My mainly BR Blue workbench

I decided to revisit an old Lima Class 40 which I had resprayed years ago. I'm refitting the etched cab window surrounds as I was never happy with the 'not quite flush' glazing, and I've also fitted cab side window dividing bars. I'll touch up the paint and get the numbers on next. I decided to re-motor it after picking up a couple of suitable Bachmann bogies at a great price from EKM at Modelrail Scotland. I fabricated new bogie mounting points from plastic sheet and here's the progress so far:

IMG_7404.JPG

IMG_7405.JPG

IMG_7406.JPG

IMG_7407.JPG

IMG_7408.JPG

Edited by forest2807
Typo
  • Like 9

Look forward to seeing how this develops, the Lima 40 wasn't a bad model by their standards and in fact much of the bodyshell was better than the later Bachmann offering, so much so that I and others cut the Bachmann cabs off and glued them on a Lima centre section. The latest shawplan windscreen etches are superb and when couple with Laserglaze make a massive difference to the look of the loco.

On 18/03/2020 at 21:26, pinzaboy said:

Like the look of that!

Are the weights in the nose end original lima or have you added them?

Tim

The extra weights are taken from a Hornby Class 25 - they have been in my spares box for ages. I have used overhead projector film for glazing rather than the excellent but more expensive Laserglaze product. I simply attached the film (cut to size, obviously) to the back of the cab windscreen etch with a smear of varnish and then attached the etch to the Lima body. I had to touch up the paint and it isn't as smooth as I'd like but I may smooth it with wet and dry paper (used wet) and cutting compound. The black rubber grommets around the windows were simply applied with a black Sharpie pen.

IMG_2772.JPG

Edited by forest2807
Better photo used
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a spare couple of hours today so I had a root around my spares box and found a Bachmann motor and 21 pin PCB so they are now powering the hybrid Class 40 which has assumed the identity of 083. I used the PCB in case one day I decide to add lights (highly unlikely); the alternative would have been to simply solder the pickups to the motor.

She still requires data panels and double arrows, and I think I have an etched roof fan and grille somewhere.

128A7980-E3C8-451C-8EC3-847720E861AA.jpeg

D7CAB926-5C32-4D2D-869C-A1E513A8ED2E.jpeg

946FAF87-BE76-47FB-86C5-84F0F9D62486.jpeg

41979DBA-B147-4D33-B849-756425340C69.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I had a spare Airfix Mk2d FO chassis and interior (body is to be sacrificed for a BFK project) so after purchasing a Bachmann bodyshell off eBay I married them up to create a MK2f FO. I know the underframe details are wrong, they might get fixed one day or they might not. The bufferbeams needed a few thou filing off the faces and it was a tight squeeze to get the two to fit because the Bachmann shell has an accurate tumblehome which continues onto the inner bodyside at the bottom, making it quite thick, thicker than the Airfix equivalent anyway.

0837ADDC-3ADE-4AC6-AAF2-9C5637B89BF5.jpeg

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Just when I thought I’d model something a little different and (to me at least) special, George Dent goes and produces 44009 in the May edition of Modelrail!

I rebuilt the nose at the number collision damaged end rather than sacrificing a 45/46 body . I haven’t yet attacked the roof or the bodyside grilles - that is next on the agenda, and you will see from the plasticard filler strip that my first attempt at the bonnet seam did not pass muster.

039105A4-3A85-468A-B304-6719F0C46027.jpeg

7EE690D9-CBD1-43DC-BFA6-AE23C3733266.jpeg

352CE22B-E4F1-4FE5-9E91-5F9CE62E381A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2