Klondyke siding, origins of the word....?

18B

• RMweb Gold

There was of course Crimea Yard at Westbourne Park - which happened to come into use about the time of a well known military exciursion to the Black Sea area.  Aberdare Sidings  at Old Oak Common happened to be where trains of coal empties for South Wales were put together.  The siding between Southall shed and the Down Main Line was the Coke Road.   The Exchange (siding) at Oxford was where traffic was at one time exchanged between the GWR and LNWR.  One which always amused me was the Long Siding on the Up side at Westbury - why amusing?  It wasn't the longest road at the east end of the Up Yard although it had been at one time.

'BR2975' has already mentioned 'Bog Sidings' in the Cardiff area and he was perhaps thinking of Radyr where part of the Down Yard was known as 'the Bog' - for reasons which still became obvious, although not badly by the 1970s, when it rained.

On a different tack the GWR was notorious for getting its railway place names slightly (or worse) different from local place names - an really good example is Foxhall Junction at Didcot with the nearest non-railway features being Vauxhall Lane and Vauxhall Farm.  Or Lockinge Signal Box which was a lot nearer to Ardington than it was to Lockinge

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I knew I'd heard of a Turkey Yard somewhere in Glasgow but couldn't think where.

It was at Cowlairs and named after the United Turkey Red Company whose wagons were marshalled there. 

https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/T/Turkey_Yard/

BTW nothing to do with large edible birds but the dyeing and printing of fabrics!

https://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSE01120

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/03/2020 at 22:16, Trog said:

Rugby had the Down Independent Sidings.

So named as they were laid out in the year one of Parnell's Home Rule candidates had a shock byelection victory in staunchly Unionist County Down?

Edited by Compound2632
County Down not Count Down - don't think they had that gameshow in the 1880s!

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

.................................On a different tack the GWR was notorious for getting its railway place names slightly (or worse) different from local place names - an really good example is Foxhall Junction at Didcot with the nearest non-railway features being Vauxhall Lane and Vauxhall Farm.  Or Lockinge Signal Box which was a lot nearer to Ardington than it was to Lockinge

Not just them.

Hemel Hempstead Station is in Boxmoor.

Tring Station is in the village of Tring Station, and hence should be Tring Station Station.

Cheddington Station is in the middle of nowhere.

Leighton Buzzard Station is in Linslade.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Trog said:

Tring Station is in the village of Tring Station, and hence should be Tring Station Station.

I'm sure there are other examples where the settlement takes its name from the railway station though, frustratingly, none spring to mind.

There's the well-known tale of the visitor to Dent who enquired why the station was so far from the town (4 miles and 600 ft up), getting the reply: 'Appen they wanted it by t'railway line.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm sure there are other examples where the settlement takes its name from the railway station though, frustratingly, none spring to mind.

There's the well-known tale of the visitor to Dent who enquired why the station was so far from the town (4 miles and 600 ft up), getting the reply: 'Appen they wanted it by t'railway line.

Llandudno Junction?

Andi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Ferryhill Station, on the ECML south of Durham?

• Like 1

Buxton Up Relief Sidings goes by the name of Donnahue Sidings or various spellings of including Donnarue. I couldn't seem to get an exact spelling when I asked on a Facebook group for Buxton TMD and ex drivers from there.

Cheers Paul 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Carstairs Junction, 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

BR once shortened the GWR's Knowle and Dorridge to just Knowle. Unfortunately it was a long way from Knowle and right in the middle of Dorridge, so eventually it got renamed again.

Hatton station is closer to Shrewley than Hatton and Lapworth station is in Kingswood.

Berkswell and Balsall Common was renamed Berkswell although it is in Balsall Common, a much larger place than Berkswell.

Moving to Kernow, Grampound Road village is at the site of the former Grampound Road station, a good long walk from Grampound. Gwinear Road station was at the point where Gwinear Road met Station Road but neither end up in Gwinear.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Conversely, there's the - possibly apocryphal - story of the American tourist in Ireland commenting "Gee that's a nice castle - shame they built it so close the railroad."

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Conversely, there's the - possibly apocryphal - story of the American tourist in Ireland commenting "Gee that's a nice castle - shame they built it so close the railroad."

or the more well known, American looking at Windsor Castle, Why did they build it so near the airport?

Here in Norfolk we are famous for getting furiners confuddled.

Buxton Station no not the one in Derbyshire, But Buxton with Lamas to give it's full title got a few people sent to the wrong place.

Roys of Wroxham a department store never was in Wroxham but in Hoveton, as it still is, so named because the nearby station was called Wroxham station which was also in Hoveton. Now it's called Hoveton and Wroxham station.

Today Wroxham Minature worlds is also in Hoveton not in Wroxham,  https://wroxhamminiatureworlds.co.uk/

The Bure Valley Railway also has a Wroxham station in Hoveton Not Wroxham, https://www.bvrw.co.uk/

RAF Coltishall who's gates were in Scotow, RAF Neatishead within sight of Horning...

PS,

Wroxham is the south side of the river in Broadland Distirct,

Hoveton is on the North side of the river in North Norfolk..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

To say nothing of those walled cities where the medieval builders thoughtfully provided an arch for the railway - York, Conway...

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 21:36, pH said:

There is a lane in Greenock called 'The Dardanelles'. It runs beside what was the site of the headquarters of the 5th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, who fought at Gallipoli. However, it was named several decades before WW1. 

https://sonofskye.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/the-dardanelles-greenock/

I'm sure I heard of that name for a set of sidings in Glasgow as well.

Perhaps an appropriate name in the town of James Watt for running an train full of Orangemen through Port Glasgow !

Not quite the same thing but Eaglescillfe on Teesside should have been either Preston on Tees or Egglescliffe, both a couple of miles away. Stories differ about the name - some say it was a signwriting error that went uncorrected until it stuck. I've also heard that it was an error by the first Ordnance Survey.