to take some photos of arrival on the 16th, but they likely won't turn the locos for a bit? Assume they have a Y somewhere in the yard there to turn the locos, even though they're not turning the whole train in the loop at the port now?

Looked at tickets and they don't seem to have the bigger sleeper cabins (for four) they used to, or maybe I'm imagining they used to. Anyway, not useful when I have two young kids - I would need two cabins (they don't let me book one and have the kids share), but then they also won't let me book two cabins as I can't leave a kid, or both kids, alone.

17 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Interested if anyone will be able to take photos of the departure on the 12th from Halifax. I won't be able to, am in meetings all day. Interested in what changes have been made to the formation.

I'm sure pictures will show up somewhere given it isn't just the return of the Ocean but also the new bi-directional Ocean.

Of course, assuming my post above turned out to be accurate the equipment is already in Halifax given it needed to arrive early for training purposes so in theory someone could take pictures now.

I hope to take some photos of arrival on the 16th, but they likely won't turn the locos for a bit? Assume they have a Y somewhere in the yard there to turn the locos, even though they're not turning the whole train in the loop at the port now?

Or perhaps they simply make sure to have at least 2 locos done back-to-back so they can simply swap ends of the train.

Looked at tickets and they don't seem to have the bigger sleeper cabins (for four) they used to, or maybe I'm imagining they used to. Anyway, not useful when I have two young kids - I would need two cabins (they don't let me book one and have the kids share), but then they also won't let me book two cabins as I can't leave a kid, or both kids, alone.

Try talking to VIA on the phone (if you haven't) would be my suggestion.  I would guess things are still being sorted out, there is a report on a mailing list that rooms on a Chateau cars are available for some of the dates but not all and Chateau offers a 3-person room and the possibility of creating a 4-person room

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mdvle said:

I'm sure pictures will show up somewhere given it isn't just the return of the Ocean but also the new bi-directional Ocean.

Of course, assuming my post above turned out to be accurate the equipment is already in Halifax given it needed to arrive early for training purposes so in theory someone could take pictures now.

Or perhaps they simply make sure to have at least 2 locos done back-to-back so they can simply swap ends of the train.

Try talking to VIA on the phone (if you haven't) would be my suggestion.  I would guess things are still being sorted out, there is a report on a mailing list that rooms on a Chateau cars are available for some of the dates but not all and Chateau offers a 3-person room and the possibility of creating a 4-person room

That's a very good point - I'm getting a faint memory that at one time there was only one loco in each formation with HEP and it had to be coupled on the inside (separate generator?), but can't imagine that's still the case?

I had a look through instagram and a couple of other places for photos, didn't find any that were geotagged. I did find one video from today, shows the locos back to back, a number of budds, then the renaissance, but the video cuts before the end of the train (and any dome cars) can be seen. 

I'll give them a call later in the year when they're up to the full timetable and when the fall situation is a little better known. Also gives my credit card the chance to recover from a recent house purchase. A 3-person room would be great, and I might be able to persuade my partner to come with if there's the potential for a 4-person and she's feeling positively disposed to me at that time.

Let me know if you'd like the link for the video I found. I'll go check through a few of the facebook groups here too. I'm only starting to get connected into groups here - haven't really had the opportunity to indulge my hobby in a decade plus.

Edited to add a video link to youtube showing the deadhead move coming into Halifax. Clearly shows no dome car. 4 Budd, rest Renaissance. And not surprisingly mdvle is completely correct re. the locos.

Edited by Nova Scotian

2 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

That's a very good point - I'm getting a faint memory that at one time there was only one loco in each formation with HEP and it had to be coupled on the inside (separate generator?), but can't imagine that's still the case?

VIA's locos have been HEP since the mid-80s, and the rolling stock HEP since the early to mid-90s (when the Budd equipment was rebuilt, and the ex-CN stuff was retired with the service cuts). 

However only 1 loco provides HEP at a time is my understanding.

I had a look through instagram and a couple of other places for photos, didn't find any that were geotagged. I did find one video from today, shows the locos back to back, a number of budds, then the renaissance, but the video cuts before the end of the train (and any dome cars) can be seen. 

Found this* on YouTube of the train arriving in Halifax July 13th - as you say 6427/6411 back to back (so no turning necessary), the Renaissance cars and 4 Budd cars (baggage, sleeper, 2xcoach).  No domes - but, that's not a surprise given passengers are confined to their seat/cabin and couldn't use a dome anyway.  It's possible a mid-train dome may be added once passengers can move around, we will have to wait and see.

(the Canadian needs a dome for some onboard services I believe which is why it still has it even though the dome itself is off limits - I think the disabled room might be in a dome car for the Budd fleet)

I'll give them a call later in the year when they're up to the full timetable and when the fall situation is a little better known. Also gives my credit card the chance to recover from a recent house purchase. A 3-person room would be great, and I might be able to persuade my partner to come with if there's the potential for a 4-person and she's feeling positively disposed to me at that time.

You will really need to talk to VIA - and perhaps talk to them even when making plans and not ready yet to purchase.  The 3-person room should be easy as it appears to be available in several of the Budd sleepers but the ability to connect two of the 2-person rooms into a 4-person may be restricted to certain equipment, which may mean the Ocean can't do it - I just don't know enough about the VIA fleet and VIA's website isn't clear.  They also could give you an idea on how quickly those room(s) sell out and thus how far in advance you would have to book.

Of course that all assumes they keep a Chateau on the Ocean as reported elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A brief comment- my family is booked on The Canadian leaving Toronto March 27th, if anyone else is so inclined.  I did this because I'd like to have been across in a sleeper in the Budds before they go away...

Domes are re-opened at this time (Late November).  Hopefully...

James

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...

Good news that the Chateau sleepers are coming back to the Ocean. Promised my kids I'd take them on the train as soon as I can. Reckon that might end up being a December trip to Quebec city due to other costs this year. Also the tickets aren't cheap, I thought they'd be trying to stir up interest, but given how quickly it booked they didn't need to cut the price to fill them!

On 16/03/2022 at 13:21, Nova Scotian said:

Good news that the Chateau sleepers are coming back to the Ocean. Promised my kids I'd take them on the train as soon as I can. Reckon that might end up being a December trip to Quebec city due to other costs this year. Also the tickets aren't cheap, I thought they'd be trying to stir up interest, but given how quickly it booked they didn't need to cut the price to fill them!

Remember to shop around- the discounts can be fairly good for VIA.  It used to go as high as 50% off, and when I brought Smaller Schmoe across camping class (Coach), it cost the princely sum of $21 for them in 2019 from Toronto-Vancouver, with a 2 train delay in Longlac.  (we went to Thunder Bay).

We leave on Wed for our trip- I will post what it was like when we get back and I have some time :).  Photos may be delayed- I'm taking B&W film...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peach james said:

Remember to shop around- the discounts can be fairly good for VIA.  It used to go as high as 50% off, and when I brought Smaller Schmoe across camping class (Coach), it cost the princely sum of $21 for them in 2019 from Toronto-Vancouver, with a 2 train delay in Longlac.  (we went to Thunder Bay).

We leave on Wed for our trip- I will post what it was like when we get back and I have some time :).  Photos may be delayed- I'm taking B&W film...

Wow - how did you get it that cheap?

Part of my problem is I can't face 21 hours in a seat, so want a sleeper cabin, which obviously increases the cost massively. I have seen the "discounted" rate that's sometimes available, but not seen offers like $21 for that distance. Is there somewhere on the Via website with offers or codes? Or just checking what's available on that train.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...