Farish Due Soon

Crepello

Finally got hold of a Xc 170. Printing is very nice and underframe detail is separately picked out. Sadly there are no chassis upgrades, DCC or lights. I like it a lot but it is a bit pricey for what amounts to a model of c.2005 without the standard features we all now expect. My last 170 cost 80 notes - this is almost double that. It's an essential buy if you are a 170 fan but Dmus never seem that popular and I suspect at that price a lot will remain glued to the shelves. 

• Agree 2

One thing I did notice - both my 170 and 47 are a both a bit noisier than previous releases, even after running in. They are both very smooth on starting but I wonder if the motor spec or gearing is slightly different? 

It's not a massive deal but it's particularly noticeable now that most new releases are practically silent. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

55015 Tulyar arrived from Sheffield today. Farish have done a grand job replicating the FP livery when first applied. Confirmed that the 2 TOPS data panels on each side is correct and also the black buffer shanks.

• Thanks 1

Runs very well - all my Farish locos do, at least compared to the Dapol DMU, which sounds like a coffee grinder in comparison.  Colours may be a bit muted, looking at prototype photos. Rails fitted a Bachmann decoder so I set it up for a sensible maximum speed and tweaked the inertia and brake settings. 

• Like 1

On 20/10/2020 at 13:46, Crepello said:

55015 Tulyar arrived from Sheffield today. Farish have done a grand job replicating the FP livery when first applied. Confirmed that the 2 TOPS data panels on each side is correct and also the black buffer shanks.

No 'Rainhill Trials' plaque on the nose I see.

My dad took me to see this at Eastleigh 39 years ago when I was age 12...http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/15_17-10-81.htm#2776 

Hope to pick mine up at the weekend.

Edited by alan24

• RMweb Premium

That's right Alan--it wasn't applied till later (March 80 I think without checking). I was at the unveiling ceremony at FP. I recall a guy who was driving an 08 urging Allan Baker to hurry up as he had to pull  Tulyar out of the depot for its next working. I was also on the railtour that went via Eastleigh . There are some good pictures in the new Strathwood book (no connection with them) 'The Last Years of the Deltics 1977-1982.'

On 29/10/2020 at 17:19, Crepello said:

That's right Alan--it wasn't applied till later (March 80 I think without checking). I was at the unveiling ceremony at FP. I recall a guy who was driving an 08 urging Allan Baker to hurry up as he had to pull  Tulyar out of the depot for its next working. I was also on the railtour that went via Eastleigh . There are some good pictures in the new Strathwood book (no connection with them) 'The Last Years of the Deltics 1977-1982.'

I had previously thought that several elements were missing from this model compared with the OO model featured as the catalogue image, namely, Rainhill Plaque, white rim wheels, silver handrails to cab doors, red buffer stocks.

However,  on the website in my previous post, I can see that the model dates between 12th July 1979 (White frames added at FP) and 17th March 1981 (Rainhill plaque added at FP).

This obviously represents a wider operating timeframe than that of the OO model, even though my personal memories of 55015 are seeing my first Deltic on 17 Oct 1981 and subsequently seeing it on many occasions as a ubiquitous open day exhibit from 1985 - early 90s.

One other point to note is that on the Farish 47/7 and first run of 55s, the ETH socket was pre painted orange and already fixed to the model. Last months run of 47/4s and this batch of 55s now has a hole in the front end for the socket to be painted and applied by the user.

I purchased mine today in Eastleigh where I first saw it 39 years ago this month. Great model.

Creppello, Maybe you could answer a question that's been on my mind for 39 years? At Eastleigh, was the train dragged backwards around the depot loop or dragged into the works? I have this vague memory of a domino headcode 47 being attached to the rear. The depot loop would seem more sensible in order to turn it for the run to Portsmouth. 

Edited by alan24

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan

Sorry I can't help you on the Eastleigh question. It's 39 years after all! No doubt someone in the DPS could help.

Glad you're happy with your model. I'm not aware of any transfers for the plaque being available, but maybe the demand will come now.

John.

• RMweb Gold

@alan24 and @Crepello Are you talking about The Wessex Deltic railtour of 17/10/1981? If so, then the website sixbellsjunction.co.uk has a great review of the tour and it says that 55015 ran round at Eastleigh on the down platform. Does that help? 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

@alan24 and @Crepello Are you talking about The Wessex Deltic railtour of 17/10/1981? If so, then the website sixbellsjunction.co.uk has a great review of the tour and it says that 55015 ran round at Eastleigh on the down platform. Does that help? 

Thanks Western.

That's the one.

I'll check out that link, thanks.

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

A very trivial and pedantic correction here for Alan24's first post about 'Tulyar'! 

The ETH socket moulding was indeed moulded in orange on 55005 and that it is a small painting job for number 15. However, the hole was definitely there on number 5 for the owner to fit--i remember doing mine. Incidentally, I cut the hose off the moulding for easier body removal.

Thanks are due to Alan as I missed the new black moulding and might have overlooked it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The vanilla non sound 31's seem to have disappeared.....

Yes these were announced as  imminent more than three weeks ago - the suspicious part of my mind wonders if these announcements are more about driving preorders... 

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The vanilla non sound 31's seem to have disappeared.....

I am not sure of what my source was (probably Bachmann), that the 8Fs would appear before the 31s.

We have a predicted date of December/January for the 31s, so a lot may depend if the container spends time off the shores of Felixstowe.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Have just collected my DBSO and West Highland Line 6 coach set from Frizinghall M&Rs (pre-arranged non-contact car park collection only at the moment) .....expensive trip out but can't wait for Santa to come now on Christmas morning !! :yahoo_mini:

• Like 1

Hi Gang,

Well this IS going to be exciting with the DBSOs finally arriving to join all the stock and locos that have been waiting patiently for some considerable time.

Looking forward to receiving a couple of parcels from two different retailers (possibly hedging my bets on availability there!)

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Stu from EGDL said:

Hi Gang,

Well this IS going to be exciting with the DBSOs finally arriving to join all the stock and locos that have been waiting patiently for some considerable time.

Looking forward to receiving a couple of parcels from two different retailers (possibly hedging my bets on availability there!)

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Yeah, I was just looking through my Hattons Order History a few weeks ago and I noticed that I bought the Dapol MK3s for 

my push-pull train six and a half years ago!

• Like 1

Cheltenham Models have the DBSOs in blue grey on eBay for around £46 with free postage, and a multi buy discount makes it about £43 if you want multiple.

In an hour and a half its pay day, so I've been busy on eBay...:rolleyes:

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/11/2020 at 21:14, Mike at C&M said:

I am not sure of what my source was (probably Bachmann), that the 8Fs would appear before the 31s.

We have a predicted date of December/January for the 31s, so a lot may depend if the container spends time off the shores of Felixstowe.

Good point Mike. Felixstowe is choc-a bloc.