o gauge auto couplings

Hi, I would like to build an O gauge shunting layout but there does not seem to be a good reliable auto coupler, either from a stock manufacturer, or UK provider. I realise there are some options but none seem to be 100% reliable and come with a quick easy fit. Does any manufacturer have an equivalent of a nem pocket?

0 gauge has been (until recently) a modellers scale, as against an R-T-R scale.

Also, for most, it is relatively easy to use scale couplings, plus they look better.

If you want a more appropriate/discrete coupling for UK stock, you will have 

to make your own and fit them the 'hard' way,

There are a number of options for auto-couplers in 0, just search for

'0 Gauge Auto Couplings' , there is a large thread in the 7mm section.

I cannot see any manufacturer making a coupling pocket for 0 gauge, there

wouldn't be the demand,

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

0 gauge has been (until recently) a modellers scale, as against an R-T-R scale.

Also, for most, it is relatively easy to use scale couplings, plus they look better.

If you want a more appropriate/discrete coupling for UK stock, you will have 

to make your own and fit them the 'hard' way,

There are a number of options for auto-couplers in 0, just search for

'0 Gauge Auto Couplings' , there is a large thread in the 7mm section.

I cannot see any manufacturer making a coupling pocket for 0 gauge, there

wouldn't be the demand,

Agree.  One of the great features of 0 gauge for me is the ability to use prototypical couplings with relative ease.  I spent 30 or so years in 00 having to put up with Kadees (which, to be fair, are probably the best autocoupler out there, IMO)

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrianWillco said:

Does any manufacturer have an equivalent of a nem pocket?

In a word, No.

For UK outline O, the only auto-couplers are after-market types. The R-T-R boom in recent years has all used scale 3-link or screw-link couplers; there is no O Scale equivalent of the tension-lock coupler that is standard (with variations) in OO.

There are no Kadee O Scale couplers that are the equivalent of the HO scale NEM couplers with the 'swallow tails' to fit NEM pockets, because - as above - there are no NEM pockets in O...!!

Personally I got into UK O Scale a few years ago precisely because I wanted to use scale couplers again, after using Kadees on my British HO stock. Not only did they look wrong, I got bored with them - although weirdly I don't get bored with them on my US outline stuff!! So, I wanted to use scale couplers, but not in the small scales, having tried them in 4mm scale many years ago.

Half the fun of a shunting layout in O anyway is being involved in the coupling & uncoupling, rather than just sitting and twiddling a controller and switching points.

• Agree 2

I have some of my stock fitted with Dingham couplings. You have to have heights set up correctly. Also they aren't great on the new peco set track curves. I've had to modify some to get them to work better.

Marc