Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lantavian said:

"In Nevada, the old Ludlow & Southern's shop crew created a most unusual 'locomotive' which proves the point that there is a prototype for ANYTHING. 

"The crew mounted a Holt tractor motor and transmission on the remains of old 4-6-0 #2. This photo is a little old & weathered but you can see what a shop crew can/could do with a little imagination. OK, who will build an operating model of this one? I dare you!!!

"The photo was by Richard Berry from Myrick's 'Railroads of Nevada Vol. 2'. These books are full of cool and unusual locos and cars."

http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=3740&forum_id=46&page=1

There does not seem to be anywhere for the driver.

And are those centre drivers flangeless?

Should not be too difficult to replicate as per the challenge issued. Plenty of space for a small motor/gear set in that fuel tank.

This appeared in the “prototype for everything” thread, but I thought it deserved a mention here... beauty is famously in the eye of the beholder, but this appears to have been assembled from completely mismatched parts.. “if it looks right, it is right” seems to play no role..

5B63A4A1-40FA-4876-A66D-6EE26A278E17.jpeg.26ee69d8dbd930a8fbd7215a8875d76a.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Similar idea, only less attractive. Made out of a Foden steam tractor.

Beaudesert_Shire_Tramway_Foden_1944.jpg.2428cb03de6eee1c10c5a10155b698ae.jpg

I'd say "quaint", and its probably a solution to a particular problem.  Unlike the almost "factory" appearance of the previous example, it may have been an onsite concoction.

In terms of power classification, I'd suggest a -3F?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'd say "quaint", and its probably a solution to a particular problem.  Unlike the almost "factory" appearance of the previous example, it may have been an onsite concoction.

The previous one is, in fact, by Fowler - who really ought to have known better.

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Misread the captions, there are several (otherwise unspecified) Fowler’s in the thread, but that one is a Maclaren 

I bet its quick off the mark!

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2020 at 21:44, rodent279 said:

That would appear to be a traction engine of some sort mounted on a wagon chassis. Well, don't knock it until you've tried it.....

I'm not convinced it's anything more than a photographic mockup, as some of the perspective doesn't seem to be quite right.  And what's going on with the sandpipes and no visible supply of sand?

It's not obviously a bad idea though and less weird looking than an Aveling and Porter equivalent.  A naked Sentinel would look pretty strange too and they were very successful.

On 23/07/2020 at 09:00, Hroth said:

Spares box bodge-up. 

1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

I'm not convinced it's anything more than a photographic mockup, as some of the perspective doesn't seem to be quite right.  And what's going on with the sandpipes and no visible supply of sand?

It's definitely real, there's an in service photo (minus sandpipes) here: 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 22/07/2020 at 21:44, rodent279 said:

That would appear to be a traction engine of some sort mounted on a wagon chassis. Well, don't knock it until you've tried it.....

How would you try it?. Start out with one of these I would guess.

Mamod.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

This still seems to be the front-runner...

6428E406-40F0-41F6-9BE8-E7D656D258DA.jpeg.69be12f43c3e8a07ba346443832417e1.jpeg

Looks like someone throw away the general arrangement drawing and shuffled the drawings that were left!

Kev.

14 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Turbine locos are pretty weird looking. How about 'Jawn henry' for the ultimate box on (lots of ) wheels?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_and_Western_Railway_2300

I will beg to differ. “Jawn Henry” has a certain economy of line, and all its bogies and wheel sets appear to belong to the same loco. The Pennsylvania GG-1 electric isn’t much different, in some respects. The Union Pacific GTELs were very similar to the then-current diesels. 

The LMS “Turbomotive” was really quite handsome; the Pennsylvania RR 6-8-6 had a certain brutish charm. The GT3 was quite conventional in outline, reliable in service and appears to have been liked by its crew; the Swedish 2-8-0s were largely conventional. 

No, they were just an idea that wasn’t right, and by the time they were sufficiently understood to be workable, the accepted answer (diesels) was something else. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 27/06/2020 at 10:40, Flying Pig said:

Depends on what you're after, but that configuration can be quite effective:

What a waste of a decent car .... w***ers !

• Agree 1