Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.

DRG BR 97 in wartime Austrian service. The additional plates added to the original 1921 design make the loco look very top heavy...

Brass Micro Metakit model (foto Frits Osterthun)

02804H-Lv.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, maico said:

DRG BR 97 in wartime Austrian service. The additional protecton plates added to the original 1921 design make the loco look very top heavy...

Brass Micro Metakit model

02804H-Lv.jpg

That's magnificent!

I think it's in the wrong topic though, it's certainly NOT bad looking even if it's not beautiful, it is definitely powerful looking and that gives it a beauty of its own.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Allegheny1600 said:

That's magnificent!

I think it's in the wrong topic though, it's certainly NOT bad looking even if it's not beautiful, it is definitely powerful looking and that gives it a beauty of its own.

What he said. Germanic locomotives of that era have a definite aesthetic and design style. 

Mind you, there were some pretty odd things on rails further South 

FDBC11E3-FC2D-4D6F-817E-DBCBB9D152D3.jpeg.16c43b4d98576c3ab9f0858509c49fa1.jpeg

D7C48119-CFCD-40DE-B474-2C07BFB15438.jpeg.3e88cbb98c1a026da11d3119c87380d9.jpeg

.. and I can’t work out how THIS motion operated..

45E03DF1-FE52-4FF5-BCB3-432297732C30.jpeg.bf6a4f9213b4a2619f73d14ed8161cb5.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maico said:

DRG BR 97 in wartime Austrian service. The additional plates added to the original 1921 design make the loco look very top heavy...

02804H-Lv.jpg

You don't get many 2-12-2 tank engines. How does it cope with corners - does it have radial driving axles like the Fieldbahn 0-8-0 tanks?

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, maico said:

02804H-Lv.jpg

Seems to have been a rack engine, judging from the short sequence of photos starting with this one:-

[276/365] ÖBB 297 bzw. DR 97.4

Either last in service 1963, or last overhauled in 1963, my German isn't good enough to differentiate..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Seems to have been a rack engine, judging from the short sequence of photos starting with this one:-

[276/365] ÖBB 297 bzw. DR 97.4

Either last in service 1963, or last overhauled in 1963, my German isn't good enough to differentiate..

https://www.erzbergbahn.at/galerie/

Similar beasties (I can't be sure of the exact class without searching for old slides) were still operating in 1975. 

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, rockershovel said:

What he said. Germanic locomotives of that era have a definite aesthetic and design style. 

Mind you, there were some pretty odd things on rails further South 

.. and I can’t work out how THIS motion operated..

45E03DF1-FE52-4FF5-BCB3-432297732C30.jpeg.bf6a4f9213b4a2619f73d14ed8161cb5.jpeg

It's Klose linkage; not a valve gear but a way to achieve the effect of variable-length coupling rods, allowing driving axles to steer themselves around sharp curves. Used extensively and with considerable success on the Austrian-built railways of Bosnia-Hercegovina.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

https://www.erzbergbahn.at/galerie/

Similar beasties (I can't be sure of the exact class without searching for old slides) were still operating in 1975. 

You may be thinking of class 95 "Bergkonigin" (Mountain Queen), which were also 2-10-2 tank locos. 95 027 is still operational on the Rubelandbahn.

This is a 4 cylinder superheated 2-10-2, one of a kind I believe. The rack is the Abt sytem.

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

It's Klose linkage; not a valve gear but a way to achieve the effect of variable-length coupling rods, allowing driving axles to steer themselves around sharp curves. Used extensively and with considerable success on the Austrian-built railways of Bosnia-Hercegovina.

See: http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/klose/klosetothe.htm

2 hours ago, GeoffAlan said:

I think the Crosti Boilered 9Fs were classically ugly. They even looked a bit odd when they reverted to normal boilers.

Whereas the normal 9F looks great.

Franco-crosti anything looks pretty unsightly, I think, but these are probably the front-runners

4ED23CB1-3820-4A24-9A3E-4AF7BB1B956B.jpeg.5aa18d516d698301d3c99bb043b9d129.jpeg

336EFBE1-4E6B-4F76-A9F1-A8A7DCC2B506.jpeg.98695ef7a0edf7374242842e0633d04c.jpeg

and the aforementioned Belgian contraption 

C2047C8C-A9F1-45C4-874D-AE673A1D44E0.jpeg.87630f74c1e24d9d43478a7d3cf4493f.jpeg

20 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

You don't get many 2-12-2 tank engines. How does it cope with corners - does it have radial driving axles like the Fieldbahn 0-8-0 tanks?

I don't know but here's the Ho model

DSC_2024.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, GeoffAlan said:

I think the Crosti Boilered 9Fs were classically ugly. They even looked a bit odd when they reverted to normal boilers.

I think the rebuilt Crostis look better than the standards. Not having smoke deflectors helps.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, GeoffAlan said:

Weren't the Croatian boilrred versions only 8f's?

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2020 at 12:55, DavidB-AU said:

It needs a nose like that when going half the speed of sound.

Apparently it's built like that to reduce noise levels, especially when entering & leaving tunnels.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2020 at 19:13, maico said:
On 02/06/2020 at 22:31, pete_mcfarlane said:

I don't know but here's the Ho model

They were built to replace the class 97-2xx class which were 0-6-2 rack tanks.

The idea of the 97.4xx class (the 2-12-2RTs) was, as I understand it, to reduce double heading by these smaller locos on the Erzgebirge line.

There were only 2 members of the class because they were unsuccessful, probably because they strruggled with curves.

The 0-6-2RTs outlasted them.

They were themselves a development of the 97.3xx class which was an 0-12-0 rack tank.

I think these were more successful.

Ransome Wallis observes of the 0-12-0RTs that "considerable play was arranged on the 1st,5th and 6th axles."

Most of this info was taken from the Last Steam Locomotives of Western Europe, Ian Allen 1976 (2nd edn).

In simple terms the point of the Klein Lindner driving system used under the Feldbahn tanks was that the wheels rotated around the drive axles on a hollow axle. 

They were engaged by a ball and pin mechanism allowing the wheels to adapt to the curve.

The wheels could adapt to the curve whilst the valve gear remained in a parallel position.

This was achieved by having the valve gear arranged around an outside frame.

Some-one in Germany has built a live steam model of a Resita tank using this method of articulation.

I think that he goes under the username of Waldbahner and has a video of it on the Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling site.

It is certainly worth a look if you want complicated model steam locos!

I just stick with Lady Anne derivatives.

Ian T

• Informative/Useful 2

On 04/06/2020 at 07:09, rockershovel said:

Turf-burner, for the bonus point! 

Happy to oblige 

Posted April 21, 2018 

Tending to fence-sitting myself, I’ve always enjoyed excitingly bold projects risked by others. I once saw Bulleid’s CIE tufburner standing outside Inchicore works in the early 1960s and was instantly  captivated. 

There is some interesting material on the Douglas Self Crosti boiler site about Bulleid’s 1940s enthusiasm for turf burning that attracted the CIE Board to him at the time of the Milne (of the GW) 1947 visitation.

In particular how the poor old GS&WR Coey 1907 2-6-0 no. 635 got butchered by Bulleid into an extraordinary Crosti style turf burner in 1951 after what must have been a refreshing jaunt on the Irish taxpayers to post–war style setting Italy.

1579647931_originsofTB.jpg.490d2cbb675489388e424486c8bd4cf6.jpg

This pic has the diagram of how the guinea pig was intended to work (coloured up by me – with an approximation of the original loco top left, the actual conversion right and the later deepened heat exchangers (GW pannier style) middle left 

DS comments “As originally built, the steaming was awful, and a forced-draught fan was later added, powered by a Leyland bus engine carried on a wagon behind the tender” 

We all know the actual boxy turf-burner CC! built in the 1950s (that I saw at Inchicore) by OVSB with John Click, his Leader class engineering assistant seconded from BR .

It was simpler and lighter than Leader with a central boiler (double Fairlie style) with a complex central cube shaped un water-jacketed firebox with thermal siphons.  It adopted piston rather than sleeve valves but still used leaky oil baths enclosing the chain drive to the six wheel bogies. Turf and water storage was at either end.

turfburner.jpg.5ff9459c2fcbba9423f73a1be8c9af1f.jpg

It ran several times at 70mph, throwing turf sparks until fitted with spark arresters. Visibility and signal sighting was poor (smoke deflectors were only a partial remedy)  It was clear to Click that redesign of both configuration and the double boiler  was necessary before a new class of 50 could be introduced (dual fuelled oil/turf). 

But CIE decided instead to dieselise at about the time of Bulleid’s retirement to Malta in 1959. Bulleid seemed to regard it as his private sports car; driving it himself, he treated visiting dignitaries to high speed joy rides.

As armchair CME I now propose to the Board of Imaginary Locomotives a 1959 redesign as a non condensing steam turbine/electric.
I fancy a 2 unit: tender/boiler & generating station (that might have multiple unit capabilities for powering 4 car trains of elderly Irish coaches on inter urban stopping services).

Could such a project be multi-fuelled ?

oops - pic has not survived (imho this thread gets censored !)

dh

Edited by runs as required
Heh! Heh! I've beaten that Censor !
  • Like 1