Dinfield and Norton Rd - Will Pwllheli solve all my problems?

pirouets

• RMweb Gold

So the backscene and my claim to it possible being the most expensive on RMweb. Last Sunday I popped out to B&Q to pick up some light blue paint. Total cost £2.60. So far so good UNTIL...

I had parked by one of the trolley parks with the barrier on the passenger side of the car. Only problem is as I pulled out I forgot it was there and turned left in to it (What a nincompoop / wally, ejit, :jester: :banghead:etc) and the picture below tells the story. So now I have to add the roughly £500 of body work repairs plus the tyre, the back scene should be well north of £600ish. And people complain about the price of rolling stock.

1104431826_rearpassengerDoor2small.jpg.c46eb0065835c30f5436035f43c42a7d.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So the backscene came in just over £700 as a tyre was also needed to fix the car as well as the body work. Think my shed was only about £1000 when I had it put in 15 years ago. Oh well.

So rather than fret about that, been back modelling and making the roof for the low relief cottages and station building. There are patches where I got glue on the printed tiles that has caused it to go green but happy with that as it could be sunshine / staining / moss, etc. On the low relief cottages though I got the chimney angle wrong so may slice the roof off and do it again.

Now what to do for making chimneys? I could order some or find something around 3 to 4 mm that could be painted up.

I've also made a hedge from rubberised horse hair. I got a simple pack from world war scenics plus added some longer grass to the riverside which gives it a bot more depth.

281020_1_small.jpg.867f3d1b3c25c8642b13888697af26de.jpg

281020_2_small.jpg.66bbed6dcc95ca6cb85e5735c381a49f.jpg

Edited by pirouets
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've started playing around with ideas for Dinfield. It's not a huge board so I am adapting the Scalescenes industrial buildings to be low relief combined with the free low relief warehouse. The fencing will be set about 8ft from the track so there will be room for a van to have backed in to the space to pick up/drop off goods.

071120_1_small.jpg.d395ad163e83b2a38c20df411f670498.jpg

A bit further along I am thinking of having low relief terraced houses. These would be the ends as though the road runs down to the station. My initial mock up is a bit under sized it turns out but it helps me start to get a sense of the spacing as well as the gap between the line and the walls which again I am setting at around 8ft. The idea would be lots of rubbish and weed as you go from the line to the wall. Also with the article in BRM this month about graffiti, maybe some of that on the walls.

The question I need to think about though is how close do the houses get to the station, or do I have a larger low relief by the station to represent shops or town buildings.

071120_2_small.jpg.f4ea65fd9ed26a74abae569a009048f9.jpg

Edited by pirouets

11 hours ago, pirouets said:

The question I need to think about though is how close do the houses get to the station, or do I have a larger low relief by the station to represent shops or town buildings.

There was often an alleyway linking the ends of the houses, which in more modern times allowed cars to do a 3 point turn. So ends of the rows of houses would be right. A wall between the alley and the houses would help disguise the joint between the layout and backscene. Very shallow low relief buildings can often look odd when shown in photos, so you might want to think about other viewblockers such as advertising boards, trees etc somewhere on the layout.

Nick 

Edited by stivesnick
spelling mistake spotted

• RMweb Gold

Nick, I think the advertising boards are a great idea so added these to the mock up. The big board represents what according to google is the most common size in the UK at 20*10. With the houses being increased in size it won't be to bad. Having a look around Reading and the line up to Paddington, where terraced roads end by the line scrub and bushes by the wall / fence seem to be the. most common.

I am also wondering if your right about whether they do work by the station. That in turn has me wondering whether its the classic factory back by the station and model larger low relief terraces on the site where the industrial buildings are.

081120_1_small.jpg.28564365462f0c933ec6fed6a7b69b66.jpg

Edited by pirouets

• RMweb Gold

So following on from the last few posts a bit of a change happened and Dinfield is now a through station. The key reason is one of the things I enjoy is making buildings and I just couldn't get my head round what went along the back. Having looked at Underhill Yard a few times I realised I had the right track formation so the changes are

1. Add a road bridge across the end along that the platform runs through and model 1/2 the station

2. Platform 2 now becomes a siding for a large warehouse/factory

3. I will have room for another factory / warehouse behind the platform

4. The industrial buildings I created can carry on as planned

5. One of the sidings is then set a bit shorter than the other leaving room for a yard office by the road bridge. I'll take the kink out of the track in siding 1.

6. I can still build the car yard at the opposite end of the layout

Operationally the warehouse will take VDA's and box wagons whilst the other 2 sidings can take anything dropped off in them.

Just need to work out if I should have a signal box somewhere.

Hopefully my typing is clear enough for the 2 pictures.

091120_1_small.jpg.63377f3b3f60a8a56a9c33a7a3f05237.jpg

091120_2_small.jpg.c9e56c639cc1b2a4e54e767b3a86da7c.jpg

Edited by pirouets
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So as I said in the previous post, one of the reasons for the moment of megalomania and changing one of the stations was so I had far more options for buildings. been popping out the shed on and off today and you can see the progress. Interestingly the prints for these came out around 10% smaller that the spare sheets I had already but after figuring out why I decide to keep the reduction. Its still going to be big at 70cm in length (Nearly 200 ft)

Pic 1 shows the idea that there will be a loading bay and the left hand part of the building will but up to the platform.

131120_1_small.jpg.51cd01b5bb6310f3943ea3ec15f1a090.jpg

Pic 2 shows progress (but not the sore fingers) having cut out openings and starting to add the brick layers

131120_2_small.jpg.0717dbb793dce2346c09a0b464154c15.jpg

Pic 3 is posed as it gives a better view of how I see the buildings sitting alongside the station. I need to work out whether there will be a ramp for the platform or have the siding butt right up to the end of the platform.

131120_3_small.jpg.9796ef481ae2e6b1a7843e004d973a59.jpg

Edited by pirouets
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Another week and more sticking and gluing. The centre and right hand end have been stuck together now and what you cannot see is the warehouse platform behind the VDA's. I have made a boo boo though. If you look closely you will see the centre section lintels look different. That's because I stuck the overlay layer on the wrong way up. Whilst I can't get the piece off again I can add extra of the brick lintel course so they match. 

211120_small.jpg.62dc12377dd8d52a91b1a593f6477698.jpg

Edited by pirouets

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Of all the things achieved in the last few weeks, the best is the fact I have a better way of heating the shed. I always ended up with cold feet so I now have 1 heater running under the controls and a 2nd heater when needed part way down the shed. Neither run above 50% power and as such I'm consuming less power than having 1 on full blast, but the shed heats up far quicker. Once at temp is up, then just leave the one at my feet to keep by toes warm.

In the mean time been thinking about the fencing for Norton Rd and used some Scale Model Scenery 4ft wooded as I had it left over. Not fitted obviously as the debate now is how to paint it / weather it or do I just leave it as the card its made from already gives it a bit of a grimy worn look.

161220_3_small.jpg.2824269f8b77d76d26686165414b9e7f.jpg

Over the other side there is now a bridge over the end of the layout. You'll notice the weird platform under the bridge but it needs to be that shape due to the radius of the curve. Its more to give the impression the platform runs under the bridge anyway. What I do with the space next to the station is still to be worked out. It will be a factory building of some sort but just not sure what.

161220_2_small.jpg.c056ff4fed833f14fc7b27e54f2f8647.jpg

The other building has come on quite nicely and it sits over the station platform well. What I really do need to do next though is stop making buildings and paint the baseboard brown. Nothing is fixed in place yet so no issue with that.

161220_1_small.jpg.6eaa455e603bbded59e8d14ab5cd0ebe.jpg

Looking forward to Christmas and getting more time out there.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So had a google for 1970s industrial office buildings and found a picture of the Record Electrical Co in Altringham that gave me the idea for a simple building to fill the remaining space. The template was put together in good old powerpoint and below are a couple of sheets of card with the idea of the building.

281220_1_small.jpg.873952ffadb0a34dfadd012df1475e8a.jpg

That was then simply wrapped in brick paper and the windows which were also created in powerpoint added in. As its quite visible I do plan to start to fill the space and have some office furniture packs from Scale Model Scenery. What I don't have is people to sit at those desks but that can come later.

281220_2_small.jpg.3f76ce6db0eb920386409584bb4f5d64.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst I haven't been on here for a while managed to spend a fair amount of time in the shed. When not binge watching Greys Anatomy or The Man in the High Castle on my tablet, I have managed to get most of the external work on the warehouse done. The roof has come out OK given its just a grey paint stippled on the card with a darker colour the dry brushed on to it.

I've also fitted the last point motors which led to everyone's favourite task, BALLASTING. Only issue is I am a small amount short of being able to complete the job and I cannot remember which brand it actually is. Its been sitting in a tin labelled fine grey ballast. I'm pretty sure its Woodland Scenic's but is it the grey or light grey? Guess I need to order both bags.

120121_1_small.jpg.e4be5d55e9f1676f58f7cbae19f56893.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst I am fed up of working at home, the advantage is that I have spent a lot more time in the shed. I often spend a couple of hours in the shed after everyone else has gone to bed as I don't have to get up to commute anywhere. Over the last 5 weeks lots of trying things out has gone on on the Dinfield side of the layout.

First up was to figure out how I want the yard area. I tried mocking up a few building ideas which in order were

Small yard shed

150221_1_small.jpg.e7d9d1ccbe01b75fd762f53059f810f7.jpg

Larger yard building

150221_2_small.jpg.35aff116d0b46be694c21426c5e283f9.jpg

Or even have a go at making a provender store. I may have another go using thinner card for the concrete framing

150221_3_small.jpg.9cd8d2d7d7673899a36d04002f58f3ac.jpg

But in the end I simply went for a concrete area. This has been extended since I took this phot so it fills the area up to the 2nd siding. I need to in fill a few small ballast gaps and then its time for weeding but in reverse so it doesn't look like they spray weed killer every week.

150221_4_small.jpg.0b398592ccf1919f6c3bc1e09897e121.jpg

In an earlier post you may have seen an office building, but I decided I didn't think it worked so another warehouse building has appeared. I may actually redo this so I don't have the gaps in the brick framing of the building at the edges. However before I do bin this I will have a play around with the roof to look for something better that the scalescenes strips.

150221_5_small.jpg.cef7850d24cbca856e1b4018dff9d419.jpg

Looking down the layout, the warehouse has gained a canopy and I have started adding dirt to the ballast so it doesn't look so clean.

150221_6_small.jpg.cc8993620ef9428b72ac04c9b0ae5996.jpg

At the other end again playing about with ideas and wondering if a set of terraced houses will work better. The design I came up with should have a brick shed on the back of the building but I think in the space I have I will make 2 changes which are to add the missing upstairs window, then not fit the brick shed and put the back door below the window on the back of the house. There will then be a small yard area leading to the back wall. Again I will keep working on these though to get my head round mistakes I need to avoid. One of the changes I made is to wrap the brick paper rather than have each piece papered. This means there are no joins in the paper at the edges giving a cleaner build.

150221_7_small.jpg.f9da8de2c29a65f8e1bf02434bc9f42b.jpg

At some point I really much play trains. maybe later.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So lots of pottering in the last month and currently distracted by taking up the gold offer to get access to all the BRMs since 2007 (been a subscriber for a about 18 months now). The only thing to show for this is the Mk2 version of the houses. The initial idea as you can see was a single story kitchen off the back but this doesn't quite fit with the window sills. So plan mk2.5 is to mock up the back piece at full height so it will more resemble the house I used to live in years ago in West Reading.

160321_1_small.jpg.7b33caa9585f26ac998c5e8c9b64a34f.jpg

I've also found a little tripod gizmo that holds my phone meaning I can get better pictures of the layout as I can hold the camera better. In trying this I have taken a couple of down the line shots which I think work OK and are useful in working out what I need to do to add detail.  I think weeds for sure are missing.

190321_2_small.jpg.0b4faab0045bd7b49214988fc36ba669.jpg

190321_4_small.jpg.4ad84008d9e16ac88c80dcf8240284f6.jpg

I've also had a go at taking a few more arty shots. which haven't come out to badly. Need clear up after a recent storm blew through at the garage.

190321_7_small.jpg.b27f14be9d1140ea35aed6a9bd2a83f4.jpg

Think I need someone on this path walking a dog, and a fisherman.

190321_8_small.jpg.be8fe850136236bb69e1f430033e6da9.jpg

I like this one the best but I do need to figure out the scene behind the station platform. is it a building or do I just need a better backscene.

190321_9_small.jpg.598e49c19dfca4dc454e87aaddc41bc2.jpg

Now off to play with Excel as I think I have the fiddle yard loaded with 8 trains in the way I want them, but what sort of timetable to run. The aim will be that each train runs to a point where it can be reversed, and then have the 2nd part of the timetable to put everything back where it started for the start of the next session.

190321_5_small.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

More work on the terraced buildings. I've settled for the classice design of a small bedroom and kitchen off the back. Again the design was drawn in power point and glued to 1.5mm mount board.

260321_1_small.jpg.e36c1c05aacc5c724a27d408ccf4ffa1.jpg

I have various sets of scaleglaze windows so these have been used for the whole building along with scalescenes doors.

260321_2_small.jpg.4bed112efe90fe11bbe91a0b2aef5459.jpg

And finally we get a view like this. Next step will be to create the garden/yard walling whilst I think about roof options.

260321_3_small.jpg.f6bfa376492d13ac764fcacb96ab2e80.jpg

Edited by pirouets
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Been a lazy slob today and decided to crack on with thinking about the timetable. One of the key aims to run everything in a pattern that returns the fiddle yards back to the same positions and the conundrum has been how to track that. So over to trsty Microsoft Excel and I have come up with he following format. The Fiddle yard table represents the end state after the move. You may also note I have added the various platforms and sidings to show where a train may terminate. 

In terms of reversing I have 3 options

1. Run to the sidings at Norton Rd and reverse

2. Run to the sidings at Dinfield and reverse

3. Run to the sidings at Dinfield and then send to the branch. Then have the choice of running back from the branch to starting position in FY or reversing.

Think this will be a job to do in stints. I've done the 1st 12 moves for now. I may do a weekend version as well if I feel mad enough.

image.png.6b6e4aae9c9cb553d590cad07a8c2589.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst I like using scalescenes kits and papers, I have often found the roof tiles don't come out that well and stain quite badly. So had a look at Scalemodelscenery and bought a pack of their pre-weathered roof tiles. As well as giving a bit more depth to the roof, the random moss / bird poo brings things out better. So first up was to redo the cottages that sit behind the line. I need to add a bit more detail around the chimney bases but happy with the result so far

060421_1_small.jpg.877004541dc08c01ca77affda070da0e.jpg

Then I ripped the roof of the scratch built station building for Norton Rd and replaced the tiles. I need to look at capping tiles for the apex of the roof and barge boards nut again happy with the change so far. Its time I sorted the doors out for this building and wondering whether or not to have some form of canopy. I might just add a shelter further down the platform.

060421_2_small.jpg.7e9dddd5b3b7c1cfe3b9e409ea8f3f76.jpg

Edited by pirouets
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Why on earth am I trying to make some form of soup - Looking up how to use sea foam trees, I watched a Luke Towan video an took his advice to soak everything in boiling water. After that I hung them on the line to dry. To add weight to the pegs I attached a couple of those generic Ikea screws.

180421_1_small.jpg.1f5efb314d9866dd8f49a6be4da65a74.jpg

180421_2_small.jpg.e24bf7f4b9dc3f6aa97f8e514e38026b.jpg

Once they had dried out, I added a base coat of grey and then my track dirt spray for the base colour. Some of the stems had come out better than others so the poorest ones which are used as trees right up against the backscene were done first using the finest cheap hairspray and then 2mm static grass.

180421_3_small.jpg.2271dce5cbac13149f199aa0b4131ad6.jpg

180421_4_small.jpg.858e9eb8c1d4ba733c8249ff32071828.jpg

I then repeated on the stems to be used at the front and planted them. They are not glued in yet as I need to think more about the ground cover that will be under the trees but quite pleased. I've also been working on a signal box but not sure its quite right though with the trees added it doesn't stand out quite as much. 

180221_6_small.jpg.0132d80747dccec34fe8202eb613683d.jpg

180421_7_small.jpg.abeafe1f3c49287a10193a1d719f6a79.jpg

Edited by pirouets
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For a long time I have been mulling over what to do behind the station platform at Norton Rd. In pottering around yesterday I found at some point I had ordered a woodland scenics tree kit. ISo rather than make the trees up, pulling the canopy material apart it forms scrubby bushes behind the station. At the moment it is just put in place but I plan to take it out and add a little light green scatter along with some reddish scatter to represent berries.

The other question in my mind is whether to get a photo backscene on the layout or not. I guess my worry is can I mount it correctly and not ruin things.

010521_small.jpg.7579b65d324943f29d4a7f452aeab7fa.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Been playing around with additional layers for the ground cover and 1st attempts have focused on adding scatter to beef up the look. Only problem is the smell left by the cheap hairspray which did leave me wondering if I should have worn a mask.

020521_1_small.jpg.44cdc317724fea7a131681eecba666a1.jpg

This also got me thinking about the roots of the tree which are a bit to prominent for my liking so a bit of scatter hides them quite nicely.

020521_3_small.jpg.5a7c60f4436bfc35ee5825e6baa8ff66.jpg

Mean while a few locals have ventured out for the 1st time since covid hit last year (and the time the layout was started.) There is another cane further down the river bank as well.

Wish I could figure out an angle to get this shot without the base board edge - any idea's gratefully received.

020521_2_small.jpg.0e83fe47e218ed5a7169a145a6211a61.jpg

Finally I was having a play with various angles across the layout and this hasn't turned out to bad. I'm thinking it may be time to learn about depth of field and image stacking as it I could my the fishermen from the last picture and have him at 1 side of it. Also may be a small number of reeds pocking out of the water.

020521_4_small.jpg.547336fc475ca65485f6d851385a25f6.jpg

Hopefully get time to go and start on the roofing for the terraced houses tomorrow as a delivery was received from Scale Model Scenery with a couple of sets of tiles. A couple of friends are trying to say we should use the booking we have at the pub but rain and 30mph winds don't sound appealing.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not been in the shed recently given the heat but everything seems to have survived. It did peak at 108F though not sure how accurate the thermometer is. What amazed me today is how well things ran given the track was filthy. The Hornby HM6000 has made things easier for sure.

Last few weeks has been looking getting a signal box built for Norton Rd. First of all I tried the Scalescenes (R010) but decided it wasn't quite right. I also tried a ratio model but couldn't get the steps assembled well enough so 3rd up was Metcalfe. However given everything is built using scalescenes brick paper I have changed the base. In a nutshell I cut the base of the stone base in the kit (there are 2 shells in the kit luckily) and made my own. I then built the top part before a couple of attempts to them build and attach a base. The only thing is despite it being based on the measurements of the Metcalfe kit the steps don't reach the ground. 

240721_3_small.jpg.8ab10fa933877a8453b3972289f75204.jpg

Only problem is the phot has made me realise I messed up the brick lintels. Hmm, base mk2 maybe needed.

So i thought I should see what the view up and down the line is like and prepared to say, not bad, not bad at all. Its nice when the idea in your head actually starts to come together.

240721_1_small.jpg.62d1342a8db12a6178e37dcca31a52ce.jpg

240721_2_small.jpg.37317f1b645e32da0a16000b2b1d0581.jpg

Over at Dinfield Rd, the house backs are coming on, but having got a signal box on the other station I am now wondering whether the low relief factory idea may have to change. Not an issue as everything is just plonked in place at the moment including the fence. The other idea would be that the signal box is just off scene. Won't rush in to anything.

240721_4_small.jpg.6bbb9952e1c86eba09a9f083ddb8a614.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So the bulldozer has been in an removed all the buildings. For a while now the station set-up had been bugging me as it felt to compressed. Nothing got thrown away and all the buildings have gone in to storage.

220821_3_small.jpg.43e3f9c93b2cb3b8e102c95e2aeb99b5.jpg

220821_2_small.jpg.34d7f0890f82320b9413ca6d0b93a0a1.jpg

I have an idea that the station actually is rebuilt centrally with houses or shops at either end. Not sure whether it will be backs or a road scene up to the lineside. Freight would run through the station but passenger trains would terminate here as further up the line is now only some remaining industry.

This does mean that where the box vans are sitting will have to go.

Before I make any changes though I will get some drawings done as the other idea is to have this back as a terminus with a longer platform and the box van line would then be platform 2. 

220821_1_small.jpg.0b6782dc5162f289d9648f176811ad60.jpg

Either way enough work to keep me happy for a while and various buildings needed. The yard area will also need some thought as to buildings and loading areas. It may be that I treat it more as a set of exchange sidings for the branch that leaves which is also freight only.. (See pic 2)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, the plunge has been taken and the station isn't going to be central and I am back to the terminus idea. I have shortened one of the sidings slightly so I can have what today is used as a parcels platform. I am thinking the station building itself will one of those that is far grander than the town needed and be wrapped around the end of the station. From an electrics point of view I am lucky as there is an un-used switch wired up that can be used to power the track where the 33 is sitting.

Not going to rush to much and will mock things up first as having been shoe shopping for one of the kids, there are 4 empty boxes. (And to think their is a debate in another thread about whether modelling is luxury - kids cost way more :D )

250821_3_small.jpg.0f9e8efddc65a733853cbed24af66961.jpg

I also cut the length of the factory siding rather than remove it and that will remain there but a new smaller factory will be built.

250821_2_small.jpg.49a06a35ee9397c5a5a2bff51c2c068f.jpg

• RMweb Gold

So a quick bit of cutting and gluing mocked this up and glad I did because it made me realise the idea I had in my head is way to big. Whilst their will be an unloading platform on the left hand side, the building when I make it will ne about half the length seen here which in turn, leaves more room for a couple of vehicles in the yard area. The remaining question is whether I add a building that will run down a short length of the passenger platform or do something else.

280821_small.jpg.c55f185c704a811a038de539aedf165a.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Started playing with ideas for the platforms. In the past I have used Scalescenes papers for the surface but I find that you get the odd edge that lifts very slightly so with the rebuild in mind I thought how else can I do this and I have 2 ideas in mind

- The top piece simply has the paving carved in to the edge and was then painted by stippling the paint to get a slightly rough surface rather than seeing brush strokes on the card.

- The other option is to carve in the paving stones for the whole surface but i don't have the paints for this. I did make a mistake in the pattern which is why there are 2 pairs of rows where the slabs are laid side by side rather than off set though I have seen some station pictures where it is laid like that.

The only issue I did find is that the frog tape did pull slightly at the surface of the card but we will see how well it looks once paint the edge up. I also hope if I build up in layers I can get rid of the card join with the asphalt effect, where as for the paving stones it won't matter so much as long as the pattern lines up.

What I do know is that looking at these test pieces I will probably end up redoing all platforms on the layout and not just Dinfield.

300821_2_small.jpg.e1475f7a539270f6162fc9bffb126043.jpg 

• Like 2