Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

RMweb is 15

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I do have one complaint though. Over the years RMweb has become a rather sprawling place. A map of the forum would be good, but they are hard to come by. So I’ve made a map. Not a bid for any prize, just a bit of fun :)

Wow.  Just brilliant.  Well done that man. 

That's the second great tonic for current affairs today.  The other one was Radio 4's PM programme playing the London 2012 opening ceremony theme 'Underworld - Caliban's Dream' to cheer everyone up just before 6pm this evening.  If you didn't hear it, try it on YouTube: I challenge you not to smile while you're listening.

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Typo & last sentence added.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Happy birthday RMweb!

I'm sat here in the Danish lockdown and thinking how RMweb is yet again proving itself to be more than just a hobby forum, now in very troubling times. It’s strange to think back over your own life for the past 15 years and realize that RMweb has been here all that time. My children have grown up and started their own lives in the meantime!

For me the forum has been an invaluable source of inspiration, fun and sometimes more serious conversations. As others abroad have said, without RMweb it would have been a much more lonely affair to model UK outline here in Denmark. Although most of the interaction is online it does feel like real relationships – which of course it is, there are real people behind the avatars (though I do wonder sometimes :jester:).

And thanks Andy. RMweb is essentially created by the members, but none of it would be possible without your original idea and perseverance at all hours of the day. I know it’s a job now, but I bet it’s a lot more than that. Must feel pretty good to have made something that means so much to so many (well that came out Churchillian, have a cigar!).

I do have one complaint though. Over the years RMweb has become a rather sprawling place. A map of the forum would be good, but they are hard to come by. So I’ve made a map. Not a bid for any prize, just a bit of fun :)

(click to enlarge)

rmwebmap001.jpg.95c3beb0528ba6a52d443d7beeb9c62e.jpg

Wonderfull map but as with most, sadly out of date.  Where is the Golden (members) temple of worship !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

At the bottom, next to Legolas   

Hehehe completely missed it :good_mini: 

But surely that should be at the top  up in the clouds !

Edited by Mattc6911
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Happy birthday RMweb!

I'm sat here in the Danish lockdown and thinking how RMweb is yet again proving itself to be more than just a hobby forum, now in very troubling times. It’s strange to think back over your own life for the past 15 years and realize that RMweb has been here all that time. My children have grown up and started their own lives in the meantime!

For me the forum has been an invaluable source of inspiration, fun and sometimes more serious conversations. As others abroad have said, without RMweb it would have been a much more lonely affair to model UK outline here in Denmark. Although most of the interaction is online it does feel like real relationships – which of course it is, there are real people behind the avatars (though I do wonder sometimes :jester:).

And thanks Andy. RMweb is essentially created by the members, but none of it would be possible without your original idea and perseverance at all hours of the day. I know it’s a job now, but I bet it’s a lot more than that. Must feel pretty good to have made something that means so much to so many (well that came out Churchillian, have a cigar!).

(click to enlarge)

rmwebmap001.jpg.95c3beb0528ba6a52d443d7beeb9c62e.jpg

Very, very clever. And funny, of course.

This would be good coming from an English academic. From a non-native English speaker, it is simply amazing.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Who. or what, are we Gold Members supposing to be worshipping?

Please your worshipfullness  he dont know who hes meant to be worshipipipipiping. I think you need bigger boots to kick him up the orifiss wiv Sir, your worshipfullness Sir :angel:

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I thought Chris Nevard was Gandalf? 

:D

image.png.0675363c6b0acd8c77ba4efc74254e1e.png

(one of his self portraits)

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Probably the new World Currency...

image.png.489f160846b0b34493e0bec45ed89fcd.png.75a86181c19d88d7355845463e519815.png

That's definitely a c£@₱ joke.

Unfortunately, I suspect somebody might have got their quantities slightly wrong.

If there'd been 12 packs of 12 - or even 8 packs of 18 - it would genuinely have been (a) gross.

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

If there'd been 12 packs of 12 - or even 8 packs of 18 - it would genuinely have been (a) gross.

You actually counted how many packs there are? Wow, someone's bored in self-isolation already!!! :jester:

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Looks nearer to "two"/"too" gross!

Absolutely.

In all honesty, I couldn't care less exactly how many "gross" it all adds up to - unless they're stocks / deliveries for shops or hospitals, quantities like that strike me as just plain excessive - quite frankly disgraceful.

After all, it's not like it was for somebody who really needs it - like one very senior government minister (according to a report on the front page of a very recent newspaper).

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

You actually counted how many packs there are? Wow, someone's bored in self-isolation already!!! :jester:

Thankfully, I've so far managed to avoid needing self-isolation. This is just as well, because my mother is in her late 70s and not in the best of health. I'm not convinced that she'd fare too well if she caught a certain bug.

This means that, like a number of people, I seem to be spending excessive amounts of time queueing in local supermarkets - playing a constant, frustrating and completely unwanted, game of "spot the essential supplies" - with failure not being an acceptable option.

However, when I get home, I then have significant amounts of time to kill (and I'm expecting more - much more) - which is why I've recently been trying to think of unofficial modelmaking challenges for myself.

Of course, time will tell if any of these challenges actually turn out to be needed ... .

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Probably best if we return to the "RMweb is 15" theme.

I'm afraid I've only been here since late 2009. I've mentioned previously that a number of factors drew me towards joining this site:

*  I was looking for some inspiration / information for a build project - so I was searching the internet around then.

*  About then, I also visited the Cardiff model railway show, at the then university campus on Colchester Avenue. Whilst I was looking at a micro layout, I had a very pleasant chat with its builder, who turned out to be a member of this site. When I got home, I decided to check this site out - it was down for a few days, due to one of the site rebuilds.

*  Meanwhile, on another site, some guy who'd just been (deservedly) banished to the "ex-list" had just posted a very tedious rant about how "hard done by" he thought he was. I didn't much care for his "woe is me" routine. I was, however, rather more impressed with the fact that this individual had been shown the door - it was clear that this site had proper "mods" and an "admin" who didn't take kindly to troublemakers.

Suffice to say that, when the site rebuild was complete, I was very quick to join this site.

Since then, I've encountered a lot of decent, helpful, people - a number of whom I've had the privilege of getting to know as friends.

I've also been provided with a lot of help, advice, information and encouragement with various projects.

I now come to a question: If I'd known then what my time on this site would be like, would I have joined late in 2009?

Of course, the answer is "no".

I would have joined about four and a half years earlier - assuming, of course that I'd actually known about this site's existence.

I'm glad that Andy started this site - I'm also glad that this site still exists and continues to evolve.

Thanks for the years so far - here's to the next 15 years.

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
Part of post went AWOL ... .
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Probably best if we return to the "RMweb is 15" theme.

Tread drift happens in all the best threads! Even Mornington Crescent and the Jokes thread get it. Helps to check who is paying attention and if AndyY is awake.

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4