Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

RMweb is 15

Congratulations Andy!

I believe I was a Couple of years behind the earliest members but sadly, a lot of them are no longer with us for one reason or another. I still doubt I'm even in the older club though!

I shall try and compose something better shortly but as a world traveler, this place brings me news from home and is like a club I can take with me, I still love it here!

Cheers,

John

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

15 years, wow. It only seems like yesterday that it all started, and all to get photos! I joined on day 2 and have stayed through the various versions. The forum helped me through tough times at home. My level of posting tends to depend on my work load. I have enjoyed exhibiting once at the SWAG Taunton do and getting a go at driving the 08 on the WSR.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Andy.

It almost seems like yesterday that I signed up, but it was actually 12th March 2007 !!

I've learnt so much over the intervening 13 years since I joined from the generous contributions and sharing of knowledge that flows from the membership here.  Some sadly no longer with us.

I'll raise a glass to you for navigating the site to where it is today,  through all the trials and tribulations and here's to the next 15 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another 15%er, thus the laborious 34theletterbetweenB&D rather than my original 34C handle. How about a nostalgia section with the saga of the previous RMweb version crashes illustrated by toppling progressively larger capacity cranes into the harbour? That was hilarious.

Undoubtedly what I have found most useful and truly appreciate is the information exchange; whether historical or about technique, products and services. Just today, seen the first reports of those who have tried Gaugemaster for Heljan spares. Hopefully I have occasionally posted something useful.

Here's to another fifteen.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 years? 

From those humble beginnings way back when to the tremendous website it is now. Truly visionary of Andy at that time.....:drink_mini:

It's a bit like Triggers Broom with all the updates, but many of us have been here from Day 1.....

Congratulations to the unsung heroes behind the scenes that make all this happen!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

How about a nostalgia section with the saga of the previous RMweb version crashes illustrated by toppling progressively larger capacity cranes into the harbour? That was hilarious.

That was my indiscretion. Not even google can find that one now - it was on the old system. (What I called 'RMweb 1.5'.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

how the site has helped you in some way and /or what it means to you.

I've only been a member for a few years but the amount of knowledge I have gained from this site is huge! Other peoples' models are a constant source of inspiration and I have made some good friends in the model railway community from this site too =) 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
Added text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I know they say you often cannot do better than join a club which I haven't, or may be by being on here I did, just a stonking great virtual one

Who knew you could have a layout that develops your musical taste - Sheffield Exchange

Who knows how much you can spend on wood for boards - Eastwood Town

Who knew layouts could be are - Little Muddle

There are threads that are tutorials in there own right - Catcott Burtle

There is mayhem is Wheeltapers

There are rivet counters and code 100 users admiring each others work

I bet this topic has now got people guessing just how many days in the last 15 years Andy Y has not looked at the site :-)

In fact about the only thing missing is the ability to share a virtual pint - Oh no, I did that a while back at one of the trips to Pendon.

Now what will the place look like on March 15th, 2035?

Thanks Mr York and BRM

regards

Steve

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I joined some time in early 2007, so a bit of an old-timer by some standards but by no means one of the true pioneers! If RMweb eras are Bachmann railway eras that probably makes me pre-grouping.

Having been around for a while, it's difficult to think of a single thing that's been a standout as there are obviously a lot of competing memories. But, on the other hand, the fact that I'm still here after 13 years does indicate that it's been consistently worthwhile over that time (and I've managed to avoid upsetting the mods!).

I joined RMweb shortly after returning to the hobby after a gap of more than 20 years - I was a very active modeller in my teens and early 20s, but leaving home meant leaving it all behind as I simply didn't have the space. But the big difference between now and then, is that back then I was a member of a club, so there were always people I could turn to for advice and learn from. In my second phase I've been very much a solo modeller, mainly for the simple reason that there is no club conveniently located for me (and, in any case, my work and extra-curricular activities would make membership difficult). So the biggest value, to me, of RMweb is as a kind of virtual club, where I can learn from what others are doing, pick people's brains when I've got a question and just enjoy a good natter about trains and models.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

May 23, 2009 for me—it was RMWeb2 in those days; presumably there was an RMWeb1 too (not necessarily, though—there was a dBaseII but no dBaseI or even dBase). At the time RMW was one of the two main sites I used for modelling information — the other being MREMag, which if it still exists is nothing like what it once was.

To keep RMW up to its high standard for so long is a testament to its creator, Andy York, and to his colleagues from BRM. No other forum in the English-speaking world comes close.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

My profile tells me I joined on May 4th, 2007. I might have even managed to finish some of my modelling projects since then!!

Outstanding memory for me was the first (I think?) RMweb Members Day at the Chasewater Railway. A fantastic atmosphere, different somehow to 'normal' exhibitions, and who could forget Captain Kernow wheelspinning that steam loco outside??!! :D

I can't lay claim to any highly original stuff that would win the prizes offered here, but they're not my scale or Era anyway so no big loss. But I do lay claim to the possibility that I might be the only UK member at least, with a Roundy-Roundy O Scale 17ft x 8ft layout in his average-sized loft. :yes:

US outline, 2-rail O Scale standard gauge,  with 36" radius curves... :sarcastichand:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A remarkable achievement for a site that is both entertaining and informative. A site that is, mostly, full of helpful, friendly modellers of all abilities who are always willing to share their skills and knowledge.  

I remember being on the old BRM forum when a young whippersnapper came along and asked if there would be any interest in a new style forum. The rest as they say....

One of the early features was of course the ratings - who can forget the 'post wh0res'  ;)  racing to be first to be Stationmasters.  I don't think I ever got beyond cleaning the toilets.

I suppose it would be too un-PC to mention Jimmy Saville's older (or was it younger) brother?

Edit: Mention of the The Good Captain above brought to mind, for some reason, parsnip roulade and the appearance of a parsnip as a load on a goods wagon on a layout at a member's 'meet up' at Ally Pally many years ago - much to the bemusement of other punters.  I suppose it is one of those things where you would have had to be there to really appreciate it.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Sadly Don is no longer with us

And we have lost, among other stalwarts, Jock67B who was another ER regular.  Many of us would await his daily digest not just as a synthesis of perhaps several pages of posts but to be assured that he was, whilst extremely unwell, still with us.  And then one day he wasn't.  

ERs has kept me going through some challenging times, including diagnosis of, treatment for and recovery from cancer, and I believe I have returned the favour to one or two of its regulars over the years.  When some other sites have faded away and / or the social side has turned distinctly sour ERs remains a place of friendship, support, light-hearted banter and self-regulation. 

The site as a whole is a vast resource.  I only scratch a little of its surface with my visits though am aware that very much more is available.  For Andy to have made a career out of a hobby and (hopefully) turned a profit out of the empty pockets which running one's own site sometimes entails does him enormous credit.  For the many thousands of us - daily visitors, one-time posters or just passive browsers - this is a singular resource for the hobby and extends far beyond into the realms of 12" : 1' scale railways, roads, shipping and other related interests.  

I might not always have agreed with Andy or others within these electronic walls but I have been able to present the story of one major layout and show a couple more as they have lurched along. The international scope of the site, and the reach of the internet, meant I was fully involved for my years in Australia and even built there and showed in the UK a small N-gauge layout.  Despite Guinness declining to accept my claim (because they could not independently verify it) I remain of the opinion that this was perhaps the farthest-travelled working model railway layout.  Without RMweb, and specifically in that case without its South West Area Group (SWAG) this would not have happened.  As a point of honour I also retain the Down Under Railway Modellers (DURM) image in my signature; most of my modelling was done there after all.  

All the best for the next 15 years.  And a virtual bevvy or few to the boss, Mr. Andy York.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

I joined while still working, when I was planning a retirement layout.

I've now been retired for some time, I'm still planning the layout

(although much closer to starting), but as well as learning a lot from the forum, I've found it has filled the gap in comaradary and banter I used to have while working

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I joined soon after it had left BRM and have enjoyed many a good time, and many a bad time with many people of the years, it's no secret that I was even a moderator for a while but with changes in legal requirements the opportunity to take that task back in house meant Andy made us all "redundant". You lot really wouldn't believe some of the stuff we had to deal with, a lot of which we removed from public view vert quickly preventing most even being aware, some of those who have left to other places were guilty of real nastiness and then had the cheek to publically throw tantrums when called out. Yes, I really enjoyed those times :D

I've not "got" much from RMWeb but I enjoy helping people (don't do so much these days) and sharing information.

I've given up railway modelling now but still enjoy looking at models, of all gauges and standards.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

23rd February 2017 was the day I joined RMweb. It’s fair to say that having never been part of an online forum before, the site took a bit of getting used to regarding different locations for posts and what should/shouldn’t be posted. But after a while I got the gist of how RMweb worked and haven’t really looked back since. As someone who is used to being told what to do on a daily basis, I soon became acquainted with the format and rules of the site. 

Although occasionally I would ‘lurk’ long before I joined I must thank @Phil Bullock for encouraging me to join. It all started when I was doing a shift on the on-train buffet on the SVR. He was having a day out with his wife Teri and when I first noticed him I thought, ‘He’s the man who owns that fantastic model of Abbotswood Junction.’ having served them some refreshments, I asked Phil, ‘You’re not into the world of model railways are you at all?’ After a chat, he mentioned RMweb, and the rest is history. Living ‘reasonably’ close to me, it was a privilege to invite him and his brother-in-law along to a Burns Night we held back in January, as we often communicate away from RMweb. Thanks once again for everything Phil!

Although I don’t regularly attend exhibitions, gradually I have put a few names to faces, such as Ian (@RedgateModels) who most kindly gave my class 20 a once over at Warley last year, @Phil Parker who I also met at Warley, Chris (@Gilbert) who I saw at Cheltenham a few years ago with his layout ‘Dock Street Sidings’ and I seem to recall was very informative about building small layouts and Drew Fermor (@Castle) who leads the annual tours of Didcot Railway Centre. 

And there are those who I haven’t met in person but have been very friendly and encouraging, such as those who commented on my cakebox entry back in 2017-18, and many other members who have also been friendly when discussing a myriad of different topics. But a big thank you must go to Andy Y who gives up practically all his time to keeping this site running. 

There have been so many significant memories of this site, but if I had to pick one it would probably being the site’s ‘drone correspondent’ when I was the unlucky member who was caught up in the disruption at Gatwick in December 2018, while on my way out to The Gambia. I remember posting photos of the departure screen showing everything as ‘cancelled’, and sending a quick missive to @Ben A, our resident BBC journalist, offering my services for an interview. 

Here’s to another 15 years!

Edited by SVRlad
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday RMweb :) I joined back in 2009 and it’s been hugely helpful in information and suggestions that have made my daft schemes possible. The best bit though is the bunch of mates I’ve met through  the forum when we all started helping out on layouts through mutual friends. Several of us have been through tough times and there’s been real support in bad times plus a lot of fun too. Too many times the web gets blamed for bad stuff but here’s just a few of the culprits for the very best that it can do ;)

4A8C6D05-C310-4B61-AA58-E84634B60A90.jpeg.e88654d1f7c751ce568140320482f469.jpeg

• Like 8