Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, swampy said:

How about the Camden and Amboy 6-2-0.

620.png

Remember, the picture is just that, a picture. However, the Taff Vale had some 4-2-0 locomotives from America. That must have been.... Err.... Interesting...

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, pH said:

Algerian Garratt of the 1930s:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27862259@N02/7810806338

Not quite sure, but I think this was the first steam locomotive to have electrically-driven valve gear.

Edit: The Algerian Garretts were very unfortunate, being in the wrong network, at the wrong time. Quite a handsome locomotive;  with Cossard gear, and the electrically driven reverser. Not as I said earlier, with electrical valve gear. 

There is a bit of history on the class on Google; check it out. 

Edited by tomparryharry
More information.
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/03/2020 at 16:45, tomparryharry said:

Remember, the picture is just that, a picture. However, the Taff Vale had some 4-2-0 locomotives from America. That must have been.... Err.... Interesting...

The Camden and Amboy 6-2-0 does look odd, at least in the artist's impression, but it was inspired by the L&NWR's "Liverpool"  which looks fairly normal for its time.

428702448_LNWR6-2-0Liverpool.jpg.3c2abd68f2e2221837db925431ff520c.jpg

I suspect the artist's impression is some way from the truth not least because the Camden & Amboy loco was designed to run on anthracite rather than the then more commonly used wood so probably wouldn't have needed a spark arresting chimney,

CORRECTION/UPDATE The artist's impression was based on a photograph of the loco so is horribly true. QV later post and images

Were the Taff Vale's 4-2-0s any stranger than the many other Cramptons with that wheel arranrgement?  Though patented by Thomas Crampton in Britain they became most popular in France where they were built under licence by Cail. I certainly wouldn't characterise any of them as "worst looking". The Cail Cramptons were notably fast for their time at up to 120km/h (75MPH) with the large single driving wheel behind the boiler allowing for a larger boiler and a low centre of gravity. They became so common as  express locos in France, particularly on Est,  that the phrase Prenez le Crampton  meant "take the (express) train" long after the last of them had been replaced by locos with coupled drivers. 

Edited by Pacific231G
update
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

This early cab forward must be a good contender.

Trial+Run+of+No.+21+5+19.jpg

Not just 'This early', but 'The first'! Known on the railroad - the North Pacific Coast, a narrow-gauge line in California - as "The Freak". 

Funny to think it was the forerunner of things like this - a Southern Pacific AC12, their last class of cab-forward:

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/sp4277s.jpg

Edited by pH
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

o0kZPlibyQQpWoLJb5HDglwch39JcYhN08twc519

Italian Gr 670. They actually produced 43 of them! Four cylinder compounds - 2 high pressure cylinders on one side, 2 low pressure cylinders on the other. Apparently they waddled quite a bit. 

As if that wasn't bonkers enough, one was fitted with a Franco-Crosti boiler. On the tender. At least they covered it up! 

CluGBr-TNydsFAuQrp9y16hPrpIBgqHcNnu4HPeI

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

The Camden and Amboy 6-2-0 does look odd, at least in the artist's impression, but it was inspired by the L&NWR's "Liverpool"  which looks fairly normal for its time.

428702448_LNWR6-2-0Liverpool.jpg.3c2abd68f2e2221837db925431ff520c.jpg

I suspect the artist's impression is some way from the truth not least because the Camden & Amboy loco was designed to run on anthracite rather than the then more commonly used wood so probably wouldn't have needed a spark arresting chimney,

Were the Taff Vale's 4-2-0s any stranger than the many other Cramptons with that wheel arranrgement?  Though patented by Thomas Crampton in Britain they became most popular in France where they were built under licence by Cail. I certainly wouldn't characterise any of them as "worst looking". The Cal Cramptons were notably fast for their time at up to 120km/h (75MPH) with the large single driving wheel behind the boiler allowing for a larger boiler and a low centre of gravity. They became so common as  express locos in France, particularly on Est,  that the phrase Prenez le Crampton  meant "take the (express) train" long after the last of them had been replaced by locos with coupled drivers. 

I'll need to check it out, but I'd suggest reading part 10 of the RCTS bible, where there are some notes on the subject. The Crampton is well respected for speed, but as a single driver locomotive, on a mineral railway must have been tough work.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 5944 said:

o0kZPlibyQQpWoLJb5HDglwch39JcYhN08twc519

Italian Gr 670. They actually produced 43 of them! Four cylinder compounds - 2 high pressure cylinders on one side, 2 low pressure cylinders on the other. Apparently they waddled quite a bit. 

As if that wasn't bonkers enough, one was fitted with a Franco-Crosti boiler. On the tender. At least they covered it up! 

CluGBr-TNydsFAuQrp9y16hPrpIBgqHcNnu4HPeI

That's interesting. We were only discussing imaginary locomotives the other day! Imaginary? I think not...

29 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

How about the Chesapeake & Ohio M-1 Gas Turbine loco:-

C&O M-1

Cheers

Darius

That's not too bad imho, much uglier was the Norfolk & Western version, now that was not pretty at all.

within these shores, I nominate the truly hideous diesel shunter by I think, Rolls Royce that has been featured in one of the industrial topics on here. Somebody was smoking something when that thing was designed.

Found it!

Edited by Allegheny1600
Added link
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

That's not too bad imho, much uglier was the Norfolk & Western version, now that was not pretty at all.

within these shores, I nominate the truly hideous diesel shunter by I think, Rolls Royce that has been featured in one of the industrial topics on here. Somebody was smoking something when that thing was designed.

Found it!

I don’t think you can say that whatever that is has been designed, more thrown together (or thown at!).  It’s fitted with vacuum brakes for passenger work, which adds a layer of weirdness to it.  Got character, though, crying out to be modelled... 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

How about the Chesapeake & Ohio M-1 Gas Turbine loco:-

C&O M-1

Cheers

Darius

image.png.cb6cae84608b9be38a17c175555bf570.png

Inspired, in my view.

It could find a place in a Star Trek episode, on a planet largely comprised of coal!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

image.png.cb6cae84608b9be38a17c175555bf570.png

Inspired, in my view.

It could find a place in a Star Trek episode, on a planet largely comprised of coal!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

If largely comprised of coal, they wouldn't need such a beast, as supplies would be close at hand!

2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

If largely comprised of coal, they wouldn't need such a beast, as supplies would be close at hand!

Nit-picker !!

It's a locomotive, Jim - but not as we know it.

The turbine loco would be used to haul coal from further afield to the intergalactic export base, once supplies in the immediate vicinity of the base itself were exhausted.

It is well known that the worst job on a Warp Factor 56 coal hauler ship is that of the stoker - average shift endurance 15 seconds. These coal hauler ships carry water in their bunkers on the return voyage, as the planet in question has no native water and the turbine locos need water for their boilers - despite having condensers.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I'll need to check it out, but I'd suggest reading part 10 of the RCTS bible, where there are some notes on the subject. The Crampton is well respected for speed, but as a single driver locomotive, on a mineral railway must have been tough work.

There's a "film" of the Camden and Aboy loco here

https://youtu.be/qcgd0OQUTBc?t=136

I have now found three photograph of this beast and must apologise to the shade of the 19th Century artist who drew it. It really did look like that (and in fact was obviously coped from this photograph

1784404171_No50crampton.jpg.ecc864430573c3f558c2305b076e2286.jpg

Thie above is claimed to be the oldest photograph of an American locomotive though another image, a daguerreotype perhaps?, actually looks older

2127754978_CamdenAboy6-2-0vearlyphoto.jpg.5b5c218cd0ea116f3d7a945f8b07e47d.jpg

Clearly te driver and fireman didn't have to be on speaking terms as they occupied totally separate places of work.

1786941518_CamdenAboy6-2-0sideelevation.jpg.bf59c57c885882dd0b5c9a76aac88987.jpg

1982885719_CamdenAboy6-2-0sideview.jpg.382da91b287e11cfbc52b762da1e33da.jpg

Note in this third photo the brakeman's hutch in the back of what looks like a combined tender and caboose. The wooden infilling between the spokes of the driver was apparently common practice for the flywheels of mill engines in Britain at that time though never adopted here for locomotives.

It's curious that these locos are so odd looking because the Norris brothers buit other Cramptons that don't look like they were designed by W. Heath Robinson after a heavy night in the pub .  The 6-2-0s didn't fare well on the C&A

https://www.steamlocomotive.com/locobase.php?country=USA&wheel=6-2-0&railroad=ca

Apparently the track wasn't up to the speeds they were capable of so all eight of them were converted to 4-4-0 "Americans" and in the form  survived into the 1860s.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

1786941518_CamdenAboy6-2-0sideelevation.jpg.bf59c57c885882dd0b5c9a76aac88987.jpg

Note in this third photo the brakeman's hutch in the back of what looks like a combined tender and caboose. The wooden infilling between the spokes of the driver was apparently common practice for the flywheels of mill engines in Britain at that time though never adopted here for locomotives.

It's curious that these locos are so odd looking because the Norris brothers buit other Cramptons that don't look like they were designed by W. Heath Robinson after a heavy night in the pub .  The 6-2-0s didn't fare well on the C&A

https://www.steamlocomotive.com/locobase.php?country=USA&wheel=6-2-0&railroad=ca

Apparently the track wasn't up to the speeds they were capable of so all eight of them were converted to 4-4-0 "Americans" and in the form  survived into the 1860s.

It looks like they just couldn't help themselves and modelled it on a US Stagecoach? With one big wheel at the back, and the driver sitting high up.

stagecoach.jpg.196b86fea9df65edea414a790980842b.jpg

Ref/ (C) https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/332210909987210259/

• Funny 2