Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Does this qualify?

IMG_6823.jpg.72f27f1eae01dc79c9ffb65630e2c773.jpg

Don't think I've ever seen a 2-6-4 tender engine before.  Tender looks like  one of those door closers 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

39 minutes ago, russ p said:

Don't think I've ever seen a 2-6-4 tender engine before.  Tender looks like  one of those door closers 

They are Austrian, and being Compounds feature in John van Riemsdyk's 'Compound Locomotives' book. I've just finished reading this, and it's a must for anyone who wants to look at photos of ugly locomotives. Just because the Midland managed to make some beautiful looking compounds didn't stop the rest of the World producing weird and ugly ones. 

Speaking of the Midland, how about the NCC's 3 foot gauge Atlantic tanks for ugliness? 

https://www.ballycastlehistory.com/meccano-magazine-1937.html 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

GWR 15xx (Wiki commons image)

1200px-GWR_Class_15xx_0-6-0_No_1501_(758

And their possible 'inspirations' the USA tanks ( Wikipedia image)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USATC_S100_Class#/media/File%3AKESR_22_Maunsell_(Southern_62).JPG

Both functional admittedly but well away from the Victorian elegance of, say, the Midland Spinners or Compounds.

More up to date, Duck-face Shinkansen (Japan-guide.com image)

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018_tokaido.html

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jonny777 said:

For EMUs I would have to say these things. 

1280215047_458022claphamjunc902.jpg.c948fd8031fb53287bfccadf4f9ea524.jpg

I mean, they already had the cab design of the 442s. To cut costs they could have ditched the curved cab windows; but who in heavens name thought this was a decent front end design for a 21st century train?

I’d say the cold dead hand of Oliver Bulleid has a part to play, by way of the SUBs, EPBs, CEP/CIG etc, PEP and derivates, 313s, eyc

7 minutes ago, number6 said:

Is there an aesthetically pleasing Irish loco? 

Most of them.

A fair few were virtually exact copies of Midland Railway locomotives.

Dunluce Castle is very similar to a 2P.

spacer.png

How about Maeve? Looks a bit like a Royal Scot.

spacer.png

Fowler 2-6-4T

spacer.png

Then there was all the Caledonian influenced 4-4-0 and 0-6-0s.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I mean, they already had the cab design of the 442s. To cut costs they could have ditched the curved cab windows; but who in heavens name thought this was a decent front end design for a 21st century train?

Reminds me of those breeds of dog that look like they've run in to a wall at speed.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

The original DMU's for the Glasgow - Edinburgh service - the Class 126, has to be considered as one of the worst looking.

That batch had a reasonable cab front, but the intermediate cars for joining 2 x 3 car sets had an a gangway connection instead and looked simply awful. They later had the corridor connectors removed, but did this improve the front end at all - not in the slightest! The later batches for the Ayr services had split 4 character either side of the gangway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

The original DMU's for the Glasgow - Edinburgh service - the Class 126, has to be considered as one of the worst looking.

That batch had a reasonable cab front, but the intermediate cars for joining 2 x 3 car sets had an a gangway connection instead and looked simply awful. They later had the corridor connectors removed, but did this improve the front end at all - not in the slightest! The later batches for the Ayr services had split 4 character either side of the gangway.

Thanks Kevin, I had forgotten about those. 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Most of them.

A fair few were virtually exact copies of Midland Railway locomotives.

Dunluce Castle is very similar to a 2P.

spacer.png

How about Maeve? Looks a bit like a Royal Scot.

spacer.png

Jason

That is a pretty-looking locomotive. Looks like it has a touch of a Jubilee about it. Stanier gets everywhere!

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks Kevin, I had forgotten about those. 

I used to go to school at Bishopbriggs for a few years and these monstrosities went past all day. One day, one broke down opposite the school grounds, it took at least an hour to shift it. There was a huge bank up of other trains behind it.

I did see some of the trials for the Push-Pull services, some with Class 37's or 25's.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, jonny777 said:

A Class 126 with fairings?

• RMweb Gold

I'll offer up the South African S class. But, once again, it does what it says on the tin (well, sort of) 

There is also an Australian (or Tasmanian) Garrat that is a real horror. The chief engineer resigned, rather than be associated with it (allegedly).   

35 minutes ago, EddieB said:

I must confess to a soft spot for many of the nominees, from the Q1 to the Gölsdorf 2-6-4.

Here’s my bête noir (or its Spanish equivalent), a Crosti conversion of a Norte 2-8-0.  (Not my photo).

image.jpeg.f83ec0a48949193901ea7f9bb20eba6b.jpeg

The Ford Edsel of the locomotive world!

(Google edsel and see...)

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

image.png.7481286f9932bf434b86ac3386da32d6.png

I think commentary is superfluous.....  Henry Hoy's 1903 effort for the L&Y.

Sorry the 2-4-2 attached by mistake and I couldn't edit it out

image.png

Edited by A Murphy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

That is a pretty-looking locomotive. Looks like it has a touch of a Jubilee about it. Stanier gets everywhere!

Not bad but they do look a bit like a knock-off version of the real thing! Or a sketch done without looking at the subject. I’m very keen on funny proportioned old fashioned tinplate models and lots of Irish prototypes have that air about them. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

I'll offer up the South African S class. But, once again, it does what it says on the tin (well, sort of) 

There is also an Australian (or Tasmanian) Garrat that is a real horror. The chief engineer resigned, rather than be associated with it (allegedly).   

You mean the Australian Standard Garratt?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Standard_Garratt

Some were built in the Victorian railways workshop, where apparently they were considered so bad that they refused to attach their builders plates!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1