Farish Due Soon

Crepello

2 minutes ago, bigP said:

Seems minimum radius for these is 438mm!  Ouch.

Please note: This model has been designed to run on curves of no less than 2nd Radius (438mm). We recommend that you don’t use anything smaller as this may result in the model derailing.

Just noticed this on the TSO paperwork as well, buried in the bottom corner however.

Do we think this is a typo from the OO model, or is N gauge getting more restricted now?

I don't think so. A minimum curvature of 2nd radius has been quite common and recommended in N gauge for many years now. It is just a recommendation and many find they will traverse tighter bends.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, bigP said:

Well, haven't received my DBSOs yet, but an 'instruction' leaflet has appeared on the Bachmann website....

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/dbdocument/1010/F7465 Mk2f DBSO A5.pdf

Seems minimum radius for these is 438mm!  Ouch.

Please note: This model has been designed to run on curves of no less than 2nd Radius (438mm). We recommend that you don’t use anything smaller as this may result in the model derailing.

Just noticed this on the TSO paperwork as well, buried in the bottom corner however.

Do we think this is a typo from the OO model, or is N gauge getting more restricted now?

Regards,

Paul

2nd Radius in N is 263 mm isn't it?

Seems like it's a copy and paste error?

Best

Scott.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, bigP said:

Indeed, but I didn't think in N that 2nd radius was as big as 438mm.  I thought for N it was around 300mm?

Hence wondering if it was a typo.  Maybe they meant 2nd radius N and not 438mm. 

It's obviously a mistake. I'm not even sure if anyone makes N track with a 438mm radius. Quite often they don't even mention the actual measured size but just quote 2nd radius. I'd consider the smallest of the two options to be most likely correct.

I guess they've mentioned a dimension as '2nd radius' on its own could be increasingly confusing or ambiguous. I assume the size came from Peco initially, but now that Farish produce their own track is their 2nd radius the same? And how does it compare with Kato track standard radius curves which seem to have increased in popularity.

Edited by grahame

16 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I can confirm the mk2Fs run fine on my Kato Unitrack, and that's a similar radius to 2nd rad. It's the steps on the corners that stop the couplings moving far enough for 1st radius

Jo

hallo,

As documented on the MK2F thread, if you remove the standard hook coupling and replace with Dapol short shank NEMcoup the coaches will negotiate 1st radius curves even when pushing. And the gap between the coaches is reduced significantly.

es grüßt 

pc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

If they were due this year, chasing them up before the year is two weeks old is probably a little premature. I doubt anyone here has any new insider information. I'd suggest that all bets are off ATM and some patience is best.

34 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Seeing this  thread pop up again got me thinking, is there anything new tooling wise thats actually been announced by Farish and somewhere close to being available now that the 8F is done?

Isn't there an EMU that's been tooled, sorry can't recall the class. Then the existing models partially re-tooled to take sound (5MT and N Class) and the "Parrot" bogie-wagon.

The above said, I don't think that is the way Bachmann plan to do things any more, any future announcements will happen much closer to production, if I recall correctly typically not until the EP stage, news being the subject of quarterly updates.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Seeing this  thread pop up again got me thinking, is there anything new tooling wise thats actually been announced by Farish and somewhere close to being available now that the 8F is done?

The class 319 is at the artwork stage so probably somewhere between 6-12 months away. 

Tom. 

It doesnt look like much is coming from them yet although they did manage a lot before christmas (mk2s, 8F, some 47s/55s and 31s).  Now theyve switched to quarterly announcements which includes new items that are max 3 months away from hitting the shops we should find out sometime by Easter I guess.  Despite this there is the previous announcend 'catalogue' backlog stuff like the 319/158s to still deliver with no eta.

Edited by davebem

Slightly OT but...

One thing that surprises me is the slowness to bring out new liveries on older models.  The 158s and 170s are a good example.  I know these models are far from state-of-art, but this would surely be easy money for Farish if they are not going to update the tooling anytime soon?

Even if we don't see new tooling, there must be a market for Transport for Wales, West Midlands, EMR liveries on 170s?  

I guess it is just availability of production slots and/or slow sales? It is a shame as there is a lot of colour in the modern scene.

On 13/01/2021 at 01:01, fezza said:

I think predictions are difficult at present. The Res and Virgin 47s have been in the catalogues for a very long time but no sign of them on the horizon. The 158 has also gone quiet. 

The last Collectors club magazine had a picture of the 158 CAD, this was also in the last project update video they did on you tube so whilst it may be "quiet" it is still going forward in development

56 minutes ago, fezza said:

Slightly OT but...

One thing that surprises me is the slowness to bring out new liveries on older models.  The 158s and 170s are a good example.  I know these models are far from state-of-art, but this would surely be easy money for Farish if they are not going to update the tooling anytime soon?

Even if we don't see new tooling, there must be a market for Transport for Wales, West Midlands, EMR liveries on 170s?  

The 158 is in development so I cannot see them using the old tooling as most people will wait for the new one, the 170 has been rereleased but not in those colours, have Bachmann/Farish done a TFW, West Midland or EMR train yet? Perhaps they do not yet have permission to do them, I know virgin took a while to allow their livery to appear on models

• RMweb Gold

Class 158 CAD has been shown in the club magazine so it is progressing. It looks a million miles away from the old model so should be worth the wait. I believe once the 319 is out it will pick up pace. 

Tom.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty new to this production game.  Is there a reason why they don't go back and produce 2nd or 3rd runs of older models? Another run of the Black Five, Jubs and Scots for example.  They seem pretty good models and the tooling is there.

Claggy

If they think they can sell 500 but the minimum production order is 1000, then it's probably not going to be made.  They do remake things which sell well and match current technical standards. Older models are being revised for DCC sound and newer decoder interfaces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clagmeister said:

I'm pretty new to this production game.  Is there a reason why they don't go back and produce 2nd or 3rd runs of older models? Another run of the Black Five, Jubs and Scots for example.  They seem pretty good models and the tooling is there.

Claggy

Hi Claggy

There have been second production runs of all three locos you mention, albeit not for a while now. However things have moved on somewhat and I think we may find Bachmann's efforts focussed on making more recent loco-drive models like the Standard Five they are currently working on DCC Next 18 compatible and "plug and play" for DCC sound. 

Hopefully beyond that, in due course we will see other older models re-tooled, changing to coreless motor loco-drive and given the N18/sound treatment. I would like to think the Black Five would be right up there for such treatment if and when that happens (hopefully along with the V2!).

Regards

Roy

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...